Join our zoo community

USA Today--Vote for the best zoo in the United States

Discussion in 'United States' started by csura999, 1 Mar 2017.

1. csura999

csura999 Active Member

drill likes this.
  2. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Im surprised by riverbanks and Cleveland and Cheyenne mountain zoo also surprised that la and of course toledo did not make it have been to Brookfield many times as i used to live in Chicago always changing was not impressed by alot of st Louis zoo reptile house was amazing and because of only a little snow rivers edge and 1904 bird cage were closed mediocre hoofstock exhibits with a variety of species and ancient indoor antelope house that looks like a prison insectarium was not bad and i did not visit children's zoo or apes aviary good but repetitive penguins and puffins good and monkeys good but also repetitive the bad part of the aviary is the raptor exhibits inside are just bars and a bare exhibit like the antelope house.

3. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Saint Louis is #1 on the leaderboard right now :D:D:D

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

These lists are always somewhat arbitrary and cause ZooChatters to choke. However I do feel this list is better than most similar ones I have seen. And I am very pleased to see my local Arizona Sonora Desert Museum on the list. Not as pleased to see Phoenix Zoo there, because while it is decent it is not necessarily great. The most severe error is the omission of Dallas Zoo, which is the best in the southwest and one of the top ten in the nation IMO. Including Fort Worth over Dallas is almost unforgiveable.

GraysonDP likes this.
  5. Arizona Docent

Also I have not been to Cleveland, but how did they get on the list? Anyway I voted of course for my local ASDM which I am happy to see is number two right now (behind St Louis which I do think is a great zoo).

6. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

I voted for Bronx although I love Columbus and San Diego and Bronx might be passed by Saint Louis and/or Omaha for me when I visit in May. IMO of the ones I've visited it is ridiculous Miami, Dallas, Detroit and North Carolina aren't on there while Riverbanks, Audubon, Cleveland, Cincinnati and Memphis should definitely not be on there. Of the ones I haven't seen I think Sedgwick County, Minnesota, Oklahoma City and Kansas City should definitely be on there. Still it is much better than many other similar lists (I've seen Zoo America and Lion Country Safari ranked before).

7. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Like @GraysonDP, I wonder why other great and/or famous zoos are not listed (e.g. Zoo Miami, Asheboro, San Diego Safari Park, Dallas Zoo and - as the newcomer of the last year - Fresno).

8. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Why shouldn't Cincinnati or Audubon be on their

9. GraysonDP

Cincinnati has a stellar collection but mostly average/subpar exhibits. Audubon's exhibits are mostly average.

10. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Toledo zoo should be on there they have amazing exhibits Cleveland and riverbanks no

11. Arizona Docent

Well now I know how Cleveland got on the list (which I think almost every ZooChatter would agree does not belong). If you read the bios of the five experts they used, one worked at Cleveland Zoo for 35 years! No bias there? :rolleyes:

GraysonDP likes this.
  12. GraysonDP

They should have used you as an expert instead since I have utmost confidence you would have not put Reid Park on the list despite your connections with the zoo.

13. GraysonDP

The amount of votes given to each zoo is even worse- Bronx and Woodland Park are 19 and 20 while Riverbanks is 5 and Cleveland is 8!

14. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How is Riverbanks and Fort Worth beating out Brookfield? It's clearly superior in both collection and quality. And where in the world is Minnesota and North Carolina! Don't even get me started on Woodland park being in last place!

StoppableSan, JVM and GraysonDP like this.
  15. GraysonDP

It's really ridiculous! My list would go something like this:
    Top Ten (NPO): Bronx, Saint Louis, Omaha, San Diego, Columbus, North Carolina, Sedgwick County, Woodland Park Zoo, Dallas, Miami
    11-20 (NPO): Denver, Minnesota, Arizona Sonora Desert Museum, Disney's Animal Kingdom, Oregon, Brookfield, Oklahoma City, Detroit, Kansas City, National
    Honorable Mentions: Busch Gardens, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Houston, Toledo

16. Arizona Docent

For those wondering how the rankings are progressing, it is just based on viewer votes which means whichever zoo has the best (or most aggressive) social media following will get their members to vote. All these rankings work the same way, the votes are a popularity contest and not an objective scoring. BTW members can vote once per day (so I am about to cast another vote for my local ASDM :p).

jayjds2, Coelacanth18 and CGSwans like this.
  17. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The poll ends in around 14 hours or so - so you only have one or two chances to show your zoo some love.

18. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The only way anyone can truly qualify to vote in a poll like this is if you've visited them all. I've only visited three of the shortlist. I know which is my favourite of those three, but that's pretty meaningless.

This is just a test of how many click-throughs a zoo can generate.

19. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I think it's really more about how strong the fan bases are for each zoo. There's no such thing as an objectively "best" zoo; it's to see which one can generate the most support from the public.

JVM likes this.
  20. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yah, that's a good way of looking at it - that's a key reason Brookfield, for example, has traditionally done mediocre in such polls. In today's day and age especially, the test of the zoo's fan base is often a test of how much they can rally locals behind it. Lincoln Park very much occupies the spot as Chicago's Zoo due to it's accessibility and position in the heart of the city - even though most dedicated zoo fans know it leaves to be desired in some key areas. Brookfield, however, lacks a significant fanbase that can be rallied behind it for such polls as a result.