Join our zoo community

UK Lens hire

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by Reevesie, 5 Sep 2013.

1. Reevesie

Reevesie Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a lens hire company in the UK that stocks the Sigma 150-500mm lens (Canon fit)?

I'm currently torn between the Sigma 150-500 and the Canon 100-400. I have hired the Canon lens for a weekend and its an amazing lens but out of my price range. The Sigma is within price but I would ideally like to test it before I buy.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Reevesie

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not a direct answer, but Canon is going to come out with a new version of their 100-400 sometime next year (probably, according to CanonRumors.com). It will be very pricey, but people will be selling their current models to upgrade to the new one, which means the market will be glutted with used 100-400's. If you can wait that long, you should be able to pick up a used model at a good price. You may even find a used one now that you can afford, as I am certain it is much sharper than the Sigma you are considering.

3. Reevesie

Thanks for that, I didn't realise they were intending to release a newer version.

I tested a canon over 3 days at 3 very different zoos and the results were impressive, its just the price lol

4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My preference for photo gear and service is Calumet Photographic, which is essentially for pros and serious amateurs (although I have no experience of hiring from them). They stock the lens and have a branch in Milton Keynes which is a rental point.

Alan

5. Reevesie

Thanks I shall have a look at them, Milton Keynes would be pretty handy, its about 40 mins from me :)

6. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest Calumet too - I have bought from them many times and I know people who have rented from them too.

7. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great minds . . . :)

Alan