Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo news 2014 #1

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by canaryboy, 21 Jan 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canaryboy

canaryboy Well-Known Member

After visiting the website today they have said that they have only just kicked off the 50th anniversary due to recent visit of 'lady Gretton' and that there are a whole lot of tributes, commemorative books ect. to come. Didn't they celebrate they're 50th anniversary last year though?

2. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes, given the zoo opened in 1963 (as stated on the website) their 50th anniversary was last year. How strange, though I hope the commemorative book has some substance rather than being a glorified pamphlet/guide (then again it's hard to consider the last 10 years a glorious success which is the typical story arc these type of books like to follow).

3. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So the 50th annversary souveniers do not go on sale until the 51st year. Great planning.

4. Paradoxurus

Paradoxurus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Stop moaning.

A year late but, hey, this is great news. At least the anniversary has not been forgotten entirely. I am looking forward to any publications they may produce. Good luck to them. Hope the publicity generates plenty of interest.

5. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's posts like this I wish they had a 'like' button!

Well said Paradoxurus, I'm looking forward to any publications the zoo bring out!

As someone in the zoo industry, I applaud the work Twycross have done over the last year! I think the current management are doing a great job with a limited budget like so many other collections at the mo! I wish them every luck and would love to see a little more positivity and support on the forums for a change!

6. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A sad turn of events

Following statement just released on Twycross's Facebook:

7. Jane Doe

Jane Doe Well-Known Member

wouldn't have happened in the old days Kibriah is a good mum:(

8. Jane Doe

Yes you are right the 50th anniversary was last year, I was told yesterday they are still in their 50th anniversary year and also I think someone from the zoo is reading zoochat so I am going to watch what I put now

9. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Tragic news about Kibriah's baby. Poor Kibriah (and everyone else involved, of course) :(

A poignant coincidence - the baby died on Kibriah's birthday.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2014
  10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Odds are pretty good :p there is certainly an ex-employee or two lurking about on occasion!

11. SmallestGiraffe

SmallestGiraffe Well-Known Member

Such sad news about the death of the baby orangutan :(

12. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That's a ridiculous thing to say until the cause of death is known, it could be due to some unavoidable congential problem or anything.

13. canaryboy

canaryboy Well-Known Member

How insensitive to put something like this on when you already think/know twycross zoo staff are on here. Those staff could be upset about the recent death and for you to start pointing a finger and trying to use the death of an animal to drum up support for the old management is pretty low.

14. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

Yes quite, the zoo's 50th anniversary was in 2013, however 2014 is also an important anniversary year for Twycross Zoo, it being 100 years since the birth of one of its co founders, Miss Molly Winifred Badham M.B.E.

15. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Until now, I have had you in my mind as someone clinging on to the past, a little deluded, perhaps, but basically harmless.

This comment reveal you to be, in fact, a thoroughly unpleasant and fundamentally bitter person. Very nasty indeed.

16. Jane Doe

What I put was not insensitive it is true in the old days it would not have happened because all the keepers were experienced they had many years of service, and they new their animals I am not calling 1 of the orang keepers there now because she was taught by the best(old keepers were her teachers). By the way I don't need to drum up support for the old days they have their own supporters I mean the zoo was probably going before you were born. I agree with Tarzan I hope Redrobe hasn't caused any damage to the zoo with what she said on the BBC or Central and now she has put something in the Daily Mail, between Boardman, Redrobe and McDonald god help the zoo.

17. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

Yes, it is very sad news about the baby orang dying at only two months old, especially as it was being mother reared and I can understand emotions running high at a time like this from members who are particularly fond of the Twycross orangs and indeed the zoo itself. The zoo have made an official statement on their website stating that they will be conducting a full post mortem on the little one to establish the cause of death, so I personally think it would be best if we reserve our comments on this until the results are made public, that is, if they are, as the zoo are not obliged in any way to do so.

18. Jane Doe

Hi Tarzan

You are right lets see what the post mortem says that is if they tell us everything. It was funny what I was told when they found out that she was pregnant but the laugh is Boardman had a NO hand rearing police I wonder if Redrobe has the same.

19. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That can't have been too all -embracing though, the last but one baby Gorilla born -as I remember before she left- was removed and sent to Stuttgart for H/R as it wasn't prospering.

20. Jane Doe

It could have been reared at the zoo in the old days because there were people that knew how to do it, but there isn't anyone there now that is capable of rearing, her other excuse was she didn't want it to become to humanized what a joke that was when you saw it on TV you saw they were playing with him like a baby. In the old days Ti was hand reared and yet he went in with a group sorry but she did speak a load of rubbish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.