Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo news 2016 #2

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ShonenJake13, 28 Mar 2016.

1. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited once again today :) arrived around half an hour before the zoo officially opens. Much much less crowded compared to Mother's Day thank goodness!
    Saw all 33 species of primate kept at the zoo (including the François', you guys were right they are tucked behind the owls near the martens). Still have a solitary (male?) siamang living next door to the crowned lemurs, coatis and L'Hoest's monkeys...such a shame! Really want him/her to be transferred if they can't live in the new gibbon complex.
    Saw all of the individual great apes too; main group were on blistering good form, as were the complex chimps. Had some little heart to heart moments with Tommy, Peter and Coco, showing them photos on my camera!
    Also saw the bonobos, my favourites along with the chimps; Cheka and her two boys have been moved in with Diatou, Malaika, Keke and Maringa. Chatted with a volunteer and he said that Winton was starting to badger Kianga and her new baby boy (who incidentally has been fathered by Keke and doesn't have a name yet, they're probably going to do the public voted name thing just like Ndeko) so the three had to be moved across.
    Also, I asked why the 13 are never all in together and it's apparently because they want to breed Keke and Kakowet with specific individuals, not to mention Maringa is not a fan of Lopori :( shame as Lopori's her own daughter! In any case, Winton is now having loads of fun with Malaika, Cheka has assumed dominant position in her half and Mokonzi has now taken to badgering Kianga and the new baby (or trying to nick all the attention at least haha).
    Striped hyena was up :D such a shame her enclosure is small, can see where she runs in circles very clearly as there's a great big mud track :( they could so easily extend hers and the orangs' areas just by extending onto the green.
    So this volunteer also mentioned that after the new chimp complex the gorillas will be next to get new accommodation, followed by the bonobos and finally another (possible) extension to the orangutan house. Not 100% accurate as it was a volunteer but still good news :)
    Otters have moved next door to dik-diks as their enclosure is being renovated. Also only saw one dhole instead of the usual pair :/
    And finally, there's a red titi baby but don't know if that's already been mentioned.
    Awesome awesome day! Really excited to have gone again and can't wait for visit #3 to what is quickly becoming one of my favourite zoos in the UK!

2. alfiethetortois

alfiethetortois Well-Known Member 10+ year member

We're hitting Twycross on Sunday and haven't been for 18m - looking forward to
    Seeing changed

3. ShonenJake13

See what you think! Giraffes have apparently been renovated, and there's obviously the orangutan extension and new gibbon house!
    Also keep an eye out for the newest pair of baby bonobos; Ndeko and Kianga's baby boy! Chances are they'll be in separate rooms :)

4. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Giraffes renovated already? It's barely a year old.

5. ShonenJake13

Yes ok sorry, mistake on my part. Pretty knackered, and wrote renovated by accident.

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I wonder how accurate that information really is. The Gorilla House is the most recently built of their Ape Houses so despite it being rather gloomy/dark internally, its arguably the least urgent for replacement. Both Bonobos and even Orangutans(again) might be higher priorities.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2016
  7. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Depends on phasing, Most of the spare room will be taken up with the chimp development. I'd hate to lose the open feel Twycross has, there for existing enclosures will have to be demolished and animals moved.

They only really issue with bonobo housing is the current split due to breeding, if that was sorted then their housing is adequate and not in dire need, unlike an improved gorilla house for a bigger group. ;)

8. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Info about new Francois Langur:

Everyone meet Chow-chow, our newest François’ Langur! He came to us all the way from San Francisco Zoo as part of the European endangered species breeding programme, a great example of global cooperation towards conservation. His arrival will bring new genes into the European population and assist with the survival of this endangered species. He is already proving a hit with the ladies!

9. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited today, 11 April 2016. Weather was warm and dry while we were there but still the Gibbons are not yet using their outside islands. I don't know if they are being kept in for a reason or if they just like the inside areas too much? As far as I could tell they were actually prevent by closed access doors. When they were in the low level cages they were out in all weathers.

The solitary Siamang is now longer where he was. I don't know if he is in the new house with the others or if he has moved on.

The giraffes were outside enjoying the sun. Are they three different sub species (not a giraffe expert but they all seemed differently marked to me)? I could tell they were three males. Are they a batchelor group waiting to be sent off for breeding purposes elsewhere or are they just there because zoos need to display giraffes?

The lemur walk though actually had the lemurs (Ring tails) in the walk through bit (for 2 minutes) and then they disappeared behind the bushes. The ruffed lemurs did not even bother leaving their caged off area.

Went in the lorikeet shed for the first time. The lady advised us they were not that interested in the sugary drink (it was about lunchtime). So if you want to experience feeding them get in early (or Twycross needs a lot more birds).

Dhole seemed to be by its self still.

One day I am actually going to see the Yellow Throated Marten although I did see the Snow Leopard for the first time.

All in all a grand day out.

10. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe there is 1 Reticulated and 2 Rothschild's.

11. cliffxdavis

That makes sense. I assume the Reticulated is the one that was generally browner?

12. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Twycross hold a bachelor group - there's too many male Giraffes in the EEP breeding program so new Giraffe holders (like Twycross) are asked to hold surplus males (or sometimes hybrid females) in order to gain experience before receiving a breeding group in the future.

13. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not only browner, just fuller and less white. Also Baringo have a yellowish backdrop
    Reticulated: [​IMG](Photo by voglecommando) and Roth/Baringo: [​IMG]
    (Photo by LaughingDove)

14. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

To me they look like 1 Rothschild and 2 others although I know that's not the case!

You were unlucky cliffxdavis, we saw two yellow-throated martens flaunting themselves in front of the window on Sunday.

15. cliffxdavis

I am glad I've not been spending ages in front of an empty display. What time of day did you see them. I tend to get there early and leave by lunch.

16. OrangePerson

Probably about 4ish, before the final ape-round!

17. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Today is the first time i've seen a mix between groups (although, I'm not that familiar with the adults to have noticed in the past.)
    Winton and the older new born as well as their mum (?) are now in with the group with Malaika. I only really notice the youngsters as they are more entertaining and fun to try and photograph.

18. ShonenJake13

Yes, Cheka, Winton and Ndeko were moved over as Winton was causing trouble for Kianga and her baby boy. Interestingly Cheka has assumed dominance over her half of the house, with Diatou previously being the leading lady over there.

This leaves 3 males and 4 females on Cheka's side (Keke, Winton and Ndeko, and Diatou, Cheka, Maringa and Malaika), and 3 males and 3 females on Banya's side (Kakowet, Mokonzi and the new baby, and Banya, Kianga and Lopori).

19. OrangePerson

I was told they would like to have a single group but Maringa and Lopori are the stumbling block because they really don't like each other.

20. ShonenJake13

Unfortunately yes. Maringa, Lopori's biological mother, really doesn't like her and is frequently aggressive.
    This means that they're going to have to wait until one of the two leaves for another collection before they can create one group.