Join our zoo community

Trip to edinburgh

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by banham.tiger, 5 Jan 2015.

1. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

Hi all

very soon i will be going to Edinburgh zoo for the first time :)and i have a few questions.

1) how long should i need to see everything and revisit some places?

2) do i need to book to see the pandas and if i do when?

3) what big cat species do they have?

4) are there any indoor enclosures to go in to if i need to escape the rain?

thanks hope to hear some answers soon:)

2. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Based on my brief visit a few weeks ago

1) how long should i need to see everything and revisit some places?
    I'd plan to be there all day, much the same as any zoo :)

2) do i need to book to see the pandas and if i do when?
    Normally yes, although I was there early December and because it was quiet, visitors were allowed to come and go as they pleased.

3) what big cat species do they have?
    I actually didn't see any as i'd read some had moved, but I believe there are still Lions there

4) are there any indoor enclosures to go in to if i need to escape the rain?
    Yes there are various indoor viewing areas, including the Panda, Koala, Monkeys and others

3. Tunanta

Tunanta Well-Known Member

Just to add a few comments from a regular visitor:

1) Definitely most of the day
    2) Pandas was still free access when I was there the other day, but if it is a busier day if may well be ticketed so if they are important to you it is worth booking-you can book when you book tickets online or if you are getting to the zoo early they save some for booking on the door
    3) Asiatic lions & Sumatran tigers. I think there is still supposed to be something left in big cat row (leopard or jaguar) but due to leave shortly.
    4) In addition to those listed above: Budongo Chimp House, Brilliant Birds & Magic Forest (small monkeys etc) are all quite big ones you could spend a chunk of time in and many smaller indoor viewing areas/shelters throughout the park

Enjoy your visit

4. Davef68

Davef68 Well-Known Member

As I understand it all the other big cats (Jaguars and Leopards) have now left Edinburgh or are off show.

Other houses with shelter include Anteaters, Lions, Rhinos, penguins and pygmy hippos.