Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo news 2017 #2

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 16 Apr 2017.

1. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bet much beyond it being Tigers, going where the hyena was but with alot more space being used.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, I meant one of either Lion or Tiger, rather than both. With the loss of the Elephants in due course they may feel the need for another big-hitter to replace them(not literally though) .

3. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

And of course, that enclosure isn't really as big enough to house even a pair of Siberian tigers if that's what they had planned. So it would definitely HAVE to be extended to allow room for either species. But again, who knows what the surprise addition will be...

4. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited the zoo for the first time in a few months today;

-Saw all 4 of the zoo's Amur Leopard, confirming that the cubs are still there.

-I was quite worried when I saw that the enclosure which had been holding the Lowe's Guenon had a Howler Monkey in. It wasn't till I had reached the Crowned Guenon and Diana Monkey that I realised they are now mixed with the Diana Monkey and Crowned Guenon. They didn't seem to mind each other but I did see the Diana Monkey chase one of the Lowe's Guenon pair.

-The Orangs are now split into two groups; Kibriah and Kayan had access to the outdoors in the morning and Batu, Maliku, Molly and Basuki had access to the indoor enclosure all-day and to the outdoors in the afternoon. I'm glad they have seperated Batu and Kibriah to avoid any injuries to her baby. Batu did spend quite alot of time admiring Kibriah through the mesh though.

-The Chimp House has shot up; the house is now completely roofed and the walls for the outdoor are also now up. The zoo have also now added viewing windows into the construction site. I must also say I was impressed how large how the complex looks! Going to be a massive improvement for the chimps.

-There are now 2 elephant travel crates outside the elephant house. Whilst I was in the house they were doing some crate training with Minbu.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. Pertinax

Pleased to hear Kibriah and her baby are still safely seperarated- they'd be best keeping them like that longterm really- however benevolent he may appear, Batu will not change his 'spots'(behaviour) with respect to Kibriah.

There have been viewing windows into the Chimp construction since it was first started I think. Hopefully completion should be not too far off now.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the rumour of the Twycross elephants moving to Blackpool are true if so when are they moving and are the whole herd going there?

Many thanks The Hedgehog

7. leiclad20

leiclad20 Well-Known Member

The statement on Twycross' website says the whole group will be moved as one and thye won;t be split up. As to timing, it's whenever they are used to their crates!

On an unrelated note, can any one update me on the following:

- Owls: what species does twycross hold? Are they stillin the tiny avairies near the bush dog enclosure?

-Cuscus - are they still at the zoo?

CheersQ

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. Falconhoof

Falconhoof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Loxodonta Cobra and Brum like this.
  9. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Just got this through email

Also on their FB page

10. Pertinax

They have lost a number of Chimpanzees in recent years for various reasons- and this latest is particularly sad as it is getting so close to them having decent accomodation at long last.

11. littleRedPanda

Is the Javan Lutung quite old now? I hate seeing him by himself.

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It has been clear that Twycross Zoo manages these to a phase out?!? It seems even a primate zoo has to make these policy (...?) decisions in favor of species and collection management. The same holds true for another primate collection like Apenheul in the Netherlands.

I am quite happy though they will ensure that they will have great breeding groups of both dusky langur and Francois leaf monkey.

13. Falconhoof

Falconhoof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

14. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Can't remember off the top of my head what species of owl but yes they're still in those aviaries.

No more cuscus at the zoo.

15. ShonenJake13

The zoo is now down to 7.11; males Jambo, Flynn, Jomar and Kibali and females Coco, Noddy, Rosie, Tojo, Lottie, Holly, Josie, Victoria, Genet and Tuli in the main group, and males William, Peter and Tommy and female Samantha still in the complex waiting to be introduced to the main group.

16. littleRedPanda

Tiny? They're quite big compared to many I've seen. I only remember seeing the Great Grey and Spectacled Owls, which are the only ones mentioned on the website.

17. Pertinax

What happened to the second female of the smaller group?

18. ShonenJake13

Holly has been integrated into the larger group; she joined it with Danny initially before he passed away.

19. Pertinax

Ah- I see now! I couldn't understand why Danny should suddenly be injured so badly during a dominance fight with Chimps he'd known for years. So he was being introduced to the main lot and it went wrong. :( There was no explanation of this except the brief mention of a 'fight'. Was Danny castrated?

Last edited: 28 Nov 2017
  20. ShonenJake13

He was not, he was also hand-reared and the former alpha of the smaller group. Not the ideal choice for a first male to be introduced if you ask me.

Pertinax likes this.