Join our zoo community

National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium Two Ways of Seeing a River | Review of the National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 1 Feb 2023.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Photos will be up soon, until then enjoy the last of my adventures from 2022!

Review of the National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium

National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium

This museum and aquarium complex is situated in Dubuque, Iowa. It originally opened in 1982 as a museum dedicated to riverboats; however, it was expanded and refocused into its current form in mid-2003. It opened at that time with the goal of reaching new audiences to educate and conserve the Mississippi River. Presently, the collection contains around 200 animal species, represented by 1,800 specimens.

I was fairly impressed with this diverse attraction, as I found myself not just enjoying my time watching aquatic wildlife, but being equally fascinated by all the museum pieces, historical facts, and more. To be honest, I did find the Museum aspect of this facility to be more successful and a bit more fleshed out in comparison to the Aquarium parts. This is certainly not to say that it is an unsatisfactory experience though; it still provides a solid few hours for all parties that may be involved, and they’ll at least leave with a smile on their face. I’ll even admit, I ended up staying here longer than I expected!

Animal Exhibit Complexes

West Building - Between the two main structures that make up this establishment, this is the more successful one in my opinion.

Backwater Marsh – The first exhibit complex one will come across after paying admission, and it offers a great first impression. The entire enclosure consists of a deep yet narrow pool surrounding a good-sized island, which is made up of artificial rockwork, logs, mulch, and even the occasional scattered plant. It’s a fairly simple set-up, yet works quite well. There is even a huge fake log that seemingly splits the exhibit in half, with several holes cut out at one of its ends. These contain displays of animals that may either burrow or take advantage of logs in the wild for shelter, such as skunks. I always like how educational components are implemented in this manner to help counterbalance with the live animals that can be seen nearby. Birds on display: bufflehead duck, wood duck, and teals. Reptiles on display: Blanding’s turtle, red-eared slider, softshell turtle, among others. Fish on display: gar (spotted, longnose, and shortnose), bowfin, highfin carpsucker, shorthead redhorse, bullhead (black, brown, and yellow), bass (smallmouth, largemouth, and rock), sunfish (green and redear), pumpkinseed warmouth, bluegill, crappie (white and black), yellow perch, and freshwater drum.

Flooded Forest – This is the Aquarium’s river otter habitat, and was formerly the home of beavers. The playful creatures have a cavern-like exhibit that is average-sized, with a pool offering excellent underwater viewing and plenty of space to swim. However, the land area is entirely mock rock – there’s even a few standing columns of rock that are designed to look like tree trunks protruding from the water. In addition, from what I could tell, this indoor enclosure appeared to be the only space available to the otters (see Other Exhibits section). It would be beneficial for the mustelids to get not just outside to enjoy the fresh air, but some natural substrate and/or features indoors as well.

Main Channel – Larger freshwater denizens are the stars of this tank, including lake sturgeon, alligator gar, American eel, longnose gar, common carp, buffalo (bigmouth and black), catfish (blue, channel, and flathead), and freshwater drum. This watery environment is seen through vast windows and a little pop-in bubble off to the side, and it is very nicely-designed. As the fish cruise beneath the surface, they navigate across tons of rocky crags, or weave in and out of submerged tree stumps and their massive protruding roots. Another aspect I liked is that it is shallower in comparison to some other larger freshwater tanks; it gives a more authentic approach and appearance to the environment it’s trying to represent, and does so well. There is even a fun interactive station near the viewing bubble – a catfish model that allows guests to reach in and clamp on, just like how fishermen sometimes catch them! A second area allows guests to reach their hands into various holes, feeling around for particular hidden objects, much like how catfish use their whiskers to feel around them. The one comment I have on this tank (and this actually goes for most of the exhibits in this building) is the glare on the glass. As the building is quite open and lets in a lot of light, it can sometimes be difficult to see into the tank properly or take any decent photos. On the whole though, this is probably the best exhibit not just in this particular building, but the entire Aquarium. :)

Paddlefish Tank – A long, relatively barren tank for American paddlefish (I believe these are a first for me). There isn’t anything fancy here, but at least it offers some close views of these bizarre-looking fish, and there was a cleaning of the exhibit taking place at the time of viewing, which was neat to watch.

Bayou – An American alligator and an alligator snapping turtle share an average-sized exhibit that has excellent attention to detail. Although the land area is on the small side, it is furnished with vines, artificial trees, and more to evoke the southern swamps. The pool shines with ample swimming space, up-close underwater viewing, a rocky bottom, and even a sunken boat for the two large reptiles to navigate around. I actually saw the gator swimming slowly past the glass at the time of my visit – something I don’t recall seeing in a while.

