Join our zoo community

VOTE NOW: USAToday 10 Best Zoo Exhibits

Discussion in 'United States' started by Zooplantman, 2 Apr 2015.

1. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Well, another zoo-themed list to ponder and debate. I've toured 16 of the 20 exhibits and there are some truly great ones included. Busch Gardens is a bizarre inclusion on the list, as is the tram ride at Northwest Trek Wildlife Park. Also, would any zoo nerd seriously consider Elephant Odyssey one of the 20 great zoo exhibits in America? Sheesh!

I like the idea of 20 different zoos being represented and probably half of the exhibits on the list I'd personally choose and so it is difficult to completely trash the selections. But what about Northern Trail at Woodland Park Zoo; Wild Africa at Binder Park Zoo; Watani Grasslands at North Carolina Zoo; Brazos River Country at Cameron Park Zoo; Asian Highlands at Hogle Zoo; Range of the Jaguar at Jacksonville Zoo; Africa at Kansas City Zoo (or just the 3-acre chimp forest); Oklahoma Trails at Oklahoma City Zoo; that makes 8 that I'd seriously consider for any top 20 list. :)

4. CleZooMan

CleZooMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have only visited Detroit, San Diego, National, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus and Bronx Zoos, but have read about the other exhibits.
    I disagree with No. 18 and possibly No. 20. The idea is revolutionary (the O-Line) but the exhibit is just average. Because Big Cat Crossing is just part of the Zoo360 system, I disagree. Night Hunters at Cincy should be on here. It is so nice to see Cleveland Zoo represented on here! I rank African Elephant Crossing maybe around the #10-12 mark.

5. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Even though I am a cat guy and beyond that a large mammal lover, I suppressed my instincts to vote for Philly Big Cat Crossing or Dallas Giants of the Savanna and my vote went to MOLA at Fort Worth. Reptiles have gotten the shaft at zoos for far too long and I think the fact that they are given prominence here in perhaps the zoo's premier exhibit is worth rewarding.

6. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Russia's Grizzly Coast is the best zoo exhibit of the past decade.

Congo Gorilla Forest is still great though.

7. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member