Join our zoo community

Weltvogelpark Walsrode Weltvogelpark Walsrode news 2016

Discussion in 'Germany' started by vogelcommando, 21 Jan 2016.

1. Joker1706

Joker1706 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@ Tea Loving Dave :

I visited the park in July together with my friend Marty in my De Lorean :)

No, it was April (I was still impressed by the birds).

The Greater BoP was on Display (check the Gallery), instead of the Raggi, which wasn´t displayed this season.

@ Laughing dove :

The nocturnal house Shows only a pair of Kiwis, with some small aviaries around it.

2. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information.
    Do you recall what has replaced the Kiwis in their former enclosure in the Hummingbird House?

3. Joker1706

There´s no replacement for the Kiwis in the Colibri House yet, their old enclosure is empty at the Moment.

4. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is there any more chance to actually see the kiwi?

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Pity, considering the fact that - to the best of my knowledge - they still have Twelve-Wired displayed in multiple enclosures across the collection, and King displayed in two exhibits in the "Bird of Paradise" area.

Still, Greater is just as much a lifer as Raggi's would have been, so I cannot complain.

6. Joker1706

@ Mr. Zootycoon :

The Kiwis are still on Display (1,1) but moved from the Colibri house into their own nocturnal house.

7. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I think what Zootycoon meant was that in their old enclosure they were extremely difficult to see, and even when seen, gave a terrible view through tiny little viewing windows.

8. threeple61

threeple61 Well-Known Member

Yellow-breasted and Black-chinned fruit-dove are also on display!

9. Joker1706

Oh, okay... Sorry for the confusion I caused...

The new Kiwi enclosure should be better for us than the old one, it´s just like lots of nocturnal houses I know (like the Kiwi enclosure in Frankfurt´s Grzimek house) with a big Display window.

Both birds were active and visible during my visit.

10. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks! I planned to visit the park soon and I really hope I can see a kiwi.

11. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Steller's sea eagles have a chick :).

12. vogelcommando

Other breeding-results sofar this year :
    Humboldt penguin
    Crested caracara
    Milky eagle owl
    Kagu ( 1 female )

13. vogelcommando

One of the Bald eagles which are used in the bird-show escaped 3 days ago and the public was asked to have a look afther this bird. This didn't help but the bird returned by herself today :).

14. vogelcommando

2016 breeding-results :
    Toco toucan
    Channel-billed toucan
    Brown-eared aracari
    Green aracari
    Black-throated aracari
    Golden-headed quetzalt
    Blue coua
    Madagascar maned ibis
    Red-billed curassow ( 2 )
    European griffon vulture ( 2 )
    Secretary bird
    Andean condor

15. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Fantastic achievements, especially for golden-headed quetzal (only two holding zoos in Europe, the other in Italy - if they ever bred this species?), for the blue coua and for the red-billed curassow.
    Seems that there is a strong focus toward achieving breeding successes for Ramphastidae.

16. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Sorry for using an old thread but ZTL just put King BOP on their current holdings for Walsrode. Is this a mistake?

17. TeaLovingDave

That listing has been on ZTL for years,and the King BoP in question have been held at Walsrode for years :p saw them in June 2016 myself.

18. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Wow thank you is it also true that kiev has Wilson's bird of paradise,

19. TeaLovingDave

It is, a new arrival in 2016.

20. ronnienl

ronnienl Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I spent a day visiting Walsrode Weltvogelpark two days ago, which I have also visited last year. I would like to share some thoughts and observation of this wonderful park with you all.

- The Fasanery is a beautiful part of the park, with many interesting species from all over the world. Though it was drizzling, all species were visible bar the White woodpecker and the Sickle-billed vanga (which I had already spotted last year). The Javan rhinoceros hornbills and Papuan hornbills are now behind the scenes unfortunately, and are replaced by Guianan cock-of-the-rocks and Golden-headed quetzals. Some of the highlights were the guans, hornbills and toucans.

- In the Paradies-halle, the aviary containing bee-eaters (themselves gone) has been taken over by a multitude of other species. spangled contigas, woodswallows, pigeons and pittas were now in this aviary. I counted at least four quetzals across all aviaries. New here were the African pygmy-falcon and the Green-backed heron. A real classic part of the vogelpark, with many interesting species.

- Species line-up in the Parrothouse is unchanged from previous year. Two outside aviaries on the outside of the building held Hyacinth macaw. Spix of Lear’s macaw would be very fitting for one of these aviaries . Furthermore, this was the first time I have seen a kea sleeping.

- The behind the scenes ally had many duplicate species on show. Though I can never get enough of seeing a Kagu, some of the more casual zoo visitors might find this a nuisance. The Black-fronted piping-guan, Yellow-crowned gonolek and Pale-winged trumpeter were the only non-duplicate species. Horned screamers are still visible from here, as well as 10+ toco-toucans and a second pair of Black-casqued hornbill in a breeding house on the other side of the path.

- The Parrot aviaries had many different species of parrots on display. The horned parakeet and the Slender-billed conures were the highlights of these aviaries. The newly added curl-crested aracari was a no show unfortunately. The solitary tinamous were incubating two green eggs.

- The Lori-atrium keeps more than 15 different kinds of lories. It was very quiet when is visited, the opposite of the visit from previous year when there were lots of vocal noises. The Greater roadrunners have a new desert enclosure in this building. Some of the other notable species here were courting Chestnut-backed scimitar babblers, green aracaries and Yellow-breasted fruit-dove.

- The oropendolas are still only visible from the restaurant. People eating there were giving an awkward look when me and my father went in there to photograph these beautiful birds.

- The jungle trail (used to be the Regenwaldhalle) boasts many south American species in the aviaries, while the free flying were south east Asian. Capuchinbirds were in three aviaries, while the storm’s storks were behind the scenes. There were to many emerald pigeons and too few of the other species flying around in this hall!

- The kolibri-house was really quiet, as I visited during the second flugshow. All the aviaries had hummingbirds in them, and especially the Green-tailed Trainbearer was very active. Lightning was greatly improved for photography since last year. The foggers were on, and it was great to see the hummingbirds cleaning themselves.

- At the Raptor aviaries, the caracaras have disappeared and are now only visible during the flugshow. A second harpy eagle is now on display in their aviary. This seems to be a smaller individual, possibly a male. Hopefully this will lead to breeding of this impressive species.

- At the Freiflughalle the Kori bustard, although not on display, can be seen through the bushes on the right side, just before entering the wading bird part.

- I spotted all the species of Birds of paradise. Though I could not photograph the king bird of paradise, as it got spooked by some children. Mating calls could be heard coming from the breeding center behind the aviaries. These birds were one of the highlights of the day.

- The new Flugshow is a vast improvement from the one previous year. The new television screen and new species made it a delight. Is was cool seeing the Kagu and Grey-winged trumpeter during the show.

Overall, it was another great visit. The park like setting of the vogelpark, with its many trees and flower beds, make it nice to stroll around the whole day. I certainly wish to visit it again in the years to come!

Joker1706, Merintia, Brum and 5 others like this.