Join our zoo community

Werribee Open Range Zoo Werribee Open Range Zoo News 2022

Discussion in 'Australia' started by WhistlingKite24, 14 Jan 2022.

1. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The lower savannah will definitely have been evacuated. I'm not sure about some of the larger animals though like the giraffes. They're not crate trained, so would be hard to move...most of the others will have probably been moved to the upper savannah.

The Waterhole also comes to mind as an affected area. Not sure if Werribee controls draining it; but if not, the whole paddock, alongside the neighbouring enclosure for the Wild Dogs, may also be affected.

There's also the issue of the hippos.Hippo's have escaped due to rising flood waters in the past and although I don't think it's at that level at the moment, they'll have to be wary.

I doubt the bus tours will be running atm.

StoppableSan and Swanson02 like this.
  2. Jambo

Here's a video I found of rhinos being led to the upper savannah (via the bus road) during a flood back in 2017.

They're trained for it, and I imagine all of the lower savannah species will have been evacuated there. Most were likely bribed with food imo.

Trained rhinos come when called to escape flood

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Eight Plains wanderer chicks have hatched:

Rare bird chicks mark milestone at Vic zoo

Werribee Open Range Zoo has successfully bred a total of 36 plains-wanderers since the Zoo's threatened species facility opened in 2017, and it is hoped more will be born during this 2022-23 breeding season.

boof, Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  4. Jambo

Werribee have recently sent their Zebra stallion, Melako, to Mogo.

He's been replaced by new stallion, Atero, not sure of his origins though. Will contact Werribee to try and find out.

5. Jambo

Confirmation via email- Atreyu is nine years old and was born at Werribee on November 30th 2012, and was hand raised by Werribee keepers. He's the offspring of Christou and Kitale.

The swap between him and Melako makes little to no sense, considering they're half siblings. Hopefully he won't be bred with his nieces; the region's population's inbred but dosen't necessarily need to be to that extent.