Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 25 Jan 2018.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Woah - settle down. I asked one of the moderators to remove the images after which I said I would send you a private note to explain why they were removed. I have now done that - apologies it wasn't done earlier, but I was getting my kids ready for school.

You are welcome to discuss any problems you have with moderation - but in a thread is not the correct place to do that - please contact me directly.

Yeah, that's not how copyright works. Just because something is "already on the internet" does NOT make it "public domain". You did not specify or credit the author or the source of the content, nor have you identified who are the actual copyright holders.

In my experience, architectural drawings often have multiple copyright holders (the client, the drafter, and perhaps even the the 3rd party hosting the images).

If you look carefully at the images - there is actually a copyright statement included on them. Unfortunately it is too small to read - but I think you'll find some very important information on there relevant to this matter.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Actually, hosting a copyrighted image elsewhere and then embedding it on here is not going to change things.

You should only ever link to the original source of such images where there is clearly a copyright issue (architectural drawings specifically).

Crowthorne and TeaLovingDave like this.
  3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Twycross is pretty short on mature trees anyway- they are only mainly around the entrance/house and the more Northerly half adjacent to the A444 road boundary. Its a pretty exposed site otherwise, one reason I think the Gibbons don't use the outsides of their new 'forest' very much. Planting might help for the future, but not the present.

Last edited: 19 Mar 2018
  4. Pertinax

Its a lot better than it used to be. Reduction in species has left the remaining main Monkey House with fewer species( groups of Dianas, De Brazzas, Spectacled Langurs + odd Colobus/Javan Langur and the three main groups each have double the outside areas they used to, while the growing De Brazza group have access to a further large hotwired open-air enclosure. The Francois Langurs and L'Hoests monkeys are housed elsewhere in the Zoo. I'm not sure which species might benefit best from using the old Chimp areas, plus there might be dangers of escapes as they are currently.

Kifaru Bwana and haydn like this.
  5. Commradematt

Commradematt Member

I dont think Twycross would like that because they are always using them a promotional tool

haydn and Pertinax like this.
  6. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well that’s me owned.

7. britishzoofan

britishzoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I assume from the lack of news on the Chimpanzee Eden front it will not be open in time for Easter as the zoo had originally planned.

8. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I don't think they announced it would be. A quick flick through messages on facebook simply mention spring and a response to one enquiry was of no specific date.

9. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Was there last week for a wedding. A volunteer told me that Chimps had moved in. It looks massive, but I'm surprised by the massive prison-like wall of concrete wrapping the whole footprint of the outside.

haydn likes this.
  10. Pertinax

I think they probably hoped it would be, but haven't been able to make the date. But soon if Chimps are now already in...

11. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Humbolt penguin chick birth announced on their facebook

12. Commradematt

Commradematt Member

I hope the penguin pool has been cleaned out because the last time I saw it I wouldn't say that was a healthy environment for them to be in.

13. haydn

I vaguely remember reading somewhere a few years ago that although the water colour doesn’t look so great, it was actually ideal conditions for the penguins - not sure how true that was.

Worth noting the penguins where also shown on the master plan drawings as another species the zoo had earmarked for a brand new enclosure.

14. Commradematt

Commradematt Member

When you look at other zoo's penguin pool's they don't look like sludge, I can not get over the smell.
    I personally don't think it would be very healthy for the young.

15. giant_anteater

giant_anteater Well-Known Member

Commradematt, Twycross breed healthy penguins every year, so I don’t think it’s worth losing any sleep over.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

Twycross have a sign on the enclosure explaining the colour of the water. Next time I go I will try and remember to get a photo of it.

haydn likes this.
  17. haydn

Knew I’d seen something somewhere! That would be it.

18. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They could have adapted/extended the old Sealion & Baikal seal pools into one big habitat for penguins when they had the chance!

19. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Like they had the (no doubt very large amount of) money needed to do this at the time.

haydn likes this.
  20. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The groups are regularly changed, although admittedly it does appear to be the same couple of individuals switched as of late due to there being only one mature breeding male currently in the group (the other relatively mature male is still too young to breed).

The group is too small/closely related to warrant splitting and sending away; one of the females is too old and has two offspring, one of which is the only breeder currently at the zoo. Then there’s another female whose older son is due to become the secondary breeder so that also isn’t likely. Then you have two mother and single offspring pairs, a female who has next to no chance of breeding in future as both her past kids have been rejected, and a young female who was rejected by the aforementioned female. So at most you’d be looking at a move of three animals, which isn’t enough to stop people complaining...

haydn, BjoernN and MagpieGoose like this.