Join our zoo community

Unusual/unique mixed exhibits?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Dan, 23 Oct 2009.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wow! When I visited Magdeburg in 2018 they kept the elephants with Impala only, which is a mix I have seen at Zoo Tampa as well. From the photo it looks like lechwe have been added, and the Grivet and foxes are definitely unique choices!

The Nubian Ibex, Gelada, and hyrax mix is one that's been present at the Bronx Zoo since the 80's. When I visited Magdeburg they had a pair of Hartlaub's Duck here as well.

~Thylo

Haliaeetus and StoppableSan like this.
  2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

By just viewing some old videos on the world-wide-web I discovered an old video of Copenhagen Zoo - Denmark. In this video - among a lot of other very intresting animals - the sea-lion pool is filmed and next to a single ( Californian ( sea-lion ) in the enclosure 2 other species can be seen swimming together with the sea-lion. At least 2 Black swans and 2 Northern gannets are visiable in the video which was made in 1923 :

copenhagen 1923 gannet sealion.png
    Photo from the video showing Northern gannet and Sea-lion.

ThylacineAlive and JurassicMax like this.
  3. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

Also a very interesting mix of Gharial, Siamang, Mouse deer and many bird species in Bronx
    Gharials + Greater Mouse Deer | Jungleworld | The Bronx Zoo - ZooChat
    "Species in this exhibit are Greater Mouse-Deer, Asian Forest Tortoise, Forsten’s Tortoise, Gharial, Malaysian Giant Turtle, Pig-nosed Turtle, Red-crowned Roofed Turtle, Giant Gourami, Tinfoil Barb. Free-roaming in this room are Northern White-cheeked Gibbon Azure-winged Magpie, Bali Myna, Masked Lapwing, Metallic Starling, Mindanao Bleeding-Heart, Oriental Magpie-Robin, Painted Stork, Pied Imperial-Pigeon, Radjah Shelduck, Rainbow Lorikeet, Red-faced Parrotfinch, Victoria Crowned-Pigeon, White-breasted Woodswallow"

Also: Gharials and emperor tamarins in krokodille zoo (denmark)

Last edited: 8 Jan 2022
  4. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Edinburgh Zoo had Gannets and Sealions together many years ago, and the Gannets even nested. Eventually the Sealions ate them, which I believe is the usual outcome when mixing Sealions with birds.

5. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Surely not? Gibbons eat birds….

6. Jambi

Jambi Well-Known Member

The one that always intrigued me is at Longleat Safari Park, they have a large lake on their grounds where hippopotamus and California sea lions living together. I've never been, but the park used to have a docuseries on BBC years ago (not sure if it's still on TV today) and I found out about it through that.

For strange mixed exhibits I have seen, I've mentioned this in other threads, but Safari Zoo Cumbria has a mixed walkthrough called "Worldwide Safari" featuring a lot of different species living together: kangaroos, wallabies, emu, a couple types of lemur, ducks and geese, capybaras and muntjac deer.

7. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Does anyone know if large turtles (or even sea turtles) have ever been kept with manatees?

8. MennoPebesma

MennoPebesma Well-Known Member

When I read this, I immediately thought of this video :D:

9. Mr Gharial

I know multiple examples of that. Though I can't think of any right now (though there was the territorial turtle in burgers, who kept picking fights with the baby manatee)

Sea turtle and manatee has never been done before. But I don't think it would pose an issue. As manatees have been kept together with other larger animals (such as arapaimas), and see turtles the same (mainly sharks)

ParathePineapple and oflory like this.
  10. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Yes, couldn't see any reason why sea turtle and manatee wouldn't work - other than I suspect that manatees are usually kept in fresh water in zoos? But if in salt, it would be an interesting mix!

11. Aardwolf

Aardwolf Well-Known Member

Columbus Zoo keeps manatees with a hawksbill. Also, promotional materials for the new manatee exhibit at Jacksonville show manatees with sea turtles

12. red river hog

red river hog Well-Known Member

ZooTampa keeps Arrau Turtles with their manatees.

13. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

Late to the conversation, but I know of Binturong and Asian Small-clawded Otters being kept together in Bioparco Roma and Blackbucks with Pere David's Deer were mixed in the past at Parco Natura Viva

14. Mr Gharial

I've been searching ZC for a little bit trying to find good kiwi pictures and discovered that they have quite a few mixes

-With white-backed magpie in Avifauna

- With Guira Cuckoo, Black-Headed Gonolek and Blue-Faced Honeyeater in the National aviary

-With Lesser Short-tailed Bat in Auckland zoo

-With tawny frogmouth in Colombus zoo

-With red-fronted and yellow-fronted parakeet in Zlín zoo

-With laughing kookaburra in Toledo zoo

-With tuatara (!), New Zealand wood pigeon, Tūī, Red-crowned parakeet, Silvereye, Brown quail, White-faced heron, Grey teal, New Zealand shoveller and New Zealand Scaup in Otorohanga bird park (note that this is a walkthrough as well!)

birdsandbats likes this.
  15. RedRiverHogman

RedRiverHogman Member

Yes this is right

16. LycaonSekowei

LycaonSekowei Well-Known Member

Társaskifutók
    Here's a website with lots of info on mixed species exhibits. This should answer a lot of questions.

(This could also be used when making speculative zoos)

(Lots of it is also in Hungarian, so you might need to translate it)

Mr Gharial likes this.
  17. Mr Gharial

Some of these I highly doubt. Chimpanzee mixed with jackal? grey wolf mixed with white-tailed deer? Even with some of the ones I've seen I doubt those still exist

IndianRhino likes this.
  18. LycaonSekowei

LycaonSekowei Well-Known Member

I didn't say that these fully worked. Some of them might have backfired. Try scrolling down to see more info on if they backfired or not.

19. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I remember reading about the chimp-jackal mix. I want to say it was Taronga? Some Australian zoo. It no longer exists because the chimps killed the jackals.

20. Mr Gharial

It also lists a mix of wolves, bears, deer, prairie dogs, bison and a whole lot more. It's stated that the animals in this exhibit are constantly preyed upon but the deer still breed.

I wouldn't personally use this as a guide for a fantasy zoo