Wetlab – This is predominantly an interactive learning center that encourages learning about nature. Several tables, drawers, shelves, and glass cases to identify and compare and contrast the several artifacts and specimens are offered to curious guests. For example, there’s a bull skull and deer antlers to demonstrate horns vs. antlers, and a wall mount with several animal furs. There are two animal exhibits I recall: the first is a touch tank with some smaller sturgeon, which was closed off at the time. The second is a large tank with mussels, highlighting the conservation efforts taking place and why they are a vital part of the ecosystems. Considering how this complex features some of the Aquarium’s most interactive features, I can see children having a blast here.

Other Exhibits – Attached to the building on the outside, there’s a long, narrow, rocky exhibit complete with a little island and a pool with underwater viewing to one side. Based on the proximity, it seemed like it could be an outdoor exhibit for the otters, although there was only a single snapping turtle swimming about by the window on my visit. Can anyone clarify this? Meanwhile, back inside the building, there are several terrariums stocked with amphibians and reptiles. These are overall quite good both in size and naturalism, with some of the highlight species being black belly salamander (another first), box turtle, diamondback water snake (another first), greater siren, red salamander (another first), Wyoming toad, and fence lizard.

East Building

Down in the Delta – This is the highlight of the building. Set within one room, the overall design and atmosphere is well-done, from the wall paintings depicting a southern delta and wetlands (complete with manatees and sharks), to the shack and deck that doubles as a staff area, serving as an effective backdrop. This shack overlooks the centerpiece of the room: a shallow and sandy pool dotted with seaweed, where guests can touch a few species of stingray (Atlantic stingray, cownose ray, and yellow stingray). A couple of tanks are situated within the outer wall of the room too; admittedly, I didn’t linger too long in the area (the rays kept me occupied! :p) and only saw these properly from a view on the second floor, so I don’t exactly remember what species these held. Based on signs and the website these hold smaller fish and invertebrates like the hermit crab.

Gulf of Mexico Aquarium – A 30-foot long and 15-foot-deep tank that is set at the end of the hallway. The set-up is pretty nice, with a large and open viewing area for visitors, and a section where one may sit and watch the fish dart around the water. The tank itself is also nice – with the dimensions described earlier, I believe that makes this the Aquarium’s single largest exhibit. On top of that, there are several rocks on the floor that offer a good variety of hiding places. There is a lot going for this particular exhibit…however, the species list is surprisingly small. A single spiny box puffer, and a few schools of smaller species were the only residents swimming around the open water - in fact, I believe I counted only five types of animals in here. Originally, a sea turtle resided in this exhibit too, but she passed away prior to my visit. The potential is there to make this a stellar tank and standout feature of the Aquarium, but it would benefit from more inhabitants, whether they are smaller or larger, in order to reach that.

Conservation Lab – This 2017 addition is a window into some of the behind-the-scenes work that is done at the Aquarium. Here the primary goal is aiding in the breeding efforts of logperches. Displays of upside-down jellies are present here as well. It’s always nice to get a peek at what goes on behind closed doors, especially for some conservation programs that a facility is well-known for. Speaking of which…

Project Piaba – Right next to the lab is a separate tank for various Amazon fishes, particularly cardinal tetras. While the exhibit itself is basic, its message on education and conservation is second to none. The goal of this conservation effort is to improve welfare and sustainability of the Amazonian fish trade; purchasing such species as pets benefits these groups as the proceeds go towards maintaining the jungles and trees. While the display isn’t anything fancy, it’s how it connects to its audience that gives it a flare.

Other Exhibits – A few terrariums of average size and quality are found along one of the walls of the “Riverworks Splash Zone.” Of the three animals featured, the most notable of these was the Laos warty newt (another first), a species that this Aquarium has had successful breeding with, the first of which took place in 2011.

River Plaza

Aviaries – Birds can be found in two different areas between the two buildings. Outside of the East Building, a bald eagle lives in a round mesh habitat that is rather spacious, has a number of plants and perches, and is the strongest of the facility’s avian exhibits. Across the pathway there is a single red-tailed hawk in a round cage that is small both vertically and horizontally. On the other side of the property, specifically outside the West Building, there is a large wood structure with a few wire-fronted windows. Two dark exhibits can be seen within, with one being larger than the other, and fairly plain in design and functionality; these contain barn owl and American kestrel, both of which are also used as ambassador animals.

Wetlands – Outside of the wild turtles, frogs, birds, and more that inhabit the area, there are no animals on display here. However, this is a corner of the property that lends itself to a peaceful setting away from the bustle of the main attractions. There are woodchip trails that weave around the bushes, tall grasses, and shady trees that border the shoreline, and a pair of boardwalks that overlook the murky waters. I had a nice time spotting some turtles as I made my way back towards the West Building.

