Join our zoo community

West Midland Safari and Leisure Park Update.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Pertinax, 1 Jul 2015.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Visited here the other day, only my second visit ever. The main purpose was to see the Persian Fallow Deer, only the second time I have ever seen this species in fact.

Last time I went it was very quiet and I drove around the reserves quite quickly and easily but this time the place was rammed and the reserves were choked with traffic for the major part of the day, though it was okay after about 3.30 p.m. I attribute this at least partly to them allowing/encouraging animal feeding which leads to traffic jams. Do the other UK Safari Parks do this?

A few other comments/random animal counts;

Persian Fallow Deer. 5.4. + there could have been hidden young but the grass is very short and most of the enclosure was visible to me.

Aoudad. 8-12.
    Blackbuck- 39; lovely herd, 1 buck, all the rest does/females.
    Swamp Deer. Circa 30. Females only nowadays- to prevent breeding.
    Phillipine Deer. In small seperate enclosure away from road. So not clear how many.
    Lowland Anoa. Ditto to Phillipine Deer, probably two.
    European Fallow, circa five white females- presumably these are the last remnant of the original Spring Grove Park white fallow deer herd
    Axis/Chital- just two females seen.
    Formosan Sika circa 30.
    Pere David's. 7.
    Nilgai. about half a dozen?

Photos on here indicate the Asian Rhino(3) were at one stage allowed in the open reserve, if so, they aren't now. Both they and the Elephants looked to have very good skin condition, probably as a result of good wallowing opportunity.

Elephant Valley- they are presented in a very natural looking setting. Their skin is dark and supple-looking- very healthy looking elephants. Just a pity they only have the two cows and calf.

Cape Buffalo- on the left in a small fortified 'boma' style enclosure just before exit of the animal reserves. Six-1 male, 2 females, two young calves, one immature. Probably overlooked by a majority of visitors but interesting to see this unusual(for the UK) species which wasn't here on my previous visit I don't think.

Common Hippo. 6. all female I believe. 'Hippo Lake' looked a bit cleaner than on my previous visit -water not so black and foetid, but its a shame the UK's largest Common Hippo group has no access to a larger land area or grazing (or breeding).

Outside the reserves- a new and very good 'Lemur Wood' -and last but not least, an excellent Dinosaur display!!:D

Last edited: 1 Jul 2015
  2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

No joy trying to spot the last remaining Sambar?

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I forgot:eek:- yes, I saw it behind the Asian Rhino house. Think its a female.

Also forgot to mention that the Wildebeest seem to have gone here now- I think its been mentioned before on here. There was no signage for them that I saw.

Last edited: 1 Jul 2015
  4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

The last Sambar is indeed a female,it also has no signs and no mention of it in the guidebook or website,hence why its keeps getting removed from zootierlist,by lazy people that just check websites and guidebooks for what a place has,instead of visiting and looking for themselves!

The Wildebeest went over 12 months ago!Have No idea where to either.