Join our zoo community

Tropical Birdland Tropical Birdland - a great day out

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by adrian1963, 20 Oct 2014.

1. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Arrived just after 10.00am on a dry but chilly morning mind you it was a lot warmer then when I set out, the walk from the bus stop was as stated on the web-site and yes it is a little steep hill leading to the entrance mind you not too bad on the way to the collection but coming back was a different story.

My first impressions of the collection on entering the car park were that it was going to be a good well looked after collection, on the way to the entrance payment area there were a couple of aviaries one containing Snow Owls and the other containing a mix of birds this was a great way to show off what was to come

The collection itself was very, very interesting with many lifer species for myself in captive collections some of the species were very interesting to see for the first time and I didn’t realise how different some of the species actually looked in real life as compared to photographs (which no matter how good have done them any justice).

I found the antics of the White-Headed Buffalo Weavers very interesting to watch as it appeared at least 2 birds were building nests in the upper parts of one of the trees with the Diamond Doves constantly flying around and the Blacksmith’s Plover/Lapwings walking around your feet this made the walk-through very interesting.
    If you have the time while in the walk-through then check the shrubs and bushes out as you will find many more species hiding within the foliage also why not have a short rest on one of the benches provided and keep any eye on the feeding table as this brings more species out into the open in general I think this is a very impressive walk-through for a small collection.

Now onto other parts of the collection with so many different species around it was very interesting to note that they also had one or two free flying species while you walked around these included the Military Macaws and Yellow-Backed Chattering Lory this being one of the most beautiful looking species within the collection.
    I have never seen so many African Grey Parrots in a collection and to have them in one avairy the size it was made the experience so great and a wonderful insight to the birds actually interacting with each other, there were many more species like this around the collection which made the day so different from collections that have the odd pair of each species.

You can have great views into the hand rearing block which gives you a great insight into what goes on behind the scenes that you usually don’t see was fascinated by the actions of a young Blue and Yellow Macaw in a large plastic box just inside the room from the window this looked very young but wasn’t disturbed by having people looking into the room at any time I was there.

Now onto the Parrot park a great place for young people to get close to such beautiful birds and be educated in the general up keep of these wonderful species and great to have such friendly and knowledgeable staff/volunteers in the area to help people discover the wonderful world of parrots.

Now onto a sore point for some people food the cafe/restaurant caters for both customers and general members of the public which to a small collection like this in a small village is a great way of bringing in extra funds now onto the food itself I must admit I would recommend it to anyone that visits the place as the food was fresh and hot it also looked great and tasted brilliant a little pricey but to someone from the Black Country most places are pricey.

Now onto the negatives must admit only 2 really as this was a wonderful day out firstly I am afraid I am someone who doesn’t like the idea of customers feeding animals no matter what species they are and to let people buy food to feed the birds with and then have notices on the cages stating that the birds within like to bite to me gives out a bad impression, the second negative is the same as most collection there were one or two aviaries that needed a little refurbishment with some of the wooden frontages looking a little worse for wear yet this still didn’t spoil my enjoyment of the day.

Now for my day out rating and experience of the collection rating – with the cost and the entrance fee I will be returning here next month

it must get a 9.5 out of 10

Well done to everyone concerned a great little collection with wonderful staff and a great experience thank you from a very impressed visitor.

SPECIES SEEN TODAY​

AFRICAN GREY APRROT
    ALEXANDERINE PARAKEET
    BARE EYED COCKATOO
    BLACK-HEADED CAIQUES
    BLACKSMITH’S PLOVER/LAPWING
    BLUE & YELLOW MACAW
    BLUE FRONTED AMAZON
    CALIFORNIAN QUAIL
    CAROLINA WOOD DUCK
    CITRON COCKATOO
    COMMON OR INDIAN MYNAH
    CONGO GREY PARROT
    DIAMOND DOVE
    ECLECTUS PARROT
    EMU
    FANTAIL DOVE
    FISCHER’S TURACO
    GALAHA
    GOFFINS COCKATOO
    GREEN-WINGED MACAW
    GREY-HEADED KINGFISHER
    KEA
    LAUGHING KOOKABUURA
    LEADBEATER COCKATOO
    MANDARIN DUCK
    MAXIMIANS POINUS
    MEALY AMAZON
    MEXICAN MILITARY MACAW
    NORTHERN CARDINAL
    ORANGE-HEADED GROUND THRUSH
    ORANGE-WINGED AMAZON PARROT
    PATAGONAIN CONURE OR BURROWING PARROT
    PEACH-FACED LOVEBIRD
    RED BISHOP OR ORANGE WEAVER
    RED-BREASTED GOOSE
    RED-FRONTED KAKARIKI (MUTATION)
    RED-LORED AMAZON
    RED-WINGED LAUGHINGTHRUSH
    RING-NECKED PARAKEET
    SCARLET MACAW
    SENEGAL PARROT
    SILVERY-CHEEKED HORNBILL
    SNOWY OWL
    SUN CONURE
    TRUMPETER HORNBILL
    VILLAGE WEAVER
    WHITE-BELLIED CAIQUE
    WHITE-HEADED BUFFALO WEAVER
    WHITE-RUMPED SHAMA
    YELLOW CROWNED AMAZON
    YELLOW-BACKED CHATTERING LORY
    YELLOW-COLLARED MACAW
    YELLOW-CROWNED BISHOP

We still have 5 species un-named on the gallery so if anyone can help it would be great

hope you enjoyed the review.

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If you think that was imporessive, you must see the exhibit at the Parrot Zoo.

What did you think of the chameleon cockatoo aviary?

I went last year and enjoyed my visit, my previous visit was in 1989, so I was long overdue a return.

3. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

Thank-you for the report. I already wanted to visit this place, now I want to go even more.

4. adrian1963

unfortunately Rob I couldn't see it

5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks adrian1963 for this intresting review and indeed a nice collection of birds ! Also like your photos in the Gallery !

6. adrian1963

Many thanks for your help in identifying some of the species in the gallery and thanks for the kind comments about the photographs Vogelcommando.

7. billnaylor

billnaylor Member 5+ year member

Enjoyed your posting, a very descriptive good read. More zoos (and some private keepers) are keeping African greys and other large parrots in flocks rather than in pairs. I agree the interaction is more natural and it reveals behaviour which one would not normally see.

8. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Thanks for this posting and the photos. I often pass the signs on the way to Twycross and you've inspired me to pop in next time I go that way.

9. bongorob

That is because the species is invisible. :D

10. adrian1963

I know I saw the sign with the eyes that's why I said I couldn't see it lol

11. adrian1963

12. billnaylor

Indentify starling

It's a long tailed Glossy Starling (Lamprotornis-caudatus)

13. billnaylor

Apologies absence of glasses. Hence Identify became indentify

14. adrian1963

Many thanks for the ID

15. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just read your review, which was excellent and sets me up nicely for a visit next week, so thanks for that.

16. bongorob

It is a nice place Jackwow. My last visit was December 2014, and they had a grey-headed kingfisher in the walk through aviary.

17. adrian1963

I will be visiting again shortly and am really looking forward to it many thanks to all for your kind comments.

18. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member