Join our zoo community

Wet weather (what do you do?)

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by AdrianW1963, 11 Jun 2019.

1. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As it's been raining all day I was wondering what people do on a wet day either at home or on a visit to a zoological collection or just a day out?

I just stay in and work on the computer cleaning the house and caring for my mom if I do plan to go out to a zoological collection before hand and the weather turns bad that morning I always make sure that the collection as quite a few indoor exhibits.
    I love to go birding on rainy days as you never know what will drop in the places I love to go to are Rutland water (Egleton/Lyndon reserves) & Upton warren nature reserve (Wychbold) are my favourite reserves as both have hides in easy reach of each other.

2. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When I went to Vincennes it rained solidly all day. I spent the morning in the tropical house hoping it would clear up but out didn't so I had to go out and get wet.
    I don't mind showers at a zoo, often after a heavy shower the animals seem more active but persistent rain all day, they're not much you can do.

3. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I like to retreat into the basement of my room to play video games. I also like to watch TV.

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Rainy days are the best time to visit a zoo. There are no crowds, some animals are more active, and the soft light is ideal for photography (assuming you have a camera rain cover, which I do). It rains so infrequently in the desert where I live that it is always a treat if it happens to rain on my day off and I can visit one of our two zoos.

5. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Two zoos?

6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
    Reid Park Zoo

Ebirah766 likes this.
  7. junglejim

junglejim Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was went birding during unusual rainy snowy weather type day. Upon coming up to a bend in the road just about to walking right around corner there in front of me were more than 20 or more blue herons sitting in the trees across the pond!

8. junglejim

junglejim Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Best days hands down love it. Once went to Metroparks zoo with my Mom during mild winter day and observed a White-chinned Deer galloping around their enclosure. I told my mom there you go that's why I love animals.

9. Jambi

Jambi Well-Known Member

I'm not the type that prefers to stay in during wet weather, I still like to get outside and do something. I don't mind very light rain or drizzle, it's only much heavier rain, the kind of rain that soaks through a "waterproof", that I don't like.