Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross zoo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by KJ, 8 Jan 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Langurs and Lemurs at Twycross 1987 to 2006

Refer to previous threads for details of how information obtained -

Silvered leaf monkey - 6 at start , 3(2) born , 5 died , 2 departed in 1985 .

Dusky langur - 6 at start , 39(5) born , 3 arrived , 21 died , 14 departed , leaving 2.6 at end 2006 ( current ISIS 1.4 )

Entellus langur - 4 at start , 5(1) born , 1 arrived , 1 died , 8 departed , last 3 in 1996 .

Phayre's langur - 1 at start , 1 arrived , 1 died , leaving 0.1 still present .

Javan leaf monkey (black morph ) - 9 at start , 12(5) born , 9 died , 6 departed , last 1 integrated with browns in 2002 .

Javan leaf monkey ( brown morph ) - 3 arrived 1985 , 20(5) born , 5 died , 3 departed , leaving 7.4 end of 2006 , current ISIS same .

Purple-faced leaf monkey - 3 arrived 2001 , 4(1) born , 2 died , 1 departed , leaving 2.1 ( current ISIS 1.1 )

Francois langur - 2.0 arrived 2006 , still there .

Black and white ruffed lemur - 7 at start , 62(13) born , 4 arrived , 5 died , 48 departed , leaving 6.1 ( current ISIS 4.1)

Ring-tailed lemur - 2 at start , 4 arrived , 1 born , 1 died , 6 departed ( last 1996 ) . Current ISIS shows 4.2 , arrived 2007 or 2008 .

Red ruffed lemur - 3 arrived 1993 , 1 departed , 1 animal exchanged 2001 when breeding started - 16(13) born , 1 died , leaving 1.3 , current ISIS 1.4 .

Red-bellied lemur - 2 arrived 1999/2000 , 7(2) born , 1 departed , leaving 2.4 , current ISIS 1.2 .

Crowned lemur - 2 arrived 2001 , 4(2) born , 1 departed , leaving 2.1 , current ISIS 4.1 .

Alaotran gentle lemur - 2 arrived 2002 , (1) born , 1 died , 1 departed 2005 .

Slow loris - 2 arrived 1992 , departed 1994 .

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

With labelling itself as the world primate centre they have never been strong on lemurs.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Success with the Langurs seems to be overall intermediate between the Gibbons and the Guenons. I imagine that these results reflect the general difficulty or otherwise of breeding all these various species in captivity as a whole (and not just here) as despite the old fashioned housing at Twycross, it always looks to me as if the animals are very well cared for (as against MANAGED) and they must have a great deal of experience by now with all those species which they keep/kept. That's not to say these results are exactly what you'd expect from a 'global centre of excellence'.

I'm amazed they've only ever bred a single Ringtailed Lemur...

4. Bele

I suspect ring-tailed lemurs are amongst a number of species they do not try to breed .

I agree the animals do look well cared for . I really do not like the tiny inside areas in most houses - I wonder if all stock is shut in outside of opening hours , I hope not . Even if not shut in , during winter they must be stuck inside for very long periods every day .

There are no representatives of Macaques or Baboons in the collection either - I seem to remember being told once that Molly did not like them .

5. taun

taun Well-Known Member

The animals as far as I know have access to indoor and outdoor all year round. I have seen a few cases where an aniamls maybe shut indoors or out doors and these have been with the Bonobo's (one group has to be shut in all day while the other group gets access to outdoor enclosure aswell the indoor) and the orangutans (I think they had two groups at one stage and there one group had to stay indoors in very crampted conditions)

I have a question someone may be able to answer, does the Bonobo house have off show den's? I have never noticed before and can't remember seeing any?:confused:

6. Bele

There are a number of small dens running down both sides of the Bonobo House . There are windows ( not proper viewing though ) and I have seen one bonobo being held apart from the group on a past visit .

7. Pertinax

The Apes don't have free access, at least they didn't used to. UNLESS there have been changes, they are shut indoors at night into the small individual sleeping dens where they are fed in them just as the zoo closes. I'm pretty sure they stay in them overnight, though not absolutely sure on that. If so, that's from about 5p.m through to the next morning.
    In the orangutan and chimp houses there are glass viewing windows into the dens. The orangs certainly used to look as if they've been put in theirs for the night... In the gorilla and Bonobo houses these dens(actually wire mesh boxes) are offshow though there are small blacked windows along the outside walls..
    The Bonobo House and older Gorilla House have the same arrangement- about three dens offshow on each side of the house. In the newer Gorilla house the dens are on one side only, the one nearest the old Gorilla enclosure.

I wonder how many other species there are actually allowed free access? Twycross is not a very secure site and a fairly easy target for vandals or other nightime visitors.

