Join our zoo community

Turtle Back Zoo Turtle Back Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 13 Apr 2009.

1. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They're no longer on the species list and there isn't a single mention of them anywhere on the website now, even when you use search. Every single time I plan to go there it rains or something else happens, and my main reason for wanting to go is to see the bontebok :) Thanks for the confirmation, @Ebirah766 !

Ebirah766 likes this.
  2. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

We still have them! In fact now we have two bontebok instead of one. That’s strange it disappeared from the website then again TBZ management is awful lol. In fact the site says we have Parakeets and Lorikeets in our aviary. Which if I recall TBZ never had lorikeets in the aviary to begin with and that’s been up for years! But yeah we still have bontebok! :)

TinoPup likes this.
  3. TinoPup

Awesome, thank you!! Do you happen to work there?

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Yes I do finally gotten a job here rn I’m a farm aid but I work usually at the aviary!

TinoPup likes this.
  5. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

6. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

7. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

I think part of the public response is that the wild bear and deer populations here in NJ are simply out of control. We are densely habitated suburbs that look completely urban, but north-central NJ towns are the only place I ever see wild deer, and yes bears, foraging for food in town parks and on town streets. I don't go a day without seeing a live deer or small group as I run errands. Their last natural habitat in hills has been built up with housing in the Suburban Sprawl of the last 20 years, and there is simply little uninhabited land left where they can go. I travel to rural parts of PA and MD regularly, but the only place I ever see these wild animals is in the suburbs west of NYC. And now we have a governor who has outlawed bear hunting, which has resulted in no way to control the population and increasing numbers of bears in suburban towns. I could be wrong--I live two counties from Essex County--but I have a feeling that frustration with the ever-increasing bear population and encounters with humans in towns has spilled over onto this habitat expansion. It's something along the lines of "We are being overrun by wild bear and can see them all too often in our daily lives! Why on Earth should we spend millions of dollars to make better habitats for three zoo bears when we should be using that money to address the serious problem and dangers of overpopulation?" This is more than a reaction to activists when the entire governing board is unanimous in vetoing the proposal.

Loxodonta Cobra and Yi Qi like this.
  8. AmbikaFan

Cool! Another lady Zoo Chatter from NJ! We rock lol! :D

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is not the human-wildlife conflict has erupted due to no holds barred housing development in prime wildlife habitats?!

Coelacanth18 and StoppableSan like this.
  10. AmbikaFan

Well, the developments aren't in preserves or formerly protected space; with such population density, developers have started using tall hills hilt were once considered to difficult and expensive to build houses on steep inclines, urged on not just by high demand, but the realization that luxury houses with views from high up can command high prices that more than compensate for the expenses incurred clearing trees and building on steep grades.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

These were former wildlands and therefore wildlife habitat! Mind humankind is the main driver behind deforestation not just overseas, but very much at home!

PS do not start me on real estate mumbo jumbo as I have worked in there. No ethics or morality and blood and greed allover!

AmbikaFan and StoppableSan like this.
  12. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

13. AmbikaFan

I just meant that these last vestiges of uninhabited space weren't legally-protected as wildlife preserves. Only the high costs of clearing and grading the mountains/hills kept all that land uninhabited this long in a very densely populated region. Now, we literally have deer and bear in our backyards, probably not so very different from Indian farmers having elephants in theirs.

Huge new White House deregulation is expected this week that will cut out or drastically pare the requirements for environmental study before infrastructure projects. This is largely in direct violation of clean air and water laws, but Trump is using what power he does have to impose such short timelines to expedite build time and lower building costs as to make compliance with existing laws impossible. Always eager to save big business time and money, in this case his primary motivation seems to be to eliminate enough environmental study to allow for 100 miles of new Mexican border wall to be built before the election in 10 months.

14. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Amur Leopard Cub Born:

A female Amur leopard cub was born March 13 to Valeri and Annika. She is their first offspring.

She has been named Nadya (meaning ‘filled with hope’ in Russian), and is being handraised after her Annika failed to nurse her.

The zoo is currently closed due to COVID-19.

Amur Leopard Born at Turtle Back Zoo

15. Ann Esther Sprizzo

Ann Esther Sprizzo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is such exciting news. For a very long time this female was extremely unfriendly to the male but after I think more than two years the zoo’s tenacity has paid off and there is a beautiful little girl. Absolutely delighted!

Kifaru Bwana and Zoofan15 like this.
  16. TinoPup

One of the keepers is featured on an episode of Amazon's new show "Regular Heroes", which celebrates essential workers and helps them out financially. Turtle Back received a large donation of meat, toys, and supplies for the animals. Charlotte will be having her commute expenses and car insurance paid for, and her parents will be receiving some help as well. I met Charlotte earlier this year and I'm so happy to hear she was one of the people selected! Kevin Hart surprises N.J. zookeeper with pandemic supplies on Amazon’s ‘Regular Heroes’

17. TinoPup

Does anyone know where Nandi came from? She's always listed as being a sibling to the trio of boys, but there was no female in their litter.

18. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

TinoPup likes this.
  19. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Since last post:

On June 17th, it was announced that the zoo would be opening the day after. Stipulations include pre-paid reservations to the zoo, people are expected to show up 30 minutes before they are allowed to go in, and face masks/6 feet rule are required. Attractions such as the giraffe feed, goat feed, butterfly tent, bear house, carousel, playgrounds, and the pony ride are closed until Stage 3. However, attractions like the mini-train, paddle boats, mini-golf, and the Tree Top Adventure Course are open to the public.

Turtle Back Zoo is reopening, joining Great Adventure’s drive-thru safari and Cape May Zoo

On July 13th, it has been reported that on July 16th, the Essex County Recreation and Open Space Trust Fund Advisory Board will hold a virtual meeting to discuss plans to repair the bald eagle exhibit that was damaged in a storm a couple of years ago.

Repair Work Possibly Coming For Eagle Exhibit At Turtle Back Zoo

TinoPup likes this.
  20. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

The 2019 International Studbook available on the Cheetah Conservation Fund website shows that she was born on 11/23/18 at Tanganyika Wildlife Park in Kansas. She is a full sibling/littermate to Alvin, Simon and Theodore. The Studbook also shows 2 other littermates (1 male, 1 female) that are apparently still at Tanganyika.

TinoPup likes this.