Join our zoo community

West Edmonton Mall West Edmonton Mall News

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Hyak_II, 25 Dec 2014.

1. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As a fine gift for Christmas, the mall has announced the hatching of an endangered African Black Footed Penguin chick.

This chick is quite the achievement for the mall for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it is the first penguin chick to hatch at the mall in over 6 years. As well, it is also the first second generation mall born bird, as its father, Bam Bam, was born at West Edmonton Mall as well. Finally, it has also been completely parent raised, which is quite the achievement in its self for these first time parents !

See here for some more info on the chick and for a video.

2. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

I've never really wanted to go to the West Edmonton Mall, but now I do. I understand that the place is large enough to wander around in for days, how much of the mall does the zoo/aquarium/whatever they call it take up?

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

There is a sea lion pool outside the underground aquarium (Sea Life Caverns) but the aquarium itself can easily be seen in 30 minutes or less. It is very tiny and only a miniscule portion of the huge shopping mall.

4. Hyak_II

What Snowleopard said. The on display aquarium portion is roughly 80-100 feet long and ~15-20 feet wide.

There is a MASSIVE set of aquariums that circles around the lake, but sadly when the submarine ride was decommissioned in 2005, the oppertunity to view them was eliminated :(

5. Hyak_II

Very sad news, California Sea Lion, Kelpie, has passed away at the mall at the age of 28.

See more at the link here.

Rest easy, sweet girl :(