Join our zoo community

UK collections holding Vultures & Eagles help please?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by adrian1963, 21 Dec 2014.

1. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

I will be trying to visit as many collections as possible next year with a major aim to see as many as possible Vulture and Eagle species, I was wondering which collections I should visit as to get as many species as possible.

Please bare in mind I have to use public transport and will already be visiting my local collections of which not many actually have Vultures or Eagles held within them (Dudley Zoo, Twycross Zoo, Birmingham Nature Reserve & West Midland Safari Park) will be visiting my favourite Falconry collection quite a few times this being Hagley Falconry Centre (just arrived Stellar Sea Eagle and the Ruppell Vultures are nest building again so here’s hoping for more success with the pair next year).

Any information would be great on locations for Vultures and Eagles even if there is only a single species in a collection that I haven’t seen before I would visit that collection

2. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Not local to you, but the Hawk Conservancy Trust in Weyhill near Andover has an excellent collection of both, more Vultures than Eagles though.

3. anidude

anidude Well-Known Member

whipsnade and i beileve woburn have eagles and vultures

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Cotswold Falconry Centre - albeit not terribly near yourself - has the following taxa:

African white-backed vulture (Gyps africanus)
    American black vulture (Coragyps atratus)
    Hooded vulture (Necrosyrtes monachus)
    Palm-nut vulture (Gypohierax angolensis)

5. adrian1963

Many thanks folks for the info Cotswold Falconry centre will be on my to do list as it can be done by public transport on the same day as Birdland park & gardens in Bourton-on-the water

6. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Edinburgh has also has Sea Eagles, along with Egyptian Vultures

7. J0nny666

J0nny666 Member

London Zoo has King vultures I think

8. craneman

craneman Member

Exmoor zoo hold 1.1 Palm nut vulture.

9. Maisie

Maisie Well-Known Member

10. alfiethetortois

alfiethetortois Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Lake District wildlife Park hold a single griffon vulture and an american bald eagle. They actually have a pretty impressive collection of birds of prey with various birds and owls and a flying display twice a day.

Nice little park, though you might struggle to get there on public transport.
    Though I do believe that you can catch the bus that runs from Kewsick and it takes 40 mins from there. To get to Keswick you'd probably best catching a train to Penrith, then a bus from there to Kewsick.

11. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Why not use Zootierliste to find out where specific birds are - Rueppell's griffon vulture for example

Rueppell's griffon vulture

Or what a specific zoo is holding - Dudley for example

Dudley

It might be quicker than waiting for responses

12. ISOE2012

ISOE2012 Well-Known Member

The responses here have been quite good I think (considering the OP has to use public transport, it wouldn't be entirely useful to suggest a location right down south in the middle of nowhere for example)... Maybe a bit slow because it is a busy time of year. Zootierliste isn't always 100% accurate. In some cases and collections, it is years out of date. That isn't to say it isn't helpful. But if I were to go to a collection to see a certain species, I would certainly phone up or email first.

13. adrian1963

I agree totally Zootierliste is a great helpful site to have and even though it is slightly out of date on most collections it can be a good indictor ass to which collection holds what species.

I did start a thread on here so people could update the lists within Zootierliste but it failed to achieve what I was hoping would be a great help to people.

To the person who sent a p/m I have now responded with e-mail many thanks for the help and info.

14. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

London Zoo has black vulture, King vulture, eurasian kestrel, common buzzard, grey buzzard eagle, Ruppell's griffon vulture, black kite and various hawks...

15. Astralgal

Astralgal New Member

Banham Zoo in Norfolk has a Bald eagle and also holds Ruppels and Hooded Vultures, I'm not sure how accessible it is by PT though

16. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Not at all, sadly :(

17. Hexaprotodon

Hexaprotodon Well-Known Member

Yorkshire Dales Falconry Centre, Nr Settle in North Yorkshire, hold several species of vulture and eagle.

18. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Having recently visited I'd also point out that it's not particularly easy for most people with private transport either. :)

It's not quite the middle of nowhere but I've heard you can see it from there. :D

19. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have to agree with you on this. Finding it isn't so bad because there are ( a few) signposts, but getting home is another matter!