Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by BeakerUK, 1 Jan 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

how cute was that, sucking on a hose?!?! :D

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would like to see some more info or pictures of the new (rhino) house and paddock designs.
    I assume they will give the female ample time to get settled before they bring others.

Pertinax likes this.
  3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The inside looks exactly the same but with a breeze block(?) wall division. If they bring in the male soon it seems they don't have contact indoors, unless there is a barred gate not evident in the photo.

4. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Looking at the two comparison photos. The section she’s in is only about 1/3 of the total space. So there is probably enough space for them to be held together once settled but also apart with no visual contact if needed. As Rhino can be quite aggressive the visual barriers are possibly a requirement?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. Jola

Jola Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Black rhinos can be very aggressive. AFAIK, adult black rhinos can't be held together indoor.

6. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Visited today with a break in the weather was a plesent afternoon with the zoo reasonably busy but not over crowded. The new rhino is currently of show with blinds installed along the windows of the house so unable to see inside, the paddocks from what I could see are comeing on though with new fencing seaming to be completed around both areas and shelters built in both sides, will upload pics but they aren't great as areas around all fenced of limits. Spoke to a couple of keepers they said the rhino was moved in quickly because of brexit fears they are of the impression transport costs would rise at the end of the month. They didn't say where the male was coming from but unless his quarters aren't possible to finish in time and given they have said it could be six weeks I could assume he will be coming from the uk. As far as the tigers go the first person I spoke to said they have had delays to the tigers moving but they where hoping to also have them with in a month. Again because of fears over transport cost however there enclosure seams also a way of unless they are trying to complet the house to hold them as they move on to the external areas as the house seams far more finished than the rest of the enclosure. After speaking to another keeper there though he was not as sure as there looks to be a delay on brexit giving them more time. The plam oil area is being redeployed also by the mearkats for according to one keeper the prairie dogs. As for the old chimp enclosures they are thinking of using one for the bonobos second group of which two individuals where moved last week to Germany and four moved into the be bread this would be most likely be the older one opposite the tigers. The other is being looked at for storage I would think this would be the newer of the two near chimp Eden as it has no indoor viewing and if they bricked up the outdoor windows it would look like a storage building rather than an old enclosure.

tom1998 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  7. J C

Another thing just remembered today they where doing work on the tiger enclosure you could see the diggers moving about behind the fencing though couldn't see what they where doing. Unless they are behind find it strange to see them working on a Sunday. And was told there are expecting a male and female tiger initially but couldn’t tell of which species of where they would come from though with them saying they where trying to get them soner rather than later can assume they will be come from Europe with fears over transport costs after brexit like they got the rhino in so quick with an unfinished enclosure

Last edited: 17 Mar 2019
    tom1998 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  8. tom1998

tom1998 Active Member 5+ year member

Does the female rhino have any outside access currently then?
    And what size roughly is the tiger enclosure looking? I haven't been since they started building it so I'm struggling to picture it.

9. J C

The rhino doesn't appear to have access to the paddocks as yet as the construction work is still on going not sure but would imagine she can get in to the hard standing out side her door as this used to have its own fencing for the elephant, wouldn't think she would want to at the min like most of us with the weather the last week. The tiger enclosure is hard to discribe with the amount of construction, what will be enclosure and what is viewing paths ect but the site goes from the otters down to the old end of the old cheater enclosure and taking in most of the grassed picnic area so is some size possibly as large as the giraffes or zebra foot print.

tom1998 likes this.
  10. littleRedPanda

which section were the cheetahs in? where the dhole were?

11. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@JC
    Which bonobos have been shipped to Germany and wo what zoo?

12. J C

Don't know which ones they where such a wealth of info I didn't interrupt but the impression it was a swap deal if that helps narrow down, don't know which German zoos hold the species

13. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I hope the zoo will annouce it soon...

14. J C

The cheaters where next to the enclosure the tufted deer are currently in where there's starts the cheaters ended with the cat house at the opposite end running parallel the the permiter fence not sure if this is where the dhole where but the cheaters left a while ago and when it was demolished a few weeks back the enclosure was all but fallen down on its self and vastly overgrown

littleRedPanda likes this.
  15. littleRedPanda

Berlin (Zoologischer Garten)
    Frankfurt (Zoo)
    Köln (Zoologischer Garten)
    Leipzig (Zoo)
    Stuttgart (Wilhelma)
    Wuppertal (Zoologischer Garten)

I don't know which have possible matches for breeding, though I'm guessing Wuppertal and Frankfurt are ruled out.

16. J C

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. J C

Just going back to my original question on breeding pairs requirement, i know it's been moved to its own section but I think the second part of the question is best here. That being if they are does this explain why the new arrivals tiger, rhino are coming in breeding pairs not your normal for twycross all male / female groups ? Or does anybody else think this is a personal shift by the zoo

18. katinakalinakaterina

katinakalinakaterina Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm not sure what the breeding requirements are at the minute in relation to tigers and rhinos i.e. is breeding still going or has it been halted for the moment (I know rothschild giraffe breeding has been halted for the moment due to a large increase in births) as for tigers and rhinos I suspect breeding is still on going (I think someone will be able to confirm this) they are likely bringing in the animals as soon as possible to avoid increasing costs as a result of brexit. Also having a male and female from the start allows them to get used to having a neighbour that they can see/hear/smell etc. This could help make introductions a bit smoother (as neither has an established territory and they are used to the other being close by).

19. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

In that case please explain the recent giraffe birth at Chester,Longleat is on a hold from breeding!

20. katinakalinakaterina

katinakalinakaterina Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Dagmar (and at least one other female, possibly Orla) were pregnant before the temporary halt on breeding was announced. Also Longleats male, Thorn, has been castrated so they will not be breeding for a while anyway.

"According to Animal Park last year Rothschild breeding was to be halted for a few years as there had been such an increase in breeding but obviously some cows were already pregnant."

Last edited: 23 Mar 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.