Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by BeakerUK, 1 Jan 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SumatrIan

SumatrIan Member 5+ year member

I may be visiting this week, I'm just wondering if the male tiger is now viewable in his indoor enclosure? I am on the understanding that he was/is off show in there as he is still adapting to his new enclosure?

2. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

The two tigers are being rotated to the one indoor viewing area so it’s pot luck who is there on a visit

3. J C

Does anybody know any recent info on the male rhino coming to twycross last I heard he was coming from port lympne and was being crate trained last February is this move still on ?

4. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Male Giraffe, Epesi, sadly passed away today:

Twycross Zoo

5. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

How old was he?

6. J C

He was 11 years old the oldest in the group and there only Reticulated giraffe

Elephantelephant likes this.
  7. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Looks like a recently born variegated spider monkey on facebook; I cant remember seeing a baby in the few years I've been visiting.

Edit: Maybe it's not :D

Kifaru Bwana and pipaluk like this.
  8. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

sorry @pipaluk but having adjusted the photo in photoshop, I think its one of the black variety

9. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Shame, but not bad news all the same

littleRedPanda likes this.
  10. hjkr

hjkr Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes it is the black-headed spider monkey, saw the baby today. Mum was grooming/relaxing with the rest of the troop.

littleRedPanda likes this.
  11. rubymurray

rubymurray Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Very exciting Vision 2030 presentation, let's hope they can pull it off!!

James Barber, haydn, TriUK and 3 others like this.
  12. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Looks incredibly impressive. Not 100% certain but looks like it occupies the space currently south of the new Chimp exhibit and replaces the old Chimp, Gorilla and Lemur enclosures too.

Kingdom of the Apes take 2 it seems. But significantly more practical and beneficial.

13. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Quick question: I know their female Rhino arrived much earlier this year back in March, but does anyone know when a male rhino is due arrive and where it will be coming from? I'd especially love to see some births from this species in the not-too-distant future.

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Personally I would rather see them upgrade the substandard enclosures they still have( includes Orangutan, Bonobo, some of the monkey areas, Borneo longhouse area etc,) and a total landscaping effort across the whole site, before embarking on costly extras like a lecture theatre and hotel. But of course they want what some other zoos have nowadays.

15. haydn

Landscaping is in progress, but zoo wide will take several years. This new development replaces several of the houses you mentioned by the looks of it. The longhouse area definately needs some attention too though, I agree on that.

The education and research facilities could be quite lucrative. Especially if they're partnering with nearby Universities (which I believe they already do?). Any additioanl revenue streams can only be a good thing for long term improvements and animal welfare at the zoo.

In other news...

They've also recently submitted planning for a new family adventure building. Near the petting zoo area. Guess this is the start of the remodelling of that area too to allow the new entrance complex.

19/01129/FUL | Erection of a new themed Family Adventure Building which will have a link extension to an existing multi-purpose building, external alterations to the existing building and the erection of new toilets to an existing cafe | Twycross Zoological Park Burton Road Norton Juxta Twycross Atherstone Leicestershire CV9 3PX

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. jamie779

jamie779 Well-Known Member

This looks great, however are they carrying on with improving the animal areas? I am thinking some of the monkey and bonobo enclosures in particular. No doubt about it - TZ is transforming for the better :)

17. haydn

Here's a screen cap from the publically available video. In the top left is the new Chimp complex, top right the new tiger complex. That gives the scale of this proposed redevelopment. It's massive! It includes at least 7 different exhibts from the looks of it (one is just out of shot in the top centre). Most on a similar scale to Chimp Eden and Gibbon Forest. So it suggests all the ape species and more will benefit from new homes over the next 10 years.

Worth noting, the research and education facilities were included in the master plan they announced 5 years ago also.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 19 Oct 2019
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. jamie779

jamie779 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that! Looks great and I cannot wait to see it all unfold!

19. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Misunderstanding... I did not realise the new enclosures for the other Apes are still included in these plans- they aren't mentioned in this publicity video at all, and as there has been no news or mention about them for quite some time now, I presumed the original plan for this complex had been shelved. I am far better disposed to this development if those are still included -as appears the case.

Kifaru Bwana and haydn like this.
  20. J C

Visited today and managed to get a word with the nice lady doing the rhino talk before she went on, to be honest I think are char had a bigger audience that her actual talk this afternoon. I to had been wondering why the male has yet to arrive , he is still comeing from port Lympne and have been trying all summer to get him but the crate teaming has not been going well with three failed attempts so they have given him the last few weeks trying to get him on a shipping crate and his training is apparent getting far better so with luck she thinks he may arrive in a couple of weeks if not they are look at a definitely before Christmas. He is only a young bull though so won’t be looking at breeding for a couple of years and births at least four year if they get on.

Kifaru Bwana and Benosaurus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.