Last edited: 27 Aug 2008
  8. Pertinax

Yes, I'm sure they don't try to breed ringtails, but I'm still surprised they've only had a single birth. If you have a pair or group, you can normally expect results. (not Twycross bashing,;) but its a fact)

I was told they did have Lion -tailed Macaques for a very short while (circa 1980's?) but that they ripped up the manicured turf in the enclosure so were hastily moved out. Not sure if thats true though...

9. Bele

Yes - a pair of lion-tailed macaques arrived at Twycross on 29.10.1975 , the female from Widdington ( ? Mole Hall ) , male unknown origin . They were moved on to Bristol on 14.7.1976 . The male died at Bristol in 1979 , the female ended up at Regent's Park in 1983 where she died in 1985 .
    Details from 1991 Studbook .

10. Pertinax

So Twycross had them about nine months. I can believe them tearing up the grass as they are very hard on enclosure vegetation(Colchester's is bare earth, Bristol's was heading that way to start with). I saw the pair at London Zoo, they came from Bristol who at that time had two pairs- of which this was the older non-breeding pair.

11. Chris79

Chris79 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Twycross are planning to rotate the lions and dholes between enclosures in their planned new exhibit. The planning application has not yet been submitted.

12. taun

taun Well-Known Member

WOW, another wonderful idea for from Twycross Zoo.:rolleyes:

Why doesn't this surprise me!

13. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

I think Chris means that two exhibits will be built and the lions and dholes rotate between them, like zoos in the US do (rather than one species stays indoors and the other is outside)

14. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Lets hope so.

15. Chris79

Chris79 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Oops, yes Jimmy is right, I didn't realise it was so ambiguous. Here is the exact wording from the Trustees' Report:

16. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Still the money spent on this could be better spent on their existings enclosures.

17. CZJimmy

It's good too see Dholes getting a prominent exhibit in a UK zoo and it's even better to see Twycross showing a little bit of creativity in the proposed design of the new enclosures (there aren't any rotation exhibits in the UK are there?)

However I would still prefer the money to be spent on a great ape exhibit (or exhibits!)

18. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Who knows what they have design? Maybe another brick house similar to what they create for their gorillas? :rolleyes:

Has anyone seen any plans?

19. Bele

Tamarins and Marmosets at Twycross 1987 to 2006

Details as previous posts -

Western pygmy marmoset - 4 at start of 1987 , 66(37) born , 5 arrived , 13 departed , 16 died , leaving at end of 2006 4.3.2 ( current ISIS lists 1.3.5 )

Silvery marmoset - 8 at start , 42(7) born , 3 arrived , 31 departed , 13 died , leaving 1.1 (currently same )

Cotton-top tamarin - 14 at start , 41(13) born , 7 arrived , 35 departed , 8 died , leaving 2.2.2 ( current 2.2.3)

Emperor tamarin - 2 at start , 8(1) born , 12 arrived , 8 departed , 7 died , leaving 3.1.2 ( current 5.3 )
    ( after many changes breeding finally started in 1999 )

Golden lion tamarin - 8 at start , 37(13) born , 5 arrived , 24 departed , 11 died , leaving 1.1 ( currently same )

Goeldi's monkey - 2 at start , 13(9) born , 2 arrived , 3 departed , 5 died - the last in 2002 .

Red-mantled tamarin - 2 arrived in 1988 , 11(7) born , 6 died , the last in 2004 .

Golden-headed lion tamarin - 9 arrived ( first 2 in 1991 ) , 13(7) born , 6 departed , 5 died , leaving 2.2 ( currently same )

Red-handed tamarin - 3 arrived ( first 2 in 1995) , 21(9) born , 5 departed , 8 died , leaving 1.1 ( currently same )

White-fronted marmoset - 3 arrived ( first 2 in 1996 ) , 26(1) born , 10 departed , 15 died , leaving 1.2 ( currently 1.1 )

Common marmoset - 6 arrived ( first 4 in 2000 ) , 15(5) born , 4 departed , 6 died , leaving 2.3.1 ( currently 4.4.7 )

Black-tailed marmoset - 3 arrived , ( first 2 in 2002 ) , 2(1) born , 1 died , leaving 1.1.1 ( currently same )

Eastern pygmy marmoset - 4 arrived 2002/03 , all died 2003 .

Black-eared marmoset - ISIS shows stock of 1.1 , (none reported to end 2006)

Just the Apes left now , should be easier than this last section .

Re Bristol lion-tailed macaques metioned by Pertinax , the breeding group including the 1-handed female were previously at Thorney - I saw them there not long before it closed .

20. CZJimmy

a brick house is a given;) only joking, but what I meant by "design" was they've shown some initiative by proposing a rotation exhibit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.