Join our zoo community

Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre Walkabout Creek species list, October 2019

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chlidonias, 27 Oct 2019.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

The Walkabout Creek Wildlife Centre is a small wildlife display at the Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre, next to the Enoggera Reservoir at the D'Aguilar National Park (formerly Brisbane Forest Park). I knew of the centre's existence but I didn't realise it was at this location, so when I went to the reservoir to look for birds it was a nice surprise. Entry is only AU$7.80 and access is easy by public transport (the number 385 bus from central Brisbane has its last stop about five minutes walk from the centre).

Most of the animals are kept in tanks within a winding mock-rock-walled corridor, apart for at the end where there is a walk-through kangaroo enclosure (and then you return the way you came through the indoor section).

There is an earlier species list from June 2018 here (Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre Species List- 25/6/18 [Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre]) with some additional discussion about how the diversity has decreased substantially from earlier days (e.g. many birds and small marsupials having formerly been kept here). There have been a few changes since that species list also. As it stands now, and it being the first time I have visited (so having no prior influences), I liked the wildlife centre. There were some nice species there (especially in the smaller fish), the tank set-ups were pleasant, and the staff were friendly. On the downside, all the signage is of the electronic display type - several signs were no longer functioning, as is often the case when collections use this manner of display.

Species list in order of visit:

Tank one:
    Coastal Carpet Python (Morelia spilota mcdowelli)

Tank two:
    Eastern Bearded Dragon (Pogona barbata)
    Eastern Blue-tongue Skink (Tiliqua scincoides)
    Major Skink (Bellatorias frerei) (not on the signage)

Tank three:
    Inland Bearded Dragon (Pogona vitticeps)

Tank four:
    Spotted Python (Antaresia maculosa)

Tank five:
    Central Netted Dragon (Ctenophorus nuchalis)

Tank six:
    Fat-tailed Dunnart (Sminthopsis crassicaudata) (formerly a tank for Woma Python (Aspidites ramsayi))

Tank seven:
    Platypus (Ornithorhynchus anatinus)

Tank eight (display signage not functioning):
    Brisbane River Turtle (Emydura krefftii (or macquarii) signata)
    Crimson-spotted Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia duboulayi)
    Fly-specked Hardyhead (Craterocephalus stercusmuscarum)
    Empire Gudgeon (Hypseleotris compressa)
    Fire-tailed Gudgeon (Hypseleotris galii)
    Western Carp Gudgeon (Hypseleotris klunzingeri)
    Purple-spotted Gudgeon (Mogurnda adspersa)
    ?Agassiz's Glassfish (Ambassis agassizii) - not entirely sure on this one, but it was an Ambassis at any rate

Tank nine:
    Sleepy Cod (Oxyeleotris lineolatus)
    Eel-tailed Catfish (Tandanus tandanus)

Tank ten:
    Australian Lungfish (Neoceratodus forsteri)
    Fork-tailed Catfish (Neoarius graeffei)
    Australian Bass (Macquaria novemaculeata)
    Barcoo Grunter (Scortum barcoo) (not on the signage)

Tank eleven:
    Saw-shelled Turtle (Myuchelys (Emydura) latisternum) (formerly a Platypus tank, with the signage still up for Platypus; the turtle itself was not signed as being there)

Tank twelve (no signage):
    Boyd's Forest Dragon (Hypsilurus boydii)
    Pink-tongued Skink (Cyclodomorphus gerrardii)

Tank thirteen (no signage):
    Jungle Carpet Python (Morelia spilota cheynei)

Tank fourteen (no signage):
    Red-tailed Black Snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus)

Tank fifteen (no signage):
    White-lipped Tree Frog (Litoria infrafrenatus)
    Green Tree Frog (Litoria caerulea)

Tank sixteen:
    Saltwater Crocodile (Crocodylus porosus) (juveniles)
    Macquarie River Turtle (Emydura macquarii)
    Jungle Perch (Kuhlia rupestris)
    Spangled Perch (Leiopotherapon unicolor) (not on the signage)

Outside walkthrough enclosure:

*Common Wombat (Vombatus ursinus) - a separated area [i.e. not walk-through] but as there was upcoming construction work the wombat had been moved to another facility to avoid stress and hence was not present on my visit.

*Red-legged Pademelons (Thylogale stigmatica) not present - the enclosure to the right of the wombat enclosure was formerly for these, going by photos in the gallery, but there was no signage and no inhabitants (I actually thought it was part of, or a second, wombat enclosure). I don't think they have been here for a while.

*Eastern Grey Kangaroo (Macropus gigas)
    *Whiptail Wallaby (Macropus parryi)

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I have just uploaded photos from this visit - every terrarium and aquarium is now in the gallery, in the order you see them (i.e. as in the list above): Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre - ZooChat

There are a few photos of individual animals as well, but as the light levels were relatively low and I didn't like to use my flash on them, there are only a few and only of the animals which were sitting in better-lit positions.