Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo News 2021

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by jamie779, 2 Jan 2021.

1. Michel L'HUILLIER

Michel L'HUILLIER Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Tafin likes this.
  2. bintarong

bintarong Well-Known Member

Thankfully found 3 planning applications that show Twycross' 2021 masterplan developments. The new children's zone, play barn and new access lane on the A-road and parking upgrades.

Play barn attaches to the current discovery centre in a natural and rustic style. The barns main function seems to be a play area like the one in himalaya but not too sure.

The children's zone is the most interesting for this year with the removal of majority of buildings and then creating a new immersive zone with 'statues and anamatronics' most likely dinosaurs or something prehistoric. Owls also have new enclosure and the cafe having an expansion. Seems to be a complete natural redevelopment with butterfly forest and the remaining buildings thankfully having a new design.

The new access has a ghost lane mentioned in the 2008 upgrade to the entrance but never actually done. The new lanes are all measured for large vehand coaches which is perfect for Twycross. The car park are also being resurfaced and added new drainage to prevent the season flooding.

Link to the statements: https://pa.hinckley-bosworth.gov.uk/online-applications/simpleSearchResults.do?action=firstPage

sloggervlogger and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  3. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm drowning in deja vu here. :rolleyes:

4. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

@bintarong I wonder if the mentioned animatronics will be Farm Animals. If they are not does,this mean that the Pets Corner at Twycross Zoo will be history?

5. bintarong

Im thinking dinosaurs as they are quiet popular and would be an additional income source. Never really mentioned what they are but states 'interactive'. Luckily no. Majority of small pets are staying which is great. There's also a outside theatre where the alpacas are currently for animal displays, the current education centre is being turned into a small mammal house, one house is labelled snake house, extension to donkey house to make it all indoors and larger and of course the new owl aviary.

6. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

@bintarong I've neaver visited Twycross Zoo,so could you please explain which species and buildings will be lost,during the refurbishment of Pets Corner?

7. bintarong

Wow ok so it's started. Work is confirmed to have begun and the area is closed off. Was gonna get a full list but all animals in pets corner have been removed from the website and app. Below shows link to the new map on the website. Also says the Kangaroos are no longer on the map, possibly passed away or moved or just error. Butterflies also now closed for the redevelopments. Honestly can't wait for the 2030 plans to start rolling in !!

Download our NEW Twycross Zoo App | Twycross Zoo

8. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Just managed tonight to get access to the planing portals for these projects, the road works to be honest I’m not to interested in as I never have any trouble access the zoo when I visit though any improvement would be good for peak times for other visitors. The plans for the barn and redevelopment of the farm area though are great news that the zoo is continuing to move forward in these uncertain times. A couple of concerns though the newest application for the redevelopment of the farm area doesn’t show the barn from the first application that was approved back in December is this simply because it doesn’t exist yet and is in an adjacent area or is the new development a replacement for the barn rather than an addition? I can only guess it’s an addition if they are now showing the area as closed on the new map as they only have planning for the barn at the moment and won’t revive planning ( if they do, which I’m sure they will ) for the redevelopment of the farm area till June so would expect construction to start till at least July / august so why close and advitise the area pre planning approval. As for the barn I’m not sure it’s a play area as they already have two on it’s door step and it discribes it as an auditorium with the area out side as a pre show shelter, I would go with an animal show possible parrots. The redevelopment of the farm shows animal areas around a new walk way with photo areas etc these could be animatronics but would hope they are live animals experiences along with a few animals being rehome with better exhibits with in the area also such as the tapirs and vicugna to bring them more into view of the public and help with the devolpments on the road entrance. The owls moving also I feel has to do with the long term plans of rhino phase 2 where that area may be required. Like I said it’s good to see the plan continuing and better to see some of these plans and applications where being done and approved when most of us thought the place have abandon them all together

9. sloggervlogger

sloggervlogger Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The otters are gone now. I know they reached that age, but it's sad not to be able to see them again.
    I do hope they will get Otters again.
    Stork has disappeared.
    Kangaroos seem to be gone.

JT, bintarong and Animallover1998 like this.
  10. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That doesn't sound good....

11. Trudie

Trudie Well-Known Member

They don’t really inform folk of their animals coming and going I really liked the otters so was disappointed to find out they had gone x

sloggervlogger likes this.
  12. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

There only seemed to be one kangaroo when I was there on the first weekend of January - did feel like they were being phased out. Shame though.

13. J C

Got to visit this afternoon didn’t see the otters enclosure but assume as they are of the map they are no longer part of collection, the storks where gone along with there exhibits signage as are the kangaroos and there signage. There exhibit now has goats in it with signage so at least the exhibit has been filled quickly. The Mara are back in the old chimp enclosure so the bush dog boys must have moved on that where using this exhibit. The rest of the zoo and visit was as good as can be expected with the restrictions in place for not being able to go inside with the giraffe, gorillas and rhino all making appearances outside. The Covid restrictions where all as before in general but they are doing the QR code scanning at the entrance but the on way system has gone and it’s all a bit of a free for all though the dividing fence down the middle of the zoo almost forces a one way approach. The new development in the explora zone is under way with that area all boarded off and the rest of the zoo has had a good tide up with lots of replacement fencing in, trees cut back, the penguins enclosure walls painted and a couple of the kiosk stalls replaced for new ones. The one thing I did wonder today as it was extremely busy / full for what I though was limited capacity tickets was weather they are still working on there capacity with the explora zone being open as this is a large area of the zoo no longer accessible some areas of the zoo around lunch time look as busy as they would be at regular Easter. Great day though and glad to be back

JT and britishzoofan like this.
  14. Trudie

Trudie Well-Known Member

I wonder if they have changed their bush dog plans then as a keeper told me that they were keeping the 2 boys, one as a new breeding male the other would be castrated and that the females would be moving on .. looking forward to seeing the changes thankfully we have booked a early slot to avoid the crowds as it gets busy with or without covid lol

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. J C

Mandy they have we didn’t see the Bush dogs in there enclosure either as they where inside so it’s possible the boys are back in there and the females have left

16. Trudie

Trudie Well-Known Member

Ooh ok I’m going next month so will have a nose lol

17. hjkr

hjkr Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just got back from Twycross for the first time in over a year.

Does anyone know if Batu (adult male Orangutan) is still at the zoo? I was with the Orangutans for a while, no sign of him anywhere. The younger ones and females were able to get into both sides of the indoor enclosure as well as the outdoor. There is usually signage about the group near the indoor area but I couldn't see it anywhere.

Past few times I have been, Batu has been in with Mal and Basuki while Kibriah and Kayan were separated.

18. sloggervlogger

sloggervlogger Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, he's still there. Saw him a week ago.

19. demonmoth

demonmoth Well-Known Member 10+ year member

i went today as well, i can confirm only 2 male bush dogs, and no otters, apparently they were found dead in their enclosure one morning, how true that is i dont know

20. hjkr

hjkr Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thank you, he must have been in the other bedroom area. Was he in with the whole group when you saw him or were they in two separate groups?