Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 25 Jan 2018.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think the access problems at Twycross are of quite recent origin, though of course before the dawn of FB etc one would have no idea if they had them previously or not, if you weren't actually there.

TriUK likes this.
  2. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I think there's upper level to view from too, but might be wrong.
    Pretty sure I'm wrong now, having looked at the 3d model again. I thought there was a video clip that mentioned being at 'tree top level' but I cannot find it now., so may have that confused with something else :D

Last edited: 18 Apr 2018
    Pertinax likes this.
  3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am just very glad Chimp Eden is finally finished. Sure a vast improvement for all TWZ chimps. The house and exhibit look impressive.

Pertinax likes this.
  4. rubymurray

rubymurray Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are three reasonably large viewing windows across the two inside areas, plus some small windows for kids. It is ground floor only & the corridor is narrow in places but deeper where the windows are. It will get a bit crowded until the outside opens, is my guess.

Pertinax and littleRedPanda like this.
  5. taun

taun Well-Known Member

But my point is it is not feasible to create such indoor viewing with glass window. So you will always be disappointed.

6. Pertinax

Thats my overall feeling too. Its so much better for the Chimps which is the overall important thing, though frustrated visitors might think otherwise if there are crowded viewing areas, but that's a fairly minor point IMO.

No. I'm not looking for a huge length of viewing windows, but sufficient widths to accomodate large numbers of visitors on busy days. It may fulfil that need, I haven't seen it yet. As to outside viewing, they tend to be inside far more in a colder climate like ours, so the indoor viewing is really the more important.

The outside is always likely to be a secondary consideration IMO, as they will, by choice, no doubt spend a lot of time indoors...

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Apr 2018
  7. littleRedPanda

I decided to have another visit this afternoon and was surprised at how busy it was (although not holiday period/sunny weekend stupidly busy). Made my was straight to Chimp Eden and could barely get a few steps in from the Gorilla end before being blocked by pushchairs etc. The walkway really is too narrow, but probably no more so than most other exhibits of the same style. I'd arrived about 12:30 which is probably the peak of the day and as the afternoon went on, I did find it was quieter later on. At the moment, there doesn't appear to be any reading material, or signs along the walkway, which would make busy days unbearable.

Something that cheered me up was finding the Long Tailed Chinchilla had moved to one of the Ferret enclosures and both were out on view; maybe because they had only just moved and were making their mark. This is the first time I've actually seen them out.

8. Pertinax

Have any more Chimps been moved?- and is it open permanently now despite not really being finished as far as the full group goes etc.?

9. littleRedPanda

I should have asked but I got the impression all of the main group were in there. I messaged them on Monday and they say it is open permanently now

Pertinax likes this.
  10. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

11. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

From the animals perspective, looks amazing. Visitor viewing seems to be really restricted though.

Pertinax likes this.
  12. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

If this video is a fair representation, then I don't see the purpose of all the themeing in the visitor area. It is not immersive, it is in stark contrast to the chimp areas and it seems more fun-house than African forest. Why bother?

Flingo, Brum, Maguari and 2 others like this.
  13. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Totally agree. This ersatz forest is neither use nor ornament (a fine old phrase from the North of England). I presume there will be some decent educational signage eventually - that's one better use of their money, another would be planting and protecting more mature trees and shrubs outdoors, plus colouring that wall of course.

Maguari and TNT like this.
  14. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I disagree. Of course, the inside needs to be practical and here it does look a little tight on camera - but an immersive environment creates a more memorable visitor experience. And as a result, immersed visitors are more likely to stay in the zoo longer and also repeat visit.

Falconhoof likes this.
  15. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm not sure that necessarily holds true -a zoo can be as immersive as it wants but unless the visitors can see animals (preferably being active) I don't think it has any effect on how long a visitor stays or repeat visits. I think availability of play areas, reasonably priced food and lack of significant queues (for play areas, food, exhibits, etc.) has far more of an impact on visitor behaviour than whether exhibits are immersive or not.

Brum likes this.
  16. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

snowleopard, Brum and Shorts like this.
  17. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

We must distinguish between "immersive" and "decorated" or "themed." I do not see this as immersive. Walking through a hallway with painted tropical plants to look out of windows into yards or rooms that have no visual connection to the decor of the hallway does not meet any definition of "immersive."
    I refer you to Jon Coe's writing to explain my view
    http://www.joncoedesign.com/pub/PDFs/LandscapeImmersion1994.pdf

TNT and TriUK like this.
  18. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've only just skimmed this but it seems like an interesting article to read later, thanks for posting. :)

BeakerUK likes this.
  19. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

It would be way too much for me. Anywhere that’s packed too full of people makes me ridiculously claustrophobic and uncomfortable. I would hate it.

The Summer holidays could be quite a challenge. I’m sure they have this in mind already, however.

20. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

I was at Twycross today on a photography course and managed to suggest we visit the new chimpanzee habitat because there is no way I could be there and not see it. The space inside for the chimpanzees is fabulous - compared to what they used to have it is absolutely brilliant. The animals who were in there seemed relaxed and confident to move around - several were using the hoses and things to travel up high, some were resting on the high nest areas and some were relaxing on the ground. The outdoor area looks like it will be great, too, and although the wall is currently quite stark, it will weather over time and there is planting around the outside which will hopefully grow up as well.

As for the visitor areas... well I actually quite liked the theming, it was fun to be inside, and it looks like it will be nice watching the chimpanzees going over your head between the inside and outside areas. But I just don't understand why they didn't make it bigger. It is simply going to be a no-go area at busy times. It was not too busy at the zoo today and it was pretty crowded. The size of the viewing windows is OK (though trying to take photos through one window which was very narrow and had fake roots built up on each side of it was a challenge), though of course more would be nice. But it really is going to be hell when busy if the chimpanzees are inside.

That said, if you are lucky enough to be able to go on weekdays in term time (and avoid the school trips) I imagine it will be fine.

Pertinax, Kifaru Bwana, Zia and 2 others like this.