Join our zoo community

USA Zoos Vs. European Zoos: by Animal Categories.

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by drill, 17 Sep 2019.

1. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Mammals
    Monotremes USA 2-1. More lawesii are exhibited in Europe, but non subspecific Short-beaked echidna are more common in the USA, plus setosus and multiaculeatus (which aren't in Europe at all). If San Diego gets Platypus, it will be 3-nil. Unless Bristol gets long-beaked echidna.
    Marsupial Europe 3-0. Dallas may have Yapok, but no collection here has Derby's woolly opossum, Four-eyed opossum, Linnaeus's mouse opossum, Eastern quoll, Kowari, Tiger quoll, Brushtail possum (some subspecies also), Short-tailed spotted cuscus, Ringtail possum, Striped possum, Squirrel glider, ariel subspecies of Sugar glider, victor subspecies of Koala, apicalis and trydactylus subspecies of Long-nosed potoroo, Rufous bettong, Dusky pademelon, Goodfellow's tree-kangaroo, papuanus subspecies of Agile wallaby, tasmaniensis subspecies of Eastern grey kangaroo, and White-striped dorcopsis. Compared to Yapok, Philander opossum, more Matschie's tree-kangaroos, and more Southern hairy-nosed wombats, that's nothing. Plans for German Zoos to exhibit Bilbies appear to have been scrapped.
    Tenrecs Europe 3-0. Europe exhibits all tenrec species except for Lowland streaked, while the US holds only Lesser hedgehog tenrecs.
    Insectivora Europe 3-0. A number of hedgehogs and shrews are exhibited in Europe, while here there are African pygmy, Western European, and a few South African hedgehogs. Occasionally a shrew is exhibited for a short time at a sanctuary/ nature center.
    Elephant shrews Europe 3-1. In the US, a number of zoos hold Black and Rufous (more here than in Europe). Many European collections have Round-eared, a few have Black-and-rufous, and Frankfurt has Rufous. More coming soon.

HungarianBison and Giant Eland like this.
  2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Where does the 3 in all your totals come from? I'm confused as to how your scoring system works.

That is absolutely a false statement.

3. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not at all, in 2018 EAZA TAG report you can read: "The coordinator of the EEP for Greater bilby (Macrotis lagotis) is still in discussion with ZAA to receive a potential date when the first bilbies can be imported from Australia into EAZA."

Seems like he took inspiration in ZooChat Cup scoring

drill likes this.
  4. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Cologne ;)

drill likes this.
  5. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would be interested to see how you figure out the proboscidea, carnivora and ungulates...

I guess Plzen has single-handedly won Europe the rodents :D

6. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Monotremes: Both Europe and American zoos keep the nominate subspecies as well. In the US, there is exactly 0.1 multiaculeatus at LA and exactly 0.2 setosus split between two zoos. Meanwhile, European zoos have a breeding population of pure lawesii. Is Bristol expecting long-beaked echidna?
    Marsupials: At least SDZ and the Aquarium of the Pacific have ringtail possum, just bts. SDZ imported theirs years before Hamerton. Four-eyed opossums are also present.
    Tenrecs: Most species are not kept in zoos nor have they ever been? The US keeps Greater Hedgehog Tenrec as well, while Europe's attempts to keep both streaked have failed every time.
    Insectivora: You're ignoring that a lot of Europe's hedgehogs and shrews are also kept in nature centers. Also who has South African (frontalis) and European Hedgehogs here?

~Thylo

7. ThylacineAlive

So... this was an April Fool's joke...

~Thylo

Giant Eland likes this.
  8. Chlidonias

That is what I was thinking too - but I can't see how it works with regards to this thread.

9. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Sorry

10. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Seriously?!

11. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Where are the opossum exhibited? I thought the last Greater died. Zoo Safari USA in Oklahoma claims to keep the species. A number of small zoos in the US exhibit the European hedgehogs (Fort Rickey Discovery Zoo in NY is one of them). A aquarium in Denmark has Highland streaked, at least according to ZTL

12. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Bats USA 3-2. A very hard choice for me, but bulldog bats and Little golden-mantled flying foxes here swayed me.
    Treeshrew(s) USA 3-0. Bronx Zoo might hold Common treeshrew. If their individual is belangeri, than its a tie of 3-3
    Primates. This is divided into several categories:

Lemurs Europe 3-2. Another hard one, but Alaotran gentle lemurs and more Red-bellied lemurs wins this one for me. Europe beats America as far as mouse lemurs are concerned, but there are more sifakas here.
    Lorids Europe 3-1. America gets a point for having more Pottos, but Europe has more kinds of lorises
    Galagos USA 3-1. Europe has more Senegal bushbabies, while Garnett's, Moholi, and Thick-tailed are more common here.

Last edited: 18 Sep 2019
  13. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Titis, Sakis, and Uakaris- USA 3-1. Europe has more Red-backed bearded sakis, but America has a Red uakari plus Dusky and Coppery titis.

14. Chlidonias

I still don't understand how your scoring system works. I get that it is probably based on the Zoochat Cup method, but I don't understand how. It doesn't appear to be based on total number of species, and given your comments on, e.g. bats ("A very hard choice for me, but bulldog bats and Little golden-mantled flying foxes here swayed me") and lemurs ("Another hard one, but Alaotran gentle lemurs and more Red-bellied lemurs wins this one for me") it sounds like you're just scoring by which species you prefer? Would that be a fair statement?

Great Argus likes this.
  15. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I'm not sure it is, given some categories are being given more than a total of 3 points :p

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  16. ThylacineAlive

Exactly, the 3 point system means ties are impossible yet he's now creating ties. Bronx's Northern Treeshrew (same as everywhere else) somehow give Europe three points whereas before they had none. America's nonexistent Dusky Titis (we have Coppery and Bolivian Grey) somehow means there are four points in a three point system and Europe having more bat taxa and more endangered species than the US creates five points in a three point system presumably because drill has a couple of favorite species here.

~Thylo

17. amur leopard

If you are going to say such a strong statement, back it up.
    What is a correct statement about European zoos and tenrecs then?

18. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

ThylacineAlive and Dassie rat like this.
  19. Chlidonias

"Europe exhibits all tenrec species except for Lowland streaked" = false statement.

"Europe exhibits less than 13% of all tenrec species" or "Europe exhibits only four out of 31 tenrec species" = correct statements.

20. amur leopard

OK, but do say this before bluntly saying it is wrong.