Join our zoo community

Website for collections

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by adrian1963, 7 May 2010.

1. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

I was just wondering if anyone knows of anywebsites that have the full list of private collections and what they hold

any help of any kind would be great

many thanks
    Adrian

2. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Without being sarcastic, I think the clue to your answer lies in the term "private collections.

There's many a reason whilst someone holding exotics would not want the public to know where they are and what they hold (security & fear of theft probably being the main one).

That said, you would be able to get a partial view through the onerous process of writing to all the local authorities (individually!) and asking them, under Freedom of Information rules, to tell you what animals are held under DWA licences in their area. This would not tell you specifically where they were held or given you any information on non-DWA mammals held privately (e.g. Civets, Armadillos, Marmorsets, Tamarins, etc.). Additionally, information re most herps and birds would not be easily obtainable.

Some people tried to establish a database of privately held animals many years ago, through International Zoo News (probably amongst other places) but I don't think it was successful).

There's also probably an issue around the definition of "collection" -does someone with 8 Pythons and a Gambian Pouched Rat count for instance?

By the way, if you ever get the information, I'd be interested to know.

Last edited: 7 May 2010
  3. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Shorts many thanks for your reply and no I haven't taken what you said as being sarcastic at all I was just hoping against hope that someone may know of a website.

4. kbaker116

kbaker116 Well-Known Member

I know of a few in the United States if you are interested, but I would understand if you aren't.