Join our zoo community

UK zoos & lockdown going forward...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TriUK, 8 May 2020.

1. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

There are MPs again calling for a more accessible fund being created, covered on BBC news at the minute, so I imagine there might be a piece on the website soon.

2. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

If you sign up for Give as you Live, some zoos are registered there and can receive donations in a similar way to Amazon smile, but with a much wider variety of shops.

3. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

End of the lockdown - when can we go back to the zoo? Colchester have announced re-opening on December 2; Paignton have yet to decide.

4. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I don't know the official approach, but I heard on Sky news that entertainment venues will not be allowed open in tier three areas. Are zoos being lumped into that sector?

5. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

The version I read specified indoor entertainment venues - if that's right then at least the outdoor bits of zoos should be OK. The context of it was more about cinemas, bingo halls etc so whether it would apply to things like aquariums and museums was unclear, though.

6. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

They appear to have gone back to the March/April situation and this time have not mentioned zoos at at all (yet?). Entertainment appears to be split off from leisure this time too, and of course in tier 3 it makes little difference as there is a travel ban - so we will be back to zoos being allowed to be open (possibly) but no-one can travel to them.

In our case, if zoos are not specifically required to close, Hamerton will re-open and stay open as long as is permitted. In Cambridgeshire we have been in the lowest tier, so could have been open all through what has been a very mild November. Now the local cases are building, we are in the bizarre position of being allowed to open again... Only in the UK...!

On December 3rd we will open with a reduced daily cap, and at Hamerton face masks will have to be worn at all times on site, indoors and outdoors - as the danger to our staff now appears to be higher than it has been throughout the pandemic. Walk-through aviaries, waterfowl enclosures etc will of course have to be closed due to country-wide bird-flu restrictions - but we hope that having the Cuscus, Echidnas and a Ring-tail Possum on show will ease the disappointment a little, and compensate for not being able to see the Wombats and Budgies, albeit temporarily. At Hamerton face masks will have to be worn at all times on site, indoors and outdoors.

Unless of course it is all different on Thursday.... we are waiting until then to re-open our on-line ticket sales.

Last edited: 24 Nov 2020
    ro6ca66, JurassicMax, pipaluk and 5 others like this.
  7. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It most definitely does, hopefully I'll be able to reschedule my cancelled visit before Christmas as well.

pipaluk likes this.
  8. Themonkeyguy1

Themonkeyguy1 Well-Known Member

And me, was waiting for the echidna announcement before planning a visit. :p

9. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

This will certainly be something to look forward to when I next get down - although I suspect in my case it won't be until after the New Year.

10. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Indoor housing only for the moment, but all with viewing windows. Indoor re-fit for Possum(s)/Echidnas is done, just needs furnishing. We've been working on paths, drains and new aviary foundations (plus an extension to the main coffee-shop kitchen) during lock-down so should have access to the Cuscus done next week. Leaving them till last as they have a joey, just starting to look out of the pouch. I am sure the moves will be on social media as they happen, along with an important departure today...

11. TeaLovingDave

Another spot of good news then - I think the species has bred a couple of times at Cotswold and Twycross, so not a UK first, but a nice achievement nonetheless :)

SHAVINGTONZOO likes this.
  12. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Breeding Cuscus is excellent news. Well done Mr Swales and team!

Andrew Swales and JurassicMax like this.
  13. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Breeding cuscus is excellent news.

Just to confirm, is this the New Guinea ground cuscus you're referring to? If so, the UK first breeding was at Blackpool.

14. TeaLovingDave

That is indeed the species in question :) I'd completely forgotten Blackpool had them, so thanks for the reminder!

15. Themonkeyguy1

Just out of interest, what year was the first UK breeding for this species? :)

16. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

pipaluk and Themonkeyguy1 like this.
  17. Themonkeyguy1

Thanks, Tim.

18. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Paignton is re-opening on 3 December. Booking starts just after midday tomorrow 27 November.

19. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Don't count your echidnas until they're hatched

TNT and CGSwans like this.
  20. sparkes12

sparkes12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Booked whipsnade today for the 4th December,easy to get tickets 2 members and one paying. Can't wait to get back there.