Join our zoo community

Welcome to the new ZooChat

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Simon Hampel, 21 Oct 2016.

1. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I'm probably just being stupid and missing something really obvious, but where's this?

2. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Click the arrow on the Members tab on the top and you should see it

3. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Thanks. I just found a thread saying this, so I probably should have checked for that first. :oops:

4. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for the direction. I still swear when I'd previously posted, that button was not there, but I see it fine now, so no reason to complain?

Thank you again.

5. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Being a bit of a technophobe, I'm still struggling a bit to find my way around. I miss the feature that used to be on the Home Page - it listed the most popular (I think that was the term) country forums, with the UK being at the top.You could also click on the galleries. Now, unless there's something I haven't found, we have to scroll down a long list of European countries to reach the UK. Trivial maybe, but I find it a tad irksome on whatever site I'm using, although some sites catering more for the UK do put it at the top of the list. Australians might not appreciate this point ;)

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Yes, that is on my todo list to reproduce a new version of that front page - I just ran out of time to get it built before my relaunch target.

There is a reason that Oceania is the first region in the list though :p

(Although it is mostly for historical reasons which you can see from the happy birthday thread where I show screenshots of earlier versions of the site :D )

7. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

It quite possibly was, I never paid much attention to where it came from. I don't even remember the last time I saw it there, but then I noticed it was gone. It was a good place to find zoo news if you didn't live in the area or follow that particular zoo on social media. Bummer it was shut down.

8. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Simon, I'd just like to echo all the comments thanking for the hard work; running a forum is never easy and the pressure of rebuilding one is never to be underestimated.

Two suggestions from me; can you add a method to link from a discussion forum directly to the gallery for that particular collection, and vice versa? That was a really handy function. Secondly, is there a way to display gallery thumbnails in their original aspect ratio? The square crops are really spoiling some of the images.

Thank you!

karoocheetah likes this.
  9. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am very glad that my friend SMR has posted this request, because I was just about to do the same thing :) I agree with every word he has written, and I would also like to thank you for amending the rating system after my previous request.

karoocheetah likes this.
  10. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

Wow the overhauled site looks amazing - love the new layout and functionality :) well done all admin & Sims - onwards and upwards as they say!

11. dinosaur50

dinosaur50 Well-Known Member

great job i wish we had a chat room where did it go now

12. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

13. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

And is there a way, or somewhere in preferences, that we can have moe than just 12 thumbnails per page? And more than 20 posts per page (I used to have it set at 40)? It would save time for those of us with dodgy (=slow) internet connections.

:p

Hix

14. dinosaur50

dinosaur50 Well-Known Member

sim you do great work ty for all you do

15. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

Wow! It looks amazing. Haven't been on in a while, can't wait to get using it again

16. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I didn't know about the site overhaul. Work has been so crazy busy I've had no time to get on the site. It's nice to be back.

17. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know if we're able to delete media that we have posted? I can't find anything that shows me the option to delete a picture, although to be honest I'm not sure if one could do that on the old site either.

Also, there seems to be a restriction on editing posts: are edits restricted by time elapsed since posting, by number of edits, or by something else? I noticed this when posting a list that I intended to continually update, but it seems that keeping living posts like that is no longer an option.

18. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

At the top of the page on the media icon there is a little red box with numbers in it, what is that?, it's starting to bug me haha?
    I too miss the gallery comments page, but the new site is spectacular and looks great, use of it will soon be second nature.

19. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That box states the number of media you haven't read- like mine says 879 right now which means I haven't looked at 879 pictures

kiang likes this.
  20. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

You were never able to delete pictures, although the Mods have that ability.

As for editing, on the old site you had 24 hours to edit your posts. Again, this does not apply to the Mods.

:p

Hix