Join our zoo community

What animals have you been “ attacked” by

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Jake, 11 Jul 2018.

1. Emanuel Theodorus

Emanuel Theodorus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Bitten by my pet hedgehog before. It hurts like hell.

2. Gary

Gary Well-Known Member

Bitten by Old English Sheepdog (mine) as a teen, clawed and bitten by my 2 cats, butted by a pygmy goat, bitten by my hamster and rabbit as a kid and pecked by African Grey Parrot (my parents) and a cockatiel ( escapee I caught and rescued).

In my experience you get the bad with the good, most animals are as moody as people. 99 times out if 100 they'll be fine but you never know.

Only a couple of scars to show but plenty of blood lost!

Brum likes this.
  3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Your parents are African Gray Parrots!? How does that work?!

4. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

He meant that it was his parent's bird ;)

5. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well @Gary could be an African Grey Parrot, as after all, they are famous for talking.

6. Killer Guppy

Killer Guppy Active Member

Seagulls, bombarded me with their little “bombs”, does that count as an attack?

7. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

While I've never been full on "attacked" I have been bitten, rammed, and pooped on by various animals. Probably my most unusual attacker was a baby binturong a couple years back.

8. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

I've also been attacked by leeches in Madagascar, and a had serious nip from a vicious Ringtail. A bamboo lemur wasn't enthusiastic about having his belly rubbed either.

I do daily battle with a girl cat who thinks she's a full fledged panther.

9. ZooBinh

Why'd you try to rub a Bamboo Lemur's belly?

10. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I stepped on a dead blue crab at the beach once. Hurt. I also got stung by wasps on multiple occasions. The second time, I didn't even notice, and it was even bleeding. My brother got peed on by a guinea pig, I've been bit by my dog so many times it barely even hurts anymore. If I think of any more, I'll post here.

11. MurphyFox

MurphyFox Well-Known Member

I have been chased and approached by Canada Geese on two different occasions (once at Philly Zoo and once at park in Virginia) because they wanted to be fed.
    I was also charged by an Elk in Yellowstone

12. CarLover

CarLover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have been bitten by dogs, cats, rabbits, biting insects, and I have been stung by a wasp. My most interesting attack was by an azure-winged magpie. It pecked me in the back. It felt like someone poked me with a pencil.

13. Black Footed Beast

Black Footed Beast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Emus were biting me quite a bit when I went to Safari Lake Geneva

14. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

OMG I am not even going to start to describe the Canada geese in Toronto. They are so unafraid of humans, and are as powerful of swans, but also noisy. The worst thing is that they a natural poop machines though.

Apart from them, a few angry foxes, a dastardly pigeon and an angry tiger on the other side of a fence.

Although when I was 4 I got tackled to the ground by a cat in Cyprus, and it hurt but was kinda funny at the same time.

15. LowlandGorilla4

LowlandGorilla4 Well-Known Member

I got chased by a goat at this farm in Michigan, then that same goat (several years ago) dragged me by her leash for 20 feet. I got chased by an "aroused" donkey to. Man that was a fun summer. :D

Cassidy Casuar likes this.
  16. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Penguins.......I've probably said that before.......OK, more Penguins. Irritable cock pheasants of various species.

17. ZooBinh

This probably isn't rare at all, but dogs. Dogs. I can't say how many times I'll be walking around my neighborhood and someone will be walking their dogs, and all of a sudden their "sweet little honey booboo" turns into some demon that runs up and barks and tries to bite and bare it's teeth.

18. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

Apart from the usual suspects, (mosquitoes, a wasp, dogs and cats), I've had close calls with many territorial birds on occasion.

Red Wattlebirds and noisy miners have almost had my head, as have Australian Magpies but luckily ive gotten out of the way.

Although this dosent count as an attack a wild cockatoo at a restaurant in Lorne screeched in my ear. That was not fun at all.

When I was little (around 4 or 5) an injured duck (Can't remember if it was a mallard, a domestic or a pacific black duck) (It's leg had been mutilated by the aggresive domestic geese) at Fairfield boat house almost chopped my finger off as I was attempting to alert the people at the park as it had been injured. I learnt my lesson not to put my finger anywhere near a ducks mouth.

19. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Lots... but the most interesting attack experience and one of the most bizarre I can remember having was a baby spider monkey which in a tantrum yanked out quite a substantial chunk of my hair with it's tail. Quite painful too :confused:

20. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Beside the usual lapwings and magpies, the one that stands out for me was a Little Corella that latched onto my ear for about a minute at a local bird park. It drew blood and the bird managed to really dig into my ear. It took quite some effort for the keeper to get the bird to let go. The place I visited rescues a lot of parrots and cockatoos from traumatic backgrounds (some absolute horror stories - pet owners intentionally stepping on their parrots etc) so I certainly don't blame the bird.