Join our zoo community

Werribee Open Range Zoo Werribee Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'Australia' started by BennettL, 2 Jan 2017.

1. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

Tulip the hippo turned 14 on the 2cd of Jan.

BennettL

2. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

3. BennettL

4. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It'll be interesting to see how the introductions go. It's great to hear how well the cubs are progressing and I'm pleased Werribee are making use of both lionesses for breeding. Four more great grand cubs for Kura.

From my personal observations, male lions seem to experience consistency in the gender of their offspring, same sex or split gender across litters (although there are of course exceptions) so I'm guessing four males. It'd be nice for the pride to expand so at least one female cub would be nice as males will likely be exported as they mature.

5. BennettL

If four males this will leave Werribee in a bit of trouble.This means they'll have seven males including Nilo's 2015 litter of all boys.I think with one male Harare,16 remaining at Melbourne Kubwa,Kashka and Kito could be a perfect fit but it would still leave Werribee with four males.I think that the new cubs will be split gender.

BennettL

6. Zoofan15

I guess we'll have to wait and see how Harare's death (and the now vacant enclosure at Melbourne Zoo) influences these two litters of cubs. It could prevent or necessitate and introduction between the two litters depending on the gender of these latest cubs.

7. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. Zoofan15

Just as I, and many others predicted...

In other news, the second litter of cubs, born to Nairibi in December, have been sexed as two males and two females:

Lion cubs receive first check-up | Zoos Victoria

The cubs will be introduced to the three adolescent males before they leave for Melbourne later this year.

9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I couldn't understand the point of this if the older ones are leaving.

10. Zoofan15

Me neither, it seems like an unnecessary risk to me. The only reason I can think of is if they were intending for the two 2016 male cubs to create a bachelor pride five males with the 2015 litter, but this is apparently not to be the case as the adolescents are leaving later this year.

Werribee Open Range Zoo have stated it'll give the adolescents experience with younger pride mates, and that the three young males may go on to lead prides of their own. In reality, I think they will remain as a bachelor pride for the rest of their days at Melbourne Zoo.

The opportunity to go into a breeding pride seems to be more commonly given to males that are the only male in a litter (or one of two that can co-lead a male-female pride). The single male cub in the recent litter at TWPZ and the two males in the WORZ 2016 litter fit the bill and are more likely candidates for future breeding in my opinion.

11. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would think so too. Also, if any of the three males were ever to leave and join breeding groups as mature males, any association with 'younger pride mates' would have been so long ago as to be irrelevant. Waste of time IMO.

12. Nisha

Not necessarily - wait a couple of years, import female or females, leave one at Melbourne. Transfer the other males to Perth/Auckland or anywhere else thats looking to form a new group by then. The Werribee cubs are valuable to the region because of there mothers being unrelated to the rest of Australian and New Zealand Lion stock (both imported from Givskud originally)

13. Zoofan15

True, but through their paternal line (Johari), they are related to multiple lions across the region as most of the lions in accredited Australasian Zoos descend from Kura (1998) at Auckland Zoo.

The 2016 litter (born to Nairibi) are of similar genetic value to the 2015 litter (born to Nilo) are due to the 2016 litter containing only two males, are most likely going to be given preference to going into a breeding situation rather than three males.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2017
  14. Zoofan15

The latest litter went on display today:

Australia's youngest lion cubs on show

They will be named by long time members of Zoos Victoria. Hopefully they will choose something tasteful....

Australia is certainly experiencing a baby boom of African lions, with 14 cubs born in the last 18 months (7 at TWPZ and 7 at WORZ). Much needed with the many age and ill health related deaths of lions in the region recently, and with so many zoos holding aging prides (Auckland, Wellington, Adelaide, Perth).

15. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zoofan15 likes this.
  16. Zoofan15

Great photos! I'm sure the Werribee Open Range Zoo are stoked to have the two female cubs as there's a high chance they'll remain with the pride, at least for a few years. Johari (2003) is not a young male at almost 14 so it's highly likely the intention will be to bring in a new male to breed with his daughters upon his eventual passing as they'll still be of reproductive age.

Does anyone know the capacity at Werribee for lions? I'm guessing it's large considering it's status as an open range zoo?

17. Nisha

18. Zoofan15

Good names, especially Ndidi which I haven't heard before. I'm surprised however they haven't stuck with their usual convention of calling the cubs names starting with the same letter. When the 2015 litter were all named names beginning with K, they stated it was a tradition there with half sisters, Nilo and Nairibi both having N names and brothers, Tonyi and Tombo having T names.

I'm guessing the female cubs Kibibi and Azizia will be staying with the pride upon maturity. Their father, Johari, is 14 this year so there will likely be a change of breeding male (upon Johari's death) during their reproductive lifetime (2018-2028).

19. Zoofan15

Meerkat Pups

Meerkat pups at Werribee Open Range Zoo | Zoos Victoria

There are some new faces in the Meerkat mob at Werribee Open Range Zoo, with two Meerkat pups born to experienced mum, Akili on Saturday 11 March.

Meerkats are born with their eyes and ears closed and are therefore quite vulnerable as newborns. The youngsters spend the first few weeks of life in their burrow, completely dependent on the adults while their hearing and eyesight develops.

Zoo Keeper Paul Rushworth said mum Akili and the pups are doing well, although it would still be another few weeks before the team was able to determine the sex of the pups while the family is bonding.

At almost four weeks of age the new arrivals are becoming more confident and curious, starting to spend more time outside of their burrow exploring the environment around them.

The pups are growing stronger each day and Akili is receiving a lot of support from the rest of the Meerkat mob. Adult Meerkats work together as a team, with each taking turns as sentry to feed and watch over the young.

This is known as alloparenting, a system in which adults other than the parents take part in raising, teaching and caring for the youngsters.

The pups are continuing to become more mobile as the weeks pass and have often been spotted warming themselves in the sun and playing together in the sand, but never too far from their burrow or caregiver.
    Keeper Paul said the older individuals were adapting their routines to care for the new youngsters.

“As in any household with a newborn, there wasn’t much sleep in the burrow during the first few nights as the group adjusted their sleeping, eating and sentry schedules to include caring for youngsters,” he said.

“As milestones occur, such as eyes and ears opening, the group is becoming more relaxed. Akili is an experienced mum, so she knows how to quickly perfect the multitasking skill of nursing and napping at the same time!”

Meerkats are native to arid areas of Angola, Namibia, South Africa, and Botswana

20. Zoofan15

Plains Zebra foal born to Zaide in April:

Zebra foal Ziwa dazzling at Werribee Open Range Zoo | Zoos Victoria

Keepers are celebrating the birth of a healthy Zebra foal at Werribee Open Range Zoo just in time for Mother’s Day.

The female foal was born early in the morning of Friday 28 April to first time mum Zaide and keepers are delighted with how they are progressing.

The Plains Zebra foal has been named Ziwa by her keepers after a Rhino and Wildlife Conservancy in Uganda. Ziwa is the first Zebra born at Werribee Open Range Zoo since 2012.

Zebra foals typically weigh between 20-30 kilograms at birth and the foal is doing well under the watchful eye of mum. This is Zaide’s first foal and her keepers report that she has been the perfect mother.

Zebra are very protective of their young and she is keeping a close eye on Ziwa and making sure she does not stray too far from the herd.

While Plains Zebra are doing well in the wild, their cousins the Grevy's Zebra are on the brink of extinction with only an estimated 2000 left in the wild. Zoos Victoria's community conservation program 'Beads for Wildlife' aims to help provide a stable income for women in Northern Kenya, reducing the community’s reliance on domestic livestock which competes with zebras and other wildlife for natural resources.

Visitors can see Ziwa every day on safari at Werribee Open Range Zoo.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.