Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo news 2016 #2

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ShonenJake13, 28 Mar 2016.

1. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Photo I hope!

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks. No doubt about that one....:):(

3. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I noticed a De Brazza Baby today :)

Also, the Bonobo were separated again. Malaika and Lopori were in with 3 adults and the rest in the other room, with only one room at a time open to the outside.

4. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Dangit :/ missed them all in together

5. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They still don't yet have planning permission for the new chimp enclosure. Opening next year could be very optimistic!

6. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Twycross Facebook page reports the birth of a second Francois' langur , the first was apparently born a month or so ago .

7. ShonenJake13

This brings the group to 1.2.2

8. greeneagle

greeneagle Member

Visited on Sunday and unfortunately didn't see any chimps as the house was shut except one of the old boys in the older chimp house. Can someone explain a few points to me, is the ultimate aim one group in the new enclosure?
    And if so how far off that goal are they currently?

9. ShonenJake13

Which house? The main house has been closed for a long time due to the windows being removed as they were damaged (been replaced with mesh). The plan is to introduce all 19 chimps together. Apparently they've started making moves on introducing the six in the Complex to the 13 in the main house.

10. greeneagle

greeneagle Member

Yeah it was the main chimp house which was shut, didn't realise it had been shut a long time.
    The 6 in the complex aren't in together though are they? They seemed to be in 2 separate trios (judging by the signs anyway)

11. ShonenJake13

Currently the plan is to introduce Samantha to the main group to calm Peter down (she's been bigging him up a lot more than he actually is), and then the plan is to introduce William and Tommy first I believe. The only thing I have confirmed is that Samantha will be moving and that Danny and Peter will be introduced to one another last before the six are introduced to the main group in the new complex (intergroup introductions won't start till the new build is done).

12. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Had a lovely day at Twycross yesterday (Tuesday). I love zoo visits on cold crisp winter days.

Highlights of the day were

For the first time I saw a Gibbon outside in the new Gibbon Complex. Pileated gibbon sitting on the top of a pole welcoming the sun.

Siamangs were really displaying. Very loud and very energetic. There is a group in the gibbon house, a group by the meerkats and a sad looking solo in the small monkey house (with no room to swing a gibbon).

The Bush dogs were out with their pups.

Baby Langurs were out and about.

14. cliffxdavis

I was just uploading some photos from my last visit and looking at the old photos I saw the Bush Dogs which are in the landscaped old sea lion pool used to share the enclosure with coatis. Did that not work out for the best?

15. giant_anteater

giant_anteater Well-Known Member

I think that the increase in numbers in the bush dog pack, combined with the decrease in numbers in the coati family, meant that one species far outweighed the other, making arguments very one-sided. I always thought it was quite a 'brave' mix.

16. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

17. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Update from a Twycross visit today;

The 'Langur House' has been emptied for renovation since my last visit. The Spectacled Langurs and Dianas have moved into the house opposite which has the De Brazzas and now singles of Javan Langur and Colobus. No sign of the Lowe's Guenon pair. The L'Hoest's monkeys have moved to where the Crowned Guenon was, nearest the Himalaya/ entrance area. Crowned Guenon & companion Diana have moved to enclosure between Owls and Elephants( nr South American/marmoset primate house)

There are two new young De Brazza babies, making this group now seven strong.

The two Francois Langur babies appear to be 1.1.

All Gibbons were very vocal early on- some were even going outside despite the cold wind coming off the fields behind the Gibbon Forest area.

Bonobos split into two groups again.

Nyala now in paddock formerly used by Camels( between Hyaena and Dholes)

Lorikeet aviary and Borneo Longhouse area are both closed due to the Avian Flu restrictions.

No apparent changes to the Chimps, and no sign of any work commencing on the planned new Chimpanzee Eden either- I can't see this opening anytime soon, as it has not even been started yet. :(

18. cliffxdavis

Are there still three Siamang groups with one being the solo in the Small monkey house?

19. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I think the single Siamang is next to where the "Crowned Guenon & companion Diana have moved to enclosure between Owls and Elephants( nr South American/marmoset primate house)" or at least there is a sign on the next door enclosure. I also noticed that side of the elephant enclosure is completely fenced off now.

20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any ideas on the plans for the redesign / renovation of the Langur House yet?

BTW: I would rather hope they do … at some later date opt for complete overhaul and create an Asian Langur / Colobine primate area in the vicinity of the new Gibbon Forest).