Join our zoo community

What animals will you IMPORT if given chance?

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 6 Mar 2016.

1. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Nearly all of the species I chose are easy to care and for most of them, easy to breed in captivity. A lot of turtle and tortoise species from Asia actually have been imported by the Turtle Survival Alliance, thankfully.

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There are no Indochinese Tigers kept in the US or Europe, all animals previously/currently identified as such turned out to be Malayan.

I may be wrong, but last I heard (which I believe would have been on Nikola's other thread dedicated strictly to imported this species) the wild population has actually remained constant at around 60 individuals for quite some time, likely due to Ujung Kulon not being able to support a larger population. And while this is perhaps a good excuse to bring in the more elderly animals to test how they adapt to modern captive standards (which could benefit the wild population by leaving more resources to the younger breeding animals), such an undertaking would be very difficult and put a lot of stress on the population and the park. Any intervention might be better spent on creating better feeding habitat or transporting animals to a second location.

West African Giraffes could possibly benefit from a captive breeding program but it's quite difficult to transport giraffes and with so many surplus animals about most zoos wouldn't bother. Unfortunately, this is the reason why we're unlikely to see the rothschildiXreticulata population in the AZA die-out anytime soon. Giraffes are extremely popular and while the captive Masai population is doing fine here, it is kind of small at the moment which often leaves zoos with the hybrids as their only option. Personally I'd love to see either pure Reticulated or Baringo Giraffes be imported from the surplus populations in Europe but it'll probably never happen.

On one of Nikola's two unnecessary threads on Malayan Tigers, it was posted that some of the US animals have a bit of Sumatran blood in them. As such, the European population isn't going to be mixed with any US animals until all the mixed animals are sorted out of the US breeding population. I do think it is possible to import more animals from their native range, as the recently-closed RSCC did just last year.

~Thylo:cool:

3. jayjds2

The Tiger Sanctuary in Tyler, Texas claims to have a pure indochinese tiger but I haven't been there yet. They also say they have a hybrid between indochinese and something else. For Javan rhinos, the WWF did extensive (extremely extensive) research on the population. They noted at least 60 individuals, two of which were calves, and another which was pregnant. I think that at this point EVERY giraffe needs a conservation plan... That's why the mixes make me mad. What happened to the animals at RSCC (sad to clear they closed, the Nashville Zoo was working extensively with them)?

4. ThylacineAlive

Unless they've recently imported some without anyone realizing (which is not impossible), they don't have pure Indochinese.

I am well aware of the WWF's extensive research on the rhinos, I'm quite glad they're taking the initiative with it.

Nashville was indeed working with them. After the closing, they received many of their Sumatran Banded Civets and Palawan Binturongs.

5. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

What is RSCC and what they did last year?

6. ThylacineAlive

Rare Species Conservation Center. It was a zoo in the UK with a great collection that closed last year due to financial problems. They imported 1.1 Malayan Tigers.

7. Nikola Chavkosk

Sadly for them, and where did the Malayan tigers end up? And from where they have imported them (from US or Malaysia?)

Last edited: 13 Mar 2016
  8. jayjds2

Glad to hear that Nashville got the civets and binturongs. Perhaps the covers will be phased in. The binturongs born there were the first Palawan Binturongs born in the US, so I'm assuming what we have otherwise is a different species?

9. ThylacineAlive

It'd be nice but I'd imagine it'll heavily rely on the interest of other zoos. They have four unrelated pairs and have already bred them. Most I'd imagine are non-ssp but we do seem to have some pure subspecies about.

10. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

Some endangered and rare species...
    Spix's macaw
    Kakapo
    Pygmy hippopotamus
    Javan rhinoceros
    Sumatran rhinoceros
    Borneo pygmy elephant
    Addax
    Scimitar-horned oryx
    Ethiopian wolf
    Saiga
    Saola (if they can bee keep in captivity)
    Bay cat
    Kiwis
    Galapagos tortoise
    Pandas (giant and red)!
    Gorillas!
    Hoatzin (just because they're badass)
    Some rare breeds of snake, like panda pied ball python, dreamsicle b python, cow retic...

In aquariums...
    Hawksbill turtle
    Whale shark
    Ocean sunfish
    Beluga sturgeon
    Oarfish
    Alantic Bluefin tuna
    Baiji
    Vaquita
    Narwhal (i believe that they can be keep in captivity)
    Great white shark (i believe that they can be keep in captivity)
    Goblin shark (i believe that tey can be keep in captivity)
    Frilled shark (i believe that tey can be keep in captivity)

Sorry for my english, i'm brazilian...

11. Nikola Chavkosk

Is it easy to arrange some exports from Brazilian zoos, FelipeDBKO?

Will the Brazilian zoos sent some animals like jaguars, black howler monkeys, red howler monkeys, southern tamandua, jaguarundi, south-American bushmaster snakes, or Pompadour cotinga in oversea zoos, like in Eastern half of Europe?

Are these mentioned animals, well represented in Brazilian zoos?

Ok I will not ask for Golden lancehead (Bothrops insularis) :p

Last edited: 20 Mar 2016
  12. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The RSCC's tigers were transferred to Hamerton in England (the male) and Halle in Germany (the female). I think there was also an infant?

13. jayjds2

All three red howler species are found in Brazil. However, the only species which is captive in Brazil is not represented elsewhere in zoos. Same story for Guyanan red howler. The only species widespread outside of Brazil is the Venezuelan red howler- not captive in Brazil. Easiest place to export from would be Venezuela itself. All three species are a pain in the butt to care for.

14. Nikola Chavkosk

Thank you,

The population of Venezuelan red howler in Europe seems that it is expanding, with now 6 zoos in Europe holds them (actually 2 zoos are in South America s part of the French Guiana) - they can be the door for import of additional Venezuelans in Europe.

I know that the population in US is bigger, is in it?

Also the black howler monkey (with the white females), in Europe is well represented with at least 170 individual animals.

15. jayjds2

Quite the contrary. Only the Dallas World Aquarium (5-7 specimens) has this species. They imported five from Venezuela a while back. They were all confiscated in Venezuela, they were illegally in the pet trade.

16. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Don't necessarily trust Zootierliste; they are generally accurate but there's quite a bit of incorrect info on the website (it would take too long to list it all).

The French Guiana collection sources are photos on the websites. So they may not 100% have them.

Also Zootierliste lists them as Guyanan red howler, not Venezuelan.

17. Nikola Chavkosk

Aham Ok thank you, you may be right.

Actually the two French zoos, that are listed on ZooTierliste as having Venezuelan Red Howlers are on the French island, in the Carribean, as I saw on the map.

18. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

About exporting I have no idea.

And in my opinion, of the animals that you mentioned, the jaguar is the only who gets the deserved admiration. I'm just going in zoos occasionally, and that list the ones I've seen are jaguar (Zoológico de São Paulo, Zoologico de Guarulhos), howler monkeys (Zoológico de Guarulhos), southern tamandua (Aquário de São Paulo), bushmaster snake (Instituto Butantan) and golden lancehead (Instituto Butantan).

Some animals that are relatively easy to see here are jaguar, ocelot, margay, oncilla, armadillo, giant anteater, maned wolf, peccary, greater rhea, blue and yellow macaw, red and green