Join our zoo community

Whale sharks in captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Tiger, 1 Sep 2021.

1. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

I don't know if there is already a thread for this, but I didn't find one immediately.
    Post news or information about captive whale sharks and lists of all captive whale sharks here:).

German Zoo World likes this.
  2. S U N N Y

S U N N Y Member

The only whale sharks in captivity outside if Asia are in the ocean voyeger at Georgia aquarium.

Tiger likes this.
  3. csartie

csartie Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd been planning to make a whale shark thread for the longest time and kept putting it off, now you've beat me to it! :D

There's at least 18-20 whale sharks in captivity currently:
    • Chimelong Ocean Kingdom - imported 4.4 (incl. 2.0 Dianjing and Tianyou, and 0.2 Lisha and Daianna), currently has ~6 give or take
    • Cube Oceanarium - 0.0.1
    • Georgia Aquarium - 2.0 (Taroko and Yushan)
    • Ioworld Kagoshima Aquarium - 1.0 (Yuuyuu X)
    • Notojima Aquarium - 2.0 (Suzubei and Nanabei)
    • Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium - 1.0 (Jinta - oldest whale shark ever held in captivity) + others likely held in their seapens.
    • Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan - 1.1 (1.0 Kai VIII and 0.1 Yuu IV) + 0.1.1 at their Iburi Center.
    • Yantai Haichang Whale Shark Ocean Park - 1.0
    A very large list of parks have had whale sharks at some point in the last 5 years alone but the above are the only parks I was able to find recent confirmation for.

I plan on emailing Churaumi about the sharks in their sea pens, they're typically very transparent and give in-depth responses to inquiries. :)

Canihelpyou?, evilmonkey239 and Tiger like this.
  4. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

Dubai Aquarium has previously kept the species, but they have since been released. Seen an image of a Whale Shark at Yokohama Hakkeijima Sea Paradise, I don't know whether or not they still have it.

5. csartie

Sea Paradise no longer houses whale sharks

DaLilFishie likes this.
  6. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

Wikipedia mentions several other facilities that have previously kept Whale Sharks, Kagoshima Aquarium, Kinosaki Marine World, Oita Ecological Aquarium, Aqua Planet Jeju, Dalian Aquarium, Guangzhou Aquarium, Qingdao Polar Ocean World, National Museum of Marine Biology and Aquarium and Thiruvananthapuram Aquarium.

7. csartie

Kagoshima still has a male, Yuuyuu X

Since we're talking former exhibitors, there's also Nanning Zoo, Grandview Aquarium, Boundary Island Ocean Theater, Taitung National Marine Life Exhibition Hall, Taitung Fisheries Research Institute, Penghu Aquarium, and Izu Mito Sea Paradise (the first facility to ever house a whale shark)

DaLilFishie likes this.
  8. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

Well... it's like the proverb: "The fastest wins':D:p.
    Thanks for this impressive list, although in the end it turns out that it's not quite right, but still handsome work:eek:.

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

It might be helpful to explain what you think is incorrect about the list, rather than just saying "in the end it turns out that it's not quite right".

csartie likes this.
  10. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

Well... I got a little confused. The post by @DaLilFishie listed some other zoos with whale sharks until I just rereaded the post and saw that they were former keepers:confused::oops:.