Join our zoo community

Tasmania Zoo vandalism at Tasmania Zoo

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chlidonias, 4 Aug 2012.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Birds slaughtered at zoo - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    Animals slaughtered during zoo break-in - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (there's a 45 second news video on this link too)
    Zoo animals set free during break-in - Yahoo!7 Sport

2. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

This really makes my blood boil. It's one thing to steal some chainsaws or even to steal some birds, but to just run amok and kill animals like that? It just makes you angry.

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Damn ... what a disgraceful mess. :mad:

And the quolls gone along with the swift parrots.

This seems not just vandalism (but more disconcerting ... a mind and mission to it). I hope they can trace the vandals from sign and spoor at the site and bring them to justice ...!

4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Vandalism is one thing, but brutally beheading birds for fun is so sick and twisted. Scum like that should be euthanased.

:mad:

Hix

5. Chlidonias

I wasn't sure what to call the thread. I didn't want to be all "Sun Newspaper" and give it a title like "Animals Brutally Slaughtered At Tasmania Zoo" so I went with the catch-all "Vandalism". I agree not quite worthy of the severity of the actions of these mindless cretins. What's the bet that when caught they blame their upbringing and get a slap on the wrist with a wet bus ticket.

6. Hix

I would rather they got a slap on the wrist with those chainsaws they stole. Would stop them from beheading any more innocent little creatures.

Hix

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

More like a full years community service with the zoo and the requirement to catch up all the lost animals back up safely. :)

8. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Vile behavior.
    How many Australian zoos have been attacked like this in recent years?

9. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If it were my zoo I wouldn't have them near the place again, and certainly wouldn't allow them to endeavour to catch up any of the escapees.

Banging their heads might be an appropriate punishment - followed by several vigorous twists of their necks.

10. Hix

I agree - Kifaru Bwana's idea might sound appropriate and fair, but there's no way any of the animal caregivers I know would even contemplate letting these abominable persons come anywhere near their charges.

Zooplantman - every decade or so you hear about something like this. It's not a common occurrence, but it does happen periodically. I know Adelaide Zoo copped it in 1984 a couple of months after an ASZK conference there. That was the first time I discovered there were inhumans amognst us, and I've heard of a few others since then but can't remember where or when. Adelaide struck a chord because I'd been at the conference and had interacted with the animals in question when I was there.

Hix

11. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

There was the attack on the Adelaide flamingo a couple of years ago.

Break-ins, with the intent of stealing animals, seem to be quite common at Australian Zoos (at least compared to NZ).

12. Chlidonias

some recent-ish incidents:

*an emu shot at the Hamilton Botanic Gardens: Hamilton garden's emu shot dead by slug gun | The Standard (May 2012)
    *two Welsh tourists steal a little blue penguin from Sea World: http://www.zoochat.com/24/poms-pinch-penguin-268962/ (April 2012)
    *a pair of cottontop tamarins stolen from Alma Park Zoo, the male of which was stomped to death: http://www.zoochat.com/24/tamarins-stolen-184446/ (October 2010)
    *several cottontops and pigmy marmosets stolen from Symbio: http://www.zoochat.com/24/marmosets-tamarins-taken-raid-152725/ (June 2010)

*also the 2008 flamingo attack at Adelaide mentioned by Zooboy28 (it was a blind 75 year old flamingo bashed by teenagers, luckily it survived the ordeal)

There's lots more but these are just the ones that came to mind so I searched out the links.

13. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sickening to read about such cases. People who act so cruelly towards animals are not of sound mind and really should be referred for professional treatment. They certainly could have the same capacity for violence towards humans.

How's the animal cruelty law in Tasmania like?

14. Hix

I have a vague recollection of an alligator that was dragged from it's enclosure, bashed on the head and gutted. Can't remember where though.

Hix

15. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There was also an incident in which a (rather troubled) boy broke into Alice Springs Reptile Park and fed a lot of animals to a croc, as well as killing others.

16. Chlidonias

17. Chlidonias

Zoo finds a world of support Tasmania News - The Mercury - The Voice of Tasmania

18. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I agree, there is something seriously wrong with these people who did this and little hope of rehabilitation. How many times will they do this again, to animals or humans in the future.

I know someone who has had fences cut and animals released, but not killed. He has even caught them and driven them to a police station, and they were convinced to do it by animal liberation propaganda like, all animals should be free and they think they are helping the animals.

These criminals though don't even have the excuse of trying to help the animals. :mad:

19. crocodile_dan

crocodile_dan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I remember growing up that people broke into the Adelaide Zoo and killed the guinea pigs in the Kids Zoo.

I was told by a keeper at a major Australian Zoo that they watched a father knock a kangaroo out cold by punching it in the head after the animal was overly eager towards the food his daughter was holding.

From experience at Dundee's Wildlife Park, we had people throw rocks at our paddock animals, throw pond goldfish to our big crocodile, and some mongrel even tried to steal my croc (I bought him from the park so he wouldn't go back to a farm, the green rainwater tank croc) by busting the wire top, staff caught him before he could take "Ledge" but not before Ledge grabbed his hand with his pearly whites :)

I have also heard a story/yarn of an ex-owner of a wildlife park get drunk and shoot some crocs at his park, I don't know if this story is real or not, I'd like to believe it's not.

Cheers
    Daniel

20. Chlidonias

this is a sad thread :(