Join our zoo community

Walker's Mammals of the World

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Giant Eland, 29 May 2018.

1. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ashanti and Tim May like this.
  2. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for this. The 6th edition came out in 1999 and was followed by smaller paperback editions of certain groups. I didn't think there would be a 7th edition.

JVM likes this.
  3. Giant Eland

Funny I wasn't really aware of the paperback editions. How much new information/photographs are featured in those compared to the 6th edition, if you know?

4. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think the main difference is in the introductory chapter. The text and photos related to the families and genera are the same as in the 6th edition.
    The titles are as follows:
    Walker's Bats of the World (1p on Amazon)
    Walker's Carnivores of the World
    Walker's Marine Mammals of the World (1p on Amazon)
    Walker's Marsupials of the World
    Walker's Primates of the World (1p on Amazon)
    Amazon is also offering the 1st Volume of the 7th edition of Walker's Mammals of the World for £74. I hope that the arrangement is similar to the previous 6 editions. I prefer to see all the information about genera together, rather than having only basic information with other data dotted among the 'family' chapter' as in the Handbook.

5. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

"Walker's Mammals of the World" was my favourite mammalian reference work for many years; I have copies of the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th editions.

In recent years it has really been superseded by "Handbook of the Mammals of the World" so didn't expect a 7th edition of "Walker" to be published; I'm very pleased to learn that a new edition is coming though.

6. Kevin

Kevin Member

The new volume is very well done. Almost all genera have at least one colour photograph. The preface says "Updated volumes covering the other orders may be issued in the future.
    I certainly hope so.

7. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi, maybe you can help.

What groups are covered?

What it offers more compared to Handbook of the Mammals of the World?

I remember that old Walker's covered very well historic (and often prehistoric) mammals and their distribution, which was often much more extensive than today. Is it still the case?

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

9. Kevin

Kevin Member

Hi Jurek,
    I will post a review later this week after I have read it properly.

10. Kevin

Kevin Member

11. Kevin

Kevin Member

Hi Jurek,sorry for the delay.
    The groups covered are Monotremes, marsupials, Tenrecs and Golden moles, Sengis, aardvark, hyraxes, elephants,sirenians, armadillos, anteaters, sloths, tree shrews and colugos.
    Compared to previous editions the print size is larger and the photos also are larger and mostly in colour. The photos are very well chosen.
    Extinct groups and genera are well covered usually with a colour painting and full description of their former range and appearance.
    I really like this book and very much hope that further volumes will be published.

12. Chlidonias

The new book is already viewable on Google Books.

13. Chlidonias

I just got my copy of this book today. I haven't read it yet obviously (it's c.900 pages) but I have looked through at all the photos. I was amazed how small some of the tenrecs are (in the hand in several photos, which gives the scale of them) - I had always sort of imagined that "shrew-tenrec" was more to do with their general lifestyle than a comment on their size, which is tiny.

"Some"? :D It seemed like I could open at any random page and there would be one of your photos on it! Have you done a count? I reckon it would be between a quarter and a fifth of all the photos. I saw a photo by Jonas Livet too, and there are two of mine in there. Would likely be at least a couple of other Zoochatters I guess.

Giant Eland and Brum like this.
  14. Giant Eland

Thank you @Chlidonias for the kind words! Being published in this newest edition meant so much to me as Walker's was my absolute favorite set of books growing up. Having my photos used in a hypothetical future volume was something I always aspired to, even attempting to mimic the photographic style featured in the existing volumes. The last count I was told by the editor was 48 photos, not sure if that is in fact the final count in the book though.