Join our zoo community

Trying to get a camera

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by TheEthiopianWolf03, 11 Apr 2018.

1. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

I know absolutely nothing about photography so I’m not entirely sure what was causing the problem. Luckily enough he should be working with better conditions now, primarily outdoors, when photographing animals. Although I’ve heard other people say that the 7D really wasn’t too great a camera (a staff member we spoke to in a camera shop the other week wasn’t very surprised that it hadn’t worked out for the purposes he had needed it for) .

2. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I agree with most of what you say. I have been reasonably pleased with the results I get, although there have been lots of times that I wished I had much larger, and much better quality lenses. The original question mentioned a budget of $1000 for camera and lens. Even used large lenses would be hard to find in the price range, and certainly getting a camera as well would be stretching your luck. By the way, my opinions are only based on my experience, which is not that wide! For many years I have concentrated on using camcorders, and have only fairly recently moved to still photography, so am no expert.

3. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Something I forgot bout with this lens, the front element does not move within the case when focusing, which is a massive nuisance if you are trying press up against windows or fences as it extends/retracts while hunting for focus. Argghhh!

4. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I hate lenses that do this, not only is it irritating but it causes major wear to the motor over time. Most modern lenses have internal focusing fortunately, but obviously they're more expensive.

The major benefit for external focusing is the control of focus breathing, but I still don't like them in zoos.

5. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Apologies to coming to this one late, but in response to the OP's 'what camera should I get?'.. a DSLR.

You will buy into a system that will evolve and grow with you, both in terms of the amount of control you take over light and the conditions, and in physical kit like camera bodies and lenses.

Bridge cameras - the all in one jobs - you can get some OK results but if you are genuinely interested in photography you'll find them frustrating and you'll be buying again.

I don't think there is a bad SLR system on the market. Canon and Nikon are the market leaders (probably for very good reason), and are really different sides of the same coin, it doesn't really matter which route you go down. Whichever feels best in your hands.

The best thing about either one of the systems is getting access to Canon/Nikon lenses, but beware in both cases they do make different ranges. But once you're 'in', you can and will always upgrade. I got my first SLR many many years ago and I don't think I've ever not had a lens or body on my wanted list :)

I will add, as the thread has diverted a bit - that I have a 7DII and although it is a different camera to a 7D it is absolutely superb. Its hard to imagine that pairing it with an L-series lens could deliver disappointing results. I've pushed the ISO right up on mine and have been astonished at how it copes (usually with a 100-400L lens on), so I'd caution against running to Nikon for that reason.
    As noted above though, the full frame bodies are best for low light. Most of my photography away from zoos is outdoor action in reasonable light, hence I have a crop sensor camera; but its zoos where I do find there is little light at times.

But for the OP, you'll be looking at crop-sensor at your budget. Don't worry, they're fine!

Last edited: 26 Apr 2018
    Mehdi likes this.
  6. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

Thanks for this. The 7DII had been absolutely top of my partner’s want list before he stopped taking photographs altogether.

7. MortenJ

MortenJ Member

I might be crazy go for a Nikon d7500 with 18-105 and later at a 55-300

8. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I don't know the prices in Denmark, or the USA where the OP is, but here, the D7500 is over £1100 and the OP has budgeted for a lens too within $1000.

9. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

I'm a long-time Canon stalwart, so I'm surprising myself by saying...

Get a Sony Alpha. There's the α7500, or for a little more the amazing full-frame α7III. The auto-focus is vastly superior to Canon or Nikon, the high ISO performance is better and on the α7III and α7RIII the dynamic range is better than anything other than the Nikon D850, and then the Nikon only wins at low ISOs.

As much as it pains me to say, the Sony mirrorless are faster, have high frame rates, are smaller, lighter, more advanced and if you don't already have a large investment in glass, are a no-brainer at the moment.

10. adrianmannn

adrianmannn New Member

As the long time user of Nikon, it pains me to say this, but buy the camera that feels the most comfortable in your hand.
    Be it Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Sony, Fuji or Panasonic.... There are no really awful cameras, just some are better than others. Money spent on lenses and learning how to use them is the most effective way to get good pictures.