Join our zoo community

Unusual NZ animals , and NZ biosecurity

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Nigel, 30 Apr 2005.

1. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

I have read with great interest the many responses in the thread that started off re. elephants and has branched off into many different subjects .

I dont know if Patrick has been to NZ , but he is certainly correct about one thing -- the biosecurity laws are really strict in NZ ( probably the most restrictive in the world ) and these apply to zoos almost as much as it applies to ordinary people .

As we are basically still a farming country , we have many introduced animals that are thriving here , and are killing our native animals , either directly , or indirectly by overgrazing of food supplies . Many of our wildlife are unique , and exist nowhere else in the world . Bush tailed possums are the biggest culprit that I can currently think of -- you have to have a permit to keep any live possums , and no one will be charged with killing any ... !!

There are NO snakes in NZ ( even zoos are prohibited to display a single speciman of any species , even if it is only one male grass snake ) Any that are discovered ( in cargo etc ) are destroyed by Ministery of Agriculture first , and identified later .
    Bo Derek was hoping to star in a film that was going to be produced in NZ , but was denied entry into NZ because she insisted in wanting to bring in a solo boa contrictor . We dont know if she tried to smuggle the snake in -- the fact that there was such a potential threat of her doing so was enough for border control to deny her entry .

Some NZ unique wildlife include ;
    Kiwi - the native bird . San Diego Zoo is the only one outside NZ that displays kiwis . About the size of a large hen , with a beak about a foot long , with nostrils on the end of it . It pokes its beak into soil , trying to locate worms and grubs to eat . It doesnt fly , but runs very fast through the undergrowth . Being nocturnal , it is very hard to see in the wild ( I have heard them in the wild , but not seen them there )
    It has a "bad temper" ( like koalas ) and attacks with strong legs with sharp claws . Its eggs are about one third the size of the female bird !

Kea -- this parrot prefers to live above the snowline on the Southern Alps , which would be a real illogical place for a parrot to choose to live !! It is an incredibly intelligent bird that has an insatiable curiosity . They have no fear of humans , but close encounters would not be advised ; they have incredibly strong , pointed , and sharp beaks . They are real clowns which have to explore everything , and this usually means demolishing the object that they are exploring ( that would include things like motorbikes , given half the chance ) They are experts at being able to break into locked cars , and they seem to supplement their diet with windscreen wipers ! They are not aggressive , but it has the capability to amputate your bottom jaw -- fingers are no problem !!

Kauri snail ; large black snails , about 3 inches wide . Most snails are herbivorous , this species is carnivorous . Its diet is worms or grubs .

Giant weta ; The worlds heaviest insect ( and one of the more ugly ones ) Wetas are related to the Australian king crickets , but are alot uglier , and are covered in spikes , and have huge snapping mandibles . The giant weta weigh about the same as 2 mice . Not agressive , but wont hesitate to bite , and stick their spikes into you

Tuatara ; Whoever said that the dinosaurs have died out has never been to NZ . We have the last remaining dinosaur . It looks a bit like an Australian water dragon , up to about a foot long , which seems to be covered in bulletproof metal plating . In reality the skin is very soft . Despite its appearance , it is NOT a lizard . But it is usually grouped with lizards etc for convenience sake . These are very rare

Morepork ; a small owl ( no bigger than 6 inches ) with a big mouth !
    On a still night you can hear them up to 2 miles away . Their call is very similar to their name . MORE PORK !! MORE PORK !! MORE PORK !!
    According to an ornithologist , it will probably accept this morsel if it were offered , but would prefer small mice , lizards etc

2. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

native fauna

you forgot about one of my favorites nigel - the kakapo.

i firts read about this bird about five years ago in douglas adams' last chance to see, a great laugh about a writer and biologist travelling the world for a glimpse at it's rarest fauna. sadly, the northern white rhino can be expected to be functionally extinct by the end of the year and the boor baji (or yangtze river dolphin), written off by so many conservation groups, has now believed to be the first cetacean to become extinct (feel free to question WDCS on why they chose to pull out of the rescue plan for this unusual species!). however the kakapo has been a major success story. a giant, green, ground dwelling parrot just seems awesomel to me.

i wonder why ferrets/weasels/stoats do so well in NZ yet ferrets, that can be bought at a pet shop here in australia, have never managed to establish themselves here (thank god!).

i have, like so many other australians, been somewhat not interested in australian fauna in the past. but over the last few years i have begun to develop a great appreciation for the giant flying foxes, possums and rainbow lorikeets that flock to the eucalyptus tree on my nature strip each day and night. and i live 15 mins walk from the melbourne CBD!

and a kangaroo, have a second look - they are one of the coolest things you'll ever see!

3. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Kakapo and kangaroo

I didnt include the kakapo , as it is so rare , and are in a very isolated place . If you came to visit me in NZ , I could get you to seeing ( or at least hearing ) the other wildlife I referred to -- even stroking a tuatara ; but the kakapo is inaccessible to most people -- even if the are zoologists .

However , it is an interesting animal in its own right . A flightless booming parrot is certainly an unusual bird .

I enjoyed Brisbane in particular due to the large amount of wildlfe that is visible ( or at least exists ) in the cities . I got one hell of a fright when I walked under a tree in Ipswich , and a small flock of bats got disturbed by my unannounced visit .... -- Gee they make a racket !!
    There were many water dragons around town which I was really excited about . But as Jason was my guide , and I know he gets bored with the overrated kangaroos , wallabies and the likes , I didnt specifically ask to help me find them . Of the marsupials , I love the grey kangaroos . Especially the ones that are semi tame . I could sit down and just watch them for hours on end ! On my first trip to Aus. I discovered that koalas are not as tame and cuddly as they look -- the one that I held tried to take a swipe at my face , and when it discovered that I was faster than it was , it got its revenge by shitting in my hand !! And although I also think that wombats are cute , a keeper at Healesville told me that they are as temperamental as koalas .
    Enough said ! Pity though , they look so cuddly .

A funny incident happened on my first trip to Australia ; I was at a wildlife park , and it was a very hot afternoon . This was one place which had roos and emus wandering free range .
    I was in the souveneir shop , which was very quiet at that point of time . When I selected my purchase , I rang the small bell on the counter , to alert the shopkeeper that I was wanting service . A kangaroo was sleeping behind the counter out of my line of sight , but jumped up in surprise when i rang the bell . I dont know who got the biggest surprise ; me or the roo !!
    I thought it was really funny , though ; being served by a kangaroo in the souveneir shop !! :)