Join our zoo community

Unusual/unique mixed exhibits?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Dan, 23 Oct 2009.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oh on the website back then it said that the warthogs were either with the tortoises or near them (I might have mis-remembered as it was long ago. It could have said they were where the tortoises used to be. This seems more likely as I also remember something about Capybaras there as well.

2. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The now peccary enclosure that temporarily held Warthogs did hold Capybaras before.

3. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nile Crocodiles, Cheetahs, and Lions are all most certainly in their own exhibits along the Kilimanjaro Safaris ride.

4. ThylacineAlive

Yes I know this (You told me before:rolleyes:):D

5. ThylacineAlive

Yes they probably are. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that. The tiger/hyena exhibit is 100% real though.

6. carlos77

carlos77 Well-Known Member

I took the photos of the white tigers and spotted hyena cubs together at Morelia zoo and they were getting along well, but i wonder how long that relationship can last. It reminded me of cheetahs and anatolian shepard dogs I once saw at Houston zoo. By the way, are those canids and felines still together ?

7. ThylacineAlive

Those are some pretty nice photos. I find that an odd mix as well. I've heard and seen pictures of Sumatran Tiger cubs and Sumatran Orangutan babies together and African Lion cubs with adult Orangs. Same with adult Chimps. and White Tiger cubs and even a Cougar cub. I think that this is possible because of the apes kind mothering instincts (anyone ever hear of the incident where an adult gorilla protected a little boy that fell into the exhibit?) and because the predators are cubs so they are highly unlikely to attack the prey taking care of them. The only example I can think of that breaks this is when tha lone Lioness adopted (really stole) that antelope (what species was it?) fawn and raised it until a male killed it.
    I don't remember the name of the zoo or where it is (I know, I'm giving so much reliable info. on this) but one zoo keeps, or at least kept, a lioness, a male tiger, and an American Black Bear all in one exhibit.

8. ThylacineAlive

Noah's Ark Animal Rescue Center in Locust Grove, Georgia is the the zoo that houses a lioness (named Leo), a male tiger (named Shere Khan), and an American Black Bear (named Baloo) together.

[​IMG]

9. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Unusual/unique mixed exhibits

Is that a lioness or a castrated lion?

10. ThylacineAlive

It is a lioness

11. Terp

Terp Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A couple months ago I went to the Jerusalem Zoo. While it's not really the most unusual sounding mix, I don't really recall quite this sort of setup.

In their fairly large "African Yard" exhibit - there are giraffe, rhino, hippo, ostrich, addax, zebra, and marabou stork. There is a large pond in the center of the exhibit, which had an adult and juvenile hippo.

Just can't seem to think of another exhibit where you'd have rhino and hippo together? I was very surprised to spot the hippos.

12. ThylacineAlive

I'm sure this has been posted and everyone has heard the story of that junvenile Nile Hippo and Galap Tortoise being exhibited together.

The Heidelberg Zoo has Syrian Brown Bears and Corsac Fox in the same exhibit.
    http://www.zoochat.com/133/syrian-bear-corsac-fox-heidelberg-05-a-182844/
    The stangest thing about this exhibit is that it's not inside zoo walls!!:confused:

13. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The tortoise was an Aldabra.

14. ThylacineAlive

Oh. When I heard this story I was in fourth grade and I only knew about Galap Tortoises then so I just assumed it was a Galap I guess.

15. laduec

laduec Member

The Dallas Zoo has a mixed savanna exhibit with African elephants, giraffes, zebras, ostriches, impala, and helmeted and vulturine guineafowl. From what I know the Zoo is one of only two in the world (and the only zoo in the US) that mixes elephants with giraffes.

Occassionally, the education department also flies trumpeter hornbills and African crowned cranes over the exhibit.

16. condor

condor Well-Known Member

Sunshine International Aquarium in Japan has an exhibit with fennec fox, hairy armadillo, tamandua and ring-tailed lemur together. I'm not a fan of the exhibit and have a strong disliking for social animals being kept without conspecifics (1 ring-tailed lemur), but the combination is certainly unusual and at least the foxes and tamanduas have bred.

17. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The African savanna exhibit at Basel has hippos,zebras and ostriches mixed together.

18. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Unusual/unique mixed exhibits

Horrible things have been known to happen when hippos are mixed with zebras....

19. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe that in a lithuanian zoo, there is a mixed exhibit for domestic dogs and amur tigers!

20. cleusk

cleusk Well-Known Member

At the Dallas Zoo, they have a peccary sharing an enclosure with a tapir.