Join our zoo community

Trump Ends African Elephant Trophy Ban

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Loxodonta Cobra, 16 Nov 2017.

1. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What Is with people! I won't get political on here but this is absolutely stupid and frankly promotes barbarity to such a beautiful species.

3. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Reasons why this happened:
    Trumps sons are big into game hunting.
    Also, once again he has reversed a law set by Obama. I think he is just trying to be as anti-Obama as possible. Especially with reversing the progress Obama made with Cuba. The fact that the POTUS can just revert laws and agreements like this just shows how broken this system is.

TheMightyOrca likes this.
  4. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

First of all I am not a hunter myself, nor do I ever have any desire to hunt or have trophy animals in my house at any time, but I feel this isn't a bad move.

At first glance hunting seems bad; after all, how could killing animals be a good thing for the animals?
    However, hunting allows for very precise population management wherever it is needed, and the money earned by hunting tags (often very expensive!) technically all goes to conservation-related purposes; by hunting a few older and genetically less important (and in some cases even dangerous!) animals, the government earns a lot of money that usually all goes back to nature, with which the rest of that species, and potentially many others, can be 'saved'. In this regard I think "trophy hunting" is very often mislabelled as being somewhat synonymous with "poaching," though the two are nothing alike as poaching is illegal and not supported by the government.

There are, of course, countries that misuse this concept and use trophy hunting of rich westerners to make themselves richer instead of spending it on conservation, but as far as I know this is the minority of countries. I'm not knowledgeable enough about the hunting world to know if Zimbabwe and Zambia fall under those countries.

In the environmental aspect of things, I feel this may have been the first thing that the new POTUS has done right so far... Though very controversial, of course.

Last edited: 16 Nov 2017
    arafan, FunkyGibbon and Pleistohorse like this.
  5. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I wouldn't think that that is the minority, on the outside everybody will say that all the money goes into conservation, but in practice you might be surprised....

Another issue by lifting this ban is that it opens a door to poachers who can bribe zimbabwan and zambian officials to get the papers and use this to import poached elephant materials into the US....

6. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

animal_expert01 likes this.
  7. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

8. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The sooner he stops trying to be the opposite to Obama the bloody better, for his sake and the whole of America’s!

9. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

... and the rest of the world.

It just takes me wonder if this change may also have a positiv impact (although with a bad taste then, I must confess): When it would be easier to import elephant products into USA, would it also be easier to bring in living elephants and extend the stock in US-Zoos for breeding purpose? Or is this a different story?

Loxodonta Cobra likes this.
  10. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

11. pachyderm pro

Yes! Their is a god! I really want to remain optimistic but I fear he may try to change it again in the future.

Honestly, doing stuff like this is the last thing that President Trump needs to be doing. If you like him or not, he is still perhaps the most controversial president in American history. He really needs to watch his mouth and just act more like a politician.

On the bright side, Its made for some great SNL sketches :p.

TheMightyOrca and Arizona Docent like this.
  12. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

“Perhaps” is the operating word there, I think. Andrew Jackson marched many thousands of Native Americans to their deaths... and it was only 9 years ago that we had a president who actually invaded another country for very questionable reasons. Ironically, he also did not win the majority vote the first time around (perhaps we’re seeing a trend here...? ;))

13. pachyderm pro

Very much true, but did they generate an equal amount of backlash is Mr. Trump? whether he deserves or not (which is subjective) the response from citizens has been nothing short of crazy to the extreme. Remember inauguration day when Washington became flooded with angry liberals breaking into buildings, starting fires and attacking riot police?

14. pachyderm pro

What exactly happened with this? Did he choose to keep it or did he remove it once more?

animal_expert01 likes this.