Visitor Experiences

This establishment opened in its current form in 2003, and it definitely shows! Both the West and East Buildings are very large, with an older-looking, brick exterior adorned with large windows (although the former does look newer), yet the interior of both of these is crisp, clean, eye-catching, and easily draws one’s attention when walking through the doors. The layout adds to this welcoming atmosphere, being quite spacious for the most part, which allows for minimal crowding by major exhibits or educational displays. Despite the 14-acre establishment being primarily split between two buildings, there are plenty of other features outside to be occupied with while venturing from one building to the next. One can enjoy the bird exhibits, the many museum pieces and displays, a nice oasis with plenty of foliage and a pond, and a long, canopy-covered walkway that spans most of the distance between the buildings. There is even a riverfront walk that looks over the marina before hitting the mighty Mississippi River that flows just beyond. It all adds up to a pleasant setting that seams in nicely with the surrounding town of Dubuque.

Most of this attraction’s additional draws and amenities are in the East Building. The first impression is a fairly large glass-fronted foyer where one has to pay for their entrance fee (if this is where they started their visit), before coming across the establishment’s sole eatery. While the restaurant wasn’t anything out of the ordinary, I did like the numerous banners on the wall that represented each of the past temporary travelling exhibits! Moving on, the gift shop here is the larger of the two, with one of the highlights being the number of interesting art pieces available for purchase. Heading up the stairs, is a 4D theater with little movies playing, and a library that seems to only be accessible to employees. This said, there are a few sections in the West Building worth mentioning. Starting with the entry plaza (which is where I started my day), before hitting the ticket counter, a huge former paddleboat wheel outside kickstarts the Museum element of this facility. A second gift shop found next to the entrance is a little more well-rounded with the types of souvenirs on sale. Lastly, there is a large open space on the second floor that is home to travelling exhibits; at the time of my visit, there was a neat photo gallery based on famed wildlife and nature photographer Thomas D. Mangelsen.

Of course, this being the National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium, tons of educational displays, artifacts, interactive stations, and many more are prominently featured. These are mostly pretty engaging and, at times, quite fascinating; again, I’d say the Museum component is the more successful in comparison to the Aquarium aspect. In the West Building, some of the highlights include the “Journey Theater,” a table that demonstrates the catastrophic results of the flooding that Dubuque endured, and a hallway that focuses on the inner workings and parts of a riverboat. My favorite was a kiosk where one can listen to a series of animal sounds, and then mash them together to form one unique soundtrack. The East Building opens with an enormous room with a mock rock mountain adorned with taxidermy animals as its main feature. Several exhibits scattered around the base of the mountain focus on the adventures of Mark Twain (including a cave with audio clips of his travels); some other famous figures of the Mississippi that are prominently showcased in the “National Rivers Hall of Fame;” Native American artifacts; and so much more. Going up to the second floor leads to the “RiverWorks Splash Zone,” a play and education area similar to what one would find at Milwaukee’s Discovery World. Its main attraction is a water conservation station where one can control the rain, play with boats, build their own canals, etc. Other attractions include an enlarged replica of a beaver lodge, a water energy station, and child-friendly displays on how rivers act as their own ecosystems. Finally, outside in the River Plaza, many old boats and barges, a greenhouse, and other interesting pieces (like a huge plastic catfish) of the mighty Mississippi stand proudly in the grass – it was rather interesting going past one oddity or antique after another. These, however, pale in comparison to the grand old “William M. Black,” an ancient dredge boat that ran on the Missouri River for about 40 years, but is now open to freely walk through.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: The pair of river otters on display were, as one would expect, putting on a show. One of them bounded along its rocky landscape, but other than that, they spent most of their time splashing around with toys, and streaming alongside the underwater viewing windows. Otters are almost always a joy to watch, and this visit was no different.

OVERALL: Although the museum and educational components appear to be stronger in comparison to the aquarium aspect, it doesn’t stop the National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium from being a worthwhile experience. This is a fascinating look into one of the country’s most iconic rivers, from the wildlife that inhabit it, to the history that it saw through the centuries. Add in a nice setting, modern design and presentation, and decent level exhibitry, and one will have a solid half-day attraction to spend time at. Some will be drawn to the marine wildlife, while others will find themselves gravitating towards the endless displays of water works, machinery, and more – regardless, this is an enjoyable facility that is worth checking out.

At the time of my visit, the Rivers to the Sea section was closed off for an overhaul. According to a keeper I chatted with and articles online, there will be animals such as larger fish, octopus, lionfish, and sharks (leopard according to a concept art I saw) on display in an area that focuses on different American river ecosystems and how they connect to and impact the sea. It will reopen sometime this winter.

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When beavers were held here the otters did indeed live in that outdoor exhibit. Sounds like they got a downgrade, sadly.

You've probably seen American Paddlefish at Shedd before?

Sounds like most of the chelonian collection is gone now, too? They used to have one of the largest chelonian collections in North America.

Milwaukee Man and snowleopard like this.
  3. Milwaukee Man

That's a shame with the otters. It's been a while since I've been to Shedd (2015), and I honestly don't remember if I even saw any paddlefish there. With the chelonian collection, you may be thinking of that temporary exhibit that the attraction held in 2014 - @snowleopard covered it in one of his road trips.

snowleopard and birdsandbats like this.
  4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Congrats @Milwaukee Man on another great review. I really enjoyed my visit to this museum/aquarium in 2014 and I remember that this was the outdoor exhibit for North American River Otters:

[​IMG]

It's a big place to visit. Here is a photo of the 10-acre campus that I took in 2014:

[​IMG]

Yes, @birdsandbats you must be remembering the absolutely massive chelonian collection at this aquarium that was only a temporary exhibit. Here is the species list from 2014:

Turtles: Secrets of the Shell: 74 species - African Dwarf Mud Turtle, African Forest Turtle, African Pancake Tortoise, Alligator Snapping Turtle, American Red-Bellied Turtle, Annam Leaf Turtle, Asian Brown Tortoise, Asian Softshell Turtle, Asian Yellow Pond Turtle, Aubry’s Flapshell Turtle, Australian Snake-Necked Turtle, Black Greek Tortoise, Barbour’s Map Turtle, Caspian Pond Turtle, Central American Painted Turtle, Chaco Tortoise, Chinese Big-Headed Turtle, Chinese Three-Keeled Pond Turtle, Common Helmeted Tortoise, Diamondback Terrapin, East African Serrated Mud Turtle, Eastern Box Turtle, Eastern Pond Turtle, Elongated Tortoise, Fly River Turtle, Four-Eyed Turtle, Geoffrey’s Side-Necked Turtle, Giant Asian Pond Turtle, Giant South American River Turtle, Golden Thread Turtle, Gopher Tortoise, Hamilton’s (Spotted) Pond Turtle, Hieroglyphic River Cooter, Japanese Pond Turtle, Leopard Tortoise, Malaysian Pond Turtle, Mata Mata, Murray River Turtle, New Guinea Snapping Turtle, Nile Softshell Turtle, Northern Australia Snapping Turtle, Ouchita Map Turtle, Pacific Pond Turtle, Peninsula Cooter, Razorback Musk Turtle, Red-Bellied Short-Neck Turtle, Red-Checked Mud Turtle, Red-Eared Slider, Red-Headed Amazon River Turtle, Reimann’s Snake-Neck Turtle, Savanna Side-Necked Turtle, Saw-Shelled Turtle, Schultze’s Side-Neck Turtle, Scorpion Mud Turtle, Short-Necked Turtle, Smooth Softshell Turtle, Spiny Hill Turtle, Spiny Softshell Turtle, Southeast Asian Box Turtle, Spot-Bellied Side-Necked Turtle, Spotted Turtle, Star Tortoise, Stinkpot Turtle, Striped Mud Turtle, Texas Tortoise, Tuberculate Toad-Headed Turtle, West African Mud Turtle, Western Toad-Headed Turtle, Wood Turtle, Yellow-Bellied Slider, Yellow-Blotched Map Turtle, Yellow-Headed Temple Turtle, Yellow Mud Turtle and Yellow-Spotted Amazon River Turtle.

CMP, Milwaukee Man and SusScrofa like this.
  5. Persephone

Persephone Well-Known Member

I found the museum to be a little disappointing at the time of my visit last year as, while it was an alright museum and an alright aquarium, it didn’t really hit harder than the sum of its parts for me.

The Great Lakes Aquarium in Dubuque, MN, executed the idea of the NMRM&A much better, in my opinion, and I was frankly blown away by how they’d flown under the radar so much.

Don’t get me wrong - very glad you enjoyed this place - just wasn’t my cup of tea.

Milwaukee Man likes this.
  6. Milwaukee Man

Thank you all for the replies!

@Persephone I can see where you're coming from in some ways, like with the otters and some the East Building areas. With the latter, I feel it could've just been a timing thing, as the Gulf of Mexico Aquarium's main attraction, the sea turtle, had recently died. I'm sure some sort of replacement is being looked into. Perhaps the tide will change too with the reopening of Rivers to the Sea?

Also, photos have been uploaded to the gallery. :)

7. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd recommend that anyone in the area comes and visits Rivers to the Sea. It isn't what the concept art looked like, but it is still a beautiful new exhibit area. :D If anyone visits on a Saturday or Thursday within the next few weeks, I'd love to show you around.

birdsandbats and Milwaukee Man like this.