Join our zoo community

Two new and very exciting papers on the thylacine!

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Surroundx, 27 Sep 2014.

1. Surroundx

Surroundx Well-Known Member

Abstract

David Fleay's 1933 motion film footage of the last captive thylacine at the Beaumaris Zoo in Hobart was thought to be the only film record of this thylacine. The authors provide evidence to confirm that two earlier motion picture films, erroneously dated to 1928, also show the last captive specimen at the zoo.

Sleightholme, Stephen R. and Campbell, Cameron R. (2014). The earliest motion picture footage of the last captive thylacine? Australian Zoologist DOI: 10.7882/AZ.2014.021 [Abstract]

Abstract

The most comprehensive assessment of the breeding season of the thylacine was that undertaken by Eric Guiler of the University of Tasmania in 1961. Guiler based his study on a retrospective analysis of government bounty records. The authors contend that the bounty records contain inherent anomalies that undermine Guiler's findings, and argue that historical newspaper reports, together with museum and zoo records, provide better data to determine the natural boundaries of the breeding season of the thylacine.

Sleightholme, Stephen R. and Campbell, Cameron R. (2014). A retrospective review of the breeding season of the thylacine; Guiler revisited. Australian Zoologist DOI: 10.7882/AZ.2014.020 [Abstract]

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is there any way to read the full text of these papers online?

Re the date of the films, I discussed this previously with Cameron Campbell- the snare mark is evident in the same place on the animal's right hind leg in all three films, so clearly they were all of the same individual- the last thylacine at the Zoo- and so were all made 1933 onwards, not before.

3. Surroundx

Not unless you purchase the articles, or know a person/institution with online access, as far as I am aware. I've posted this elsewhere so hopefully somebody will have access *fingers crossed*

I had never paid close attention before, well spotted! Was it you who originally pointed this out to Campbell then?

4. Pertinax

He told me they were reviewing the authenticity of the dates of the two '1928' films. I noticed the snare mark (highlighted in the Thylacine Museum website) was apparent in all three films and mentioned this, but I think they may have been aware of that already. I tried to line up the striping pattern also but that's not so easy, however I was sure the snare mark was a clincher. Maybe the striping pattern proved to be a match also. I presume these would form the two main aspects of their evidence.

5. Surroundx

There have also been a couple of books published on the thylacine this year. The first time two have been published in the same year as far as I'm aware. So thylacine research certainly isn't static!

Freeman, Carol. (2014). Paper tiger: how pictures shaped the Thylacine. Hobart: Forty South Publishing. 224 pp. [Available from Andrew Isles Natural History Books]

and,

Maynard, David and Gordon, Tammy. (2014). Tasmanian tiger: precious little remains. Launceston: Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery. [Available from Andrew Isles Natural History Books]

6. Pertinax

This can also be found online as the current exhibition/display at the QVMAG. I don't know if the book is the same or has more information- I suspect its the same.

7. Surroundx

It probably has slightly more info. I don't think it would justify publication otherwise. I do have the book, but haven't compared it to the exhibition.

A third book may be published this year, an anthology regarding whether the thylacine is actually extinct. The working title is "The Tasmanian Tiger: Extinct or Extant?", to be published by Strange Nation Publishing, who reprinted the classic Savage Shadow by David O'Reilly, and who also published Australian Big Cats: An Unnatural History of Panthers.

The front and back covers can be seen here:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/13842255/The-Tasmanian-Tiger-Extinct-or-Extant

When I find out more info I'll let forum members know!