Join our zoo community

Visit Magdeburg and Leipzig

Discussion in 'Germany' started by twilighter, 18 Aug 2019.

1. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hi ZooChaters,
    I am planing 2 days trip to Magdeburg and Leipzig next week trough Berlin.
    Arriving in Berlin at 9:00. Travel to Magdeburg and spend the day in the Zoo. Travel to Leipzig in the evening and spend the next day in Zoo Leipzig. Back to Berlin and leave at 21:00.

I will use public transport and even I am aware of the great quality of the German rails, I will appreciate some tips from you.

I was eager to visit Matgdeburg for a long time, but was waiting for black-footed cat to arrive. Still I feel, that is a lot to see there and want to ask you - how not to miss:

Grandidier's Vontsira
    Dark cusimanse
    Marbled Polecat
    Marsh mongoose( if it is on show ?)
    Lesser Kudu
    Nubian Ibex

Leipzig has always been dream destination for me. My Father was working there in the 80's and he was bringing me postcards from the zoo. In many ways, Laipzig shaped my love to the animals.

In spite the great amount of rarities there, I don't want to miss:

The Pangolin
    Eastern quoll
    Kowari
    Ocelot
    White-nosed coati
    Thomson's gazelle

I will be grateful for any general tips and advices for the both collections .

Greetings

2. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The best way to see the Grandidier's Vontsira is the feeding time at 11a.m or 3 p.m. The Marsh Mongooses are currently offshow but last year I was able to see them with the curator Konstantin Ruske so try to contact him. Marbled Polecats are quite tricky to spot but it is almost impossible to miss other species you mentioned. Regarding Pangolins I would recommend you also the feeding time at 2.15 p.m both animals very active on my saturday's visit.

FunkyGibbon and twilighter like this.
  3. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Jakub , Thank you, for the tips and the feeding times!

4. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@twilighter
    Just a small tip when travelling to Magdeburg. The easiest way to get to the zoo by train is going to Magdeburg Neustadt station and taking a tram nr.10 direction Barleber See.

TeaLovingDave and twilighter like this.