Join our zoo community

Urban Exploration - What zoos look like when closed and abandoned.

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 2 Dec 2020.

1. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I find urban exploration quite a fascinating trend / pastime (though I don't practice it as a hobby myself) and I enjoy watching videos on the topic on youtube.

Abandoned zoos seem to be a popular destination for urban explorers and there are some interesting and eerie examples of this on youtube which I've seen and thought I'd share.

This is an abandoned zoo in Australia which even had a wet / preserved specimen of a great white shark left behind :

The old LA zoo rotting away :

An abandoned zoo in Canada:

An abandoned aquarium in Scotland:

An abandoned part of a US zoo with old bear enclosures (and a nice overview of the history):

The remains of a "Jardin d’essai colonial" a very dark and twisted kind of early 20th century trend in zoos which exhibited human beings from the French colonies:

Another abandoned zoo in the USA :

An abandoned private zoo in Japan (in German) :

Last edited: 3 Dec 2020
    ZSH, TinoPup, Hammy and 2 others like this.
  2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interesting topic indeed. See also this thread: Closed Zoos - ZooChat

I have personally visited the site of closed zoos at Griffith Park (Los Angeles, California) and Crandon Park (Miami, Florida). I have also been to several zoos while they were still open that are now closed and the location redeveloped.

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I think abandoned zoos seem to make for very eerie and atmospheric places to see, photograph, film / document but I'm judging purely based on the videos above as I can't say I've ever been to one.

At the same time a long with all of these abandoned places that urban explorers document whether it be zoos, schools, hospitals or asylums I think there is a certain beauty and comfort for me in these places decaying and reverting back to nature.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  4. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

I really like Abandoned places in general. When I'm in the car, and see an abandoned farm or an old overgrown truck I just really want to explore it, I have a little obsession with abandoned places. Every location tells a story in my eyes, there very eerie yet fascinating. I mostly always die to learn the backstory of that place, small town history is something that I am interested in and read books on in particular, if you saw my post in "What are your interests besides zoos and animals?" Such cool places, I think my least favorite places to explore (when abandoned) are Mineshafts. Get me a little claustrophobic, and while they may be interesting are generally underwhelming.
    Oh, and by the way, I ordered some of those books you recommended on "your favorite gecko species?" thread and there arriving in a few days. They didn't have all of them, but I'm excited to see what's inside. :)

5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I wouldn't reccomend that you go and explore abandoned mineshafts personally, extremely dangerous.

TinoPup and CheeseChameleon1945 like this.
  6. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

Oh I haven't, They just look claustrophobic, which Is why I don't. ;)
    The way to check if abandoned mines are stable is to know their location, and what people were mining in the area. If something like really dry stone in the desert with low concentration is more likely to collapse, than something in northern hillsides. ;)
    I've studied the Subject, Its still interesting nonetheless, Don't worry, I know what I'm doing. :rolleyes: :)
    Still, some people actually have a sport of doing it. :eek:
    Don't reccomend it myself, but someone who's had experience could, I know I don't. :cool:

7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

8. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There are numerous articles on the long abandoned Discovery Island in Disney World. I got to visit that one before it closed. I find abandoned buildings fascinating although have never explored them.

Arizona Docent likes this.