Join our zoo community

Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre Species List- 25/6/18

Discussion in 'Australia' started by WhistlingKite24, 13 Jul 2018.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

That's good. I thought that tank, being vertical rather than horizontal, was a poor choice for housing a Bearded Dragon.

Is the wombat back?

2. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

No, their wombat is still temporarily living at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary.

3. WhistlingKite24

I briefly popped into Walkabout Creek coming back from the nearby birdwatching track. Some notes from my visit:

*the centre no longer have any Platypus left. Their last male recently died/moved to another collection (not really sure) but they hope to acquire the species again in the near future. This leaves a big gap in their collection currently, especially as the entire outdoor area (macropod and wombat area) is now closed for renovations. The first former platypus tank currently houses a Macquarie Turtle and the second exhibit now has one of their Queensland Lungfish.

*the Whiptail Wallaby and three Eastern Grey Kangaroos have moved to another facility temporarily as they were getting stressed from the construction noises. I’m not sure where they have moved to exactly but my money is on Lone Pine.

*a new exhibit has been created near the entrance area where visitors walk in (right before the carpet python enclosure for those who are familiar with the layout). The enclosure houses a pair of Spinifex Hopping Mice. The nearby dunnarts were also great fun to watch.

*there was no sign of the Red-bellied Black Snake and its enclosure seems to be unoccupied at the moment. Fish-wise, I didn’t see the Sleepy Cod nor the Fork-tailed Catfish.

*a Green Tree Python is now on-display. It replaced the Jungle Carpet Python.

4. WhistlingKite24

Walkabout Creek’s Common Wombat will finally be returning from his stay at Lone Pine. The wombat enclosure renovation has been completed. I will visit next time I am in the area to see the new developments: Log into Facebook | Facebook

5. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Good news. Whats their bird collection like?

6. WhistlingKite24

An emu is the only bird that have on display. They used to have a small walkthrough aviary many years ago with curlews, frogmouths etc.

7. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wow thats a surpise. :eek:

8. WhistlingKite24

I visited Walkabout Creek Wildlife Centre today and noted the below changes since my last visit. I was going to write a review of the centre but it’s currently going through another wave of enclosure renovations/upgrades so I will wait another year or so for an additional visit to cover it for the review:
    • the former sleepy cod/fork-tailed catfish enclosure is now signed for a Mary River Cod, Maccullochella mariensis which is an excellent addition and very appropriate considering the species is stocked locally as a replacement for the now-extinct Brisbane River Cod. Unfortunately, I could not find it despite my best efforts.
    • the first former platypus enclosure houses a mix with a Saw-shelled Turtle, a Krefft’s Turtle, rainbowfish, and two additional species – Bony Bream, Nematalosa erebi and Sleepy Cod Oxyeleotris lineolata. Nearby, there are the coolest fish now in with the main group of rainbowfish - Galaxiids, Galaxias sp. An identification group suggested G. maculatus but I've uploaded a picture in gallery just in case someone knows [Galaxiid (Galaxias sp) - ZooChat]. The Olive Perchlets were seen in much higher numbers than usual as well.
    • the Red-bellied Black Snake nor the Pink-tongued Lizard are on-display anymore as far as I could tell. The Jungle Carpet Python and Green Tree Python are displayed side by side while the tree frog enclosure has now been opened up to combine the neighbouring exhibit which used to house the black snake. Therefore it’s one larger mixed exhibit for Boyd’s Forest Dragon and the tree frogs.
    • the crocodile exhibit is currently vacant with the sign, ‘new exhibit coming soon’. Their croc outgrew its exhibit and has been moved back to the crocodile farm. The exhibit will soon house two new juvenile crocodiles.
    • Outdoors, the wombat enclosure has been completed but it doesn’t look too different beside a new glass viewing area and a general facelift. Nearby another glass-fronted enclosure [New Enclosure - ZooChat] has been opened for a new species - a Short-beaked Echidna recently arrived. There are no macropods currently at the centre but the emu remains.
    So overall despite seemingly a few reptile losses and that the macropods aren't returning (?), there have been some interesting fish additions to consolidate their freshwater exhibits since my last visit and the new/upgraded outdoor enclosures are excellent. For photos see here: Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre - ZooChat

Chlidonias likes this.
  9. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is there any indication that platypus is coming back at some point? As one of the few zoos on Earth to exhibit the species, that was obviously a big deal for this place.

10. WhistlingKite24

No, not at this stage so it seems. Both of the former platypus exhibits have been redone for the turtles and lungfish.

steveroberts likes this.
  11. WhistlingKite24

Further information about the Striped Possum now at Walkabout Creek that I mentioned in the native mammals thread. This has to be some of the most exciting local zoo news in a while:

"We do have a striped possum here at Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre. He is currently off display as he was surrendered to the department injured and need of a safe space for rehabilitation. He has recently been featured in a few of our Discovery Shows as he becomes more comfortable around people. However, we cannot guarantee his presence on a given day as he is still adjusting to his new life here at WCDC."

Chlidonias likes this.
  12. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Have you seen a Striped Possum before?

13. WhistlingKite24

No, I've never seen one and they are one of my 'must see' native mammals. I will definitely try and get to show when I can.

Chlidonias likes this.
  14. WhistlingKite24

Another nice new addition for Walkabout Creek. Four Feathertail Gliders have arrived from Healesville Sanctuary. They are now on-show at the centre: Log into Facebook | Facebook

15. WhistlingKite24

A quick update on Walkabout Creek today from my visit which was overwhelmingly more positive than previous visits. I was thrilled to be able to see a Striped Possum for the first time during the wildlife show today. The keeper mentioned this was only the third time in six months the possum made a public appearance so I was extremely lucky! As a wild rescue, he has taken a while to adjust to humans and has permanent spinal injuries. What an incredible creature with such distinct markings. Amazing to appreciate him up close. A few other newsy bits and pieces:

• a young female Lumholtz’s Tree-kangaroo is arriving in a few months. She was found completely habituated to humans and will potentially be used for visitor encounters. Her exhibit is essentially the larger portion of the existing wombat enclosure and is almost complete.
    • a few of the newer arrivals were very visible. The Feathertail Gliders are housed next to the large python where the Major Skinks were and the Mary River Cod finally made an appearance. Pacific Blue-eyes are now on-show as well with the Olive Perchlets.
    • the enclosures for the Green Tree Python and Jungle Carpet Python are currently closed for renovations. A new juvenile Saltwater Crocodile has arrived and is now on-show.
    Main highlight:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Mar 2022
  16. WhistlingKite24

A few additional points I missed or clarified with the centre after my visit:
    • the centre are currently rearranging exhibits. The tank with the frogs and Boyd's Forest Dragon (former Red-bellied Black Snake exhibit) will now be converted for the Major Skinks and Eastern Blue-tongue. The exhibits for the Jungle Carpet Python and Green Tree Python will have the divider removed and be the new larger home for the frogs and dragon.
    • today, keepers worked on adding new backdrops for the the entry enclosures including for the Coastal Carpet Python, Spotted Python, Central Bearded Dragon and Feathertail Gliders to reflect the Queensland national parks they can be found in.
    • there are also now some Long-clawed Freshwater Prawns in some of the freshwater fish tanks. Apparently the centre has several different species so I'll keep a closer eye out for them on my next visit.
    • the wildlife discovery show was really well done. Whilst the Striped Possum was the highlight, the presentation had a good range of reptiles include a free-ranging Boyd's Forest Dragon that sat on a perch for the entirety of the presentation. I was interested to learn about some of the stories behind their animals. For example, the centre's Shingleback and Eastern Blue-tongue were confiscations; they were found at the border hidden in rice cookers destined for the US pet trade.

Chlidonias likes this.
  17. WhistlingKite24

A few pieces of news confirmed through email as Walkabout Creek's pleasing developments and diversification continue:
    • their first ever Lumholtz's Tree-Kangaroo arrived last week on Thursday just in time for World Tree Kangaroo Day. She is a female that came from the tree roo rescue centre up north. This also means members of the public will be able to see a tree kangaroo within the city of Brisbane rather than travelling to either the Sunshine or Gold Coast.
    • the centre has recently acquired some leaf-tailed geckos to go in where the tropical pythons used to be. They are still in quarantine but are yet another excellent addition.

18. WhistlingKite24

A few updates from today’s visit to Walkabout Creek. A full species list will be posted soon but I just need to double check some fish first:
    • a Cunningham’s Skink is now in the former Central Bearded Dragon enclosure. Australian Leaf Insect are also now in the small tank on the reception desk.
    • the small native fish tank has some stunning Ornate Rainbowfish Rhadinocentrus ornatus and Southern Purple-spotted Gudgeon Mogurnda adspersa now. It was interesting to compare both species of rainbowfish that are native to Brisbane in the one tank.
    • two Swamp Wallabies have recently arrived. There are plans to add more macropods once fencing is complete near one part of the perimeter. The echidna and new tree-kangaroo were both very visible today.

animal_expert01 and Zorro like this.
  19. WhistlingKite24

A quick visit to Walkabout Creek Wildlife Centre following a very successful morning of birding in the adjacent national park:
    • the occupants in the first former platypus exhibit – Saw-shelled Turtle, Krefft’s Turtle, Bony Bream and Crimson-spotted Rainbowfish - have all been moved into the second former platypus exhibit which has the Queensland Lungfish, Spangled Perch and more rainbowfish. This provides the turtles with a greater land and water area so it’s a smart move. Their former exhibit however has been replaced with a rubbish display filled with junk attempting to educate visitors on pollution. While I can understand the potential reasoning behind this exhibit conversion (enclosure creates a bottleneck, awkward position and viewing, desire for quick impactful messaging), I wasn’t really a fan considering how valuable display space is for a small facility like Walkabout Creek.
    • the two exhibits that are under renovation – the former Jungle Carpet Python/Green Tree Python and Pink-tongued Lizard enclosures – now have some new branches and plants in preparation of the new occupants: Reptile Enclosures (under renovation) - ZooChat
    • a second Emu recently arrived and is currently being housed in a fenced off-area.

20. WhistlingKite24

A few updates from today's brief visit following a few hours of birding in the national park. The Lumholtz's Tree-Kangaroo and Common Wombat were very active which were highlights:
    • No more feathertail gliders so it seems. A Central Bearded Dragon has moved into that exhibit.
    • two species of leaf-tailed gecko are now on-display; a Southern Leaf-tailed Gecko Saltuarius swaini is in a small tank in the reception area where you pay admission and two tanks for Northern Leaf-tailed Geckoes Saltuarius cornutus near the tree-frog/forest dragon have opened with new backdrops and furnishings. They looked fantastic. Great additions.
    • Cane-Grass Dragon Diporiphora winneckei is a recent addition for the facility and is on-show in the first tank down the set of stairs. The hopping-mice now have moved into the former dunnart enclosure.

Osedax, Zorro and akasha like this.