Join our zoo community

Visiting the USA's zoos

Discussion in 'United States' started by amur leopard, 6 Apr 2020.

1. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Do you mean dugong in SD Sea World ? When was that ?

2. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, this was surprising (but incredible if true) to me as well. I've never heard of an aquarium keeping Dugongs in North America.

Edit: I've done a bit of googling and have found no mention of Dugongs at San Diego Seaworld. Perhaps @AmbikaFan meant Manatees?

Last edited: 9 Apr 2020
    Arizona Docent likes this.
  3. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I will probably get the 5-day pass because I might not go to SeaWorld and will probably want to visit SDZ quite few times, maybe three, and SDZSP twice :)

4. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I honestly have no idea. Traveling by train is pretty uncommon here outside of cities' subways, because it's fairly expensive outside of major routes. Would you be coming in to the 30th/market st station? That's a major hub, so I'd think it would. Feel free to PM me as well.

amur leopard likes this.
  5. amur leopard

Yes, I would. As I understand the zoo is not very far at all from there so a baggage drop would be really useful :)

6. amur leopard

I will write up the next two trips in a few days' time when I have done proper research on them. They are to Florida and area and Texas and area, with the latter probably extending into Arizona, and who knows, maybe I will be magnetically attracted into California again :D
    There seems to be a pretty easy train route to Tucson and then Phoenix, home to, from what I can gather, Arizona's best, so I reckon I will go West after Texas :)

7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Certainly a good plan; Florida and Texas are both home to several of the nation's best zoos (Dallas Zoo is the best in the southwest IMO). And of course if you can get to Arizona, well, you will have made it to the best state in the nation! (Not for zoos necessarily, but overall).

You may also want to look at this poll on best zoo state that we did a few years ago. I don't think you can see the results unless you vote, but I will give a spoiler and say the top three (in order) are: California, Ohio, Texas (I voted for Texas).
    Best State for Zoos

amur leopard likes this.
  8. amur leopard

Oh yes, I remember seeing that thread. I especially look forward to the Southwest trip, especially given the Florida trip is essentially a big excuse to see Whale sharks, although there are some nice zoos around there as well :)

9. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Do people go to Florida to see wild whale sharks? Or are you talking about the Georgia Aquarium?

amur leopard likes this.
  10. amur leopard

Sorry, I was unclear. I was going to go to Atlanta after Jacksonville to see the zoo and aquarium, where I would see my first whale sharks :)

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  11. amur leopard

Good news with the first trip! My parents have given their permission for me to go on the condition that I take a friend with me and that we go around the city together, which is fine because lots of people at my school share my interests (not just zoos, other things too). Anyway, it's in three years' time still but I've started doing some more in-depth planning!

However, the best news is that my parents have allowed me ~3 weeks for the trip! I guess that means I will be able to visit New York properly, see Philly more thoroughly than planned and see the Smithsonian institutions in full. I will be staying at youth hostels I think. At any rate, good news.

I might post later for your opinions on which attractions I should visit given how much time I now have there. I would also like to get a bit of birding in because I predict a lot of lifers ;)