Join our zoo community

Western ground parrot breeding programm

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by vogelcommando, 6 Jan 2018.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jan 2018
  2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I have fixed the link for one which works :)

3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You have to sign in to that website, though.

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Hmm.... that is odd - when I initially clicked on the link I didn't have to, but now I do; they must have anti-hyperlinking measures.

However, I can still access the page in my internet history, so can replicate the text of the report below:

Plans to save a critically endangered parrot from extinction are under scrutiny following the revelation that most birds caught in the wild for a captive-breeding program are dying in aviaries.

Eight of 12 western ground parrots captured in Cape Arid National Park in Western Australia for the program have died.

Attempts to breed the species in aviaries at Perth Zoo have failed, with no successful hatchings over four nesting seasons.

Captive-breeding programs are a key strategy to try to bring endangered species in Australia back from the brink of extinction. Birds are caught with the intention of breeding them in aviaries so offspring can be liberated to boost wild populations.

The fate of the Perth Zoo program and failed attempts to rejuvenate another endangered species — the orange-bellied parrot in Tasmania — have cast a shadow over the plans, with indications that in some cases captive-breeding may be hastening instead of preventing extinction.

Just 140 western ground parrots survive in the wild. Almost 10 per cent of the population has been caught in nets for the Perth Zoo program, which began in 2014. Six of the eight dead parrots succumbed to respiratory infections. One died of injuries sustained during capture and another was egg bound. Zoologist Mark Holdsworth, closely involved with both projects, said the western ground parrots had died of causes related to captivity, and that captive-bred birds struggled to survive in the wild.

Kifaru Bwana and vogelcommando like this.
  5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you TLD, I had the same problem. First I was able to read the article but after I posted the link, it didn't work.

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Links for The Australian always do that. You can read the page the first time you open it yourself, but then as a link they just go a subscription page.