Join our zoo community

Urimbirra Wildlife Park Urimbirra News

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Sunbear12, 23 Nov 2018.

1. Sunbear12

Sunbear12 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Urimbirra is a wildlife park located down near Victor Harbor in South Australia. While not covered much on zoochat I thought I would provide an overview of a range of new developments which have occurred over the past year.

For those interested a review of the park by hix is here - Urimbirra Wildlife Park - Urimbirra - a review. Most of the exhibits are still in use which hix described here except the eagle is no longer there.

- The shed discussed in the review is finally completed in the end it has become half an aviary. This is home to a range of parrots and some koalas. An exhibit off to the side houses some kookaburras. The other half has become an open air reptile exhibit with the former reptile house having been closed and the back section of the park fenced off. On display in this section are the saltwater and freshwater crocodiles with a total of 3 yards. In between these and the aviary a small path walks past 8 exhibits for snakes and 4 tanks for a range of lizards including lace monitor. At the front of this area is also another open topped yard with lace monitors.

- The other major development is 3 new aviaries built in part of the emu yard. These are for tawny frogmouth and barn owl along with a small parrot species I can't quite remember. A boardwalk runs between these exhibits and two new yards. One yard has a large pond and is home to water dragons and turtles the other houses a range of lizards.

- At the front of the park a new aviary is being constructed to house a range of parrots currently held off display on a rotating basis.

Jambo, Kifaru Bwana and Chlidonias like this.
  2. Sunbear12

Sunbear12 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I visited Urimbirra this week and have uploaded a number of photos to the gallery - Urimbirra Wildlife Park - ZooChat.

The range of new developments have been completed including the new aviary for parrots which was still under construction on my last visit.

With these projects completed the park has been cut in half with a new fence blocking access to the area which formerly had the quoll exhibit, reptile house, crocodile and reptile exhibits and assorted aviaries. The only species which have been lost through this are grey headed flying fox and quoll with the rest finding homes in the new exhibits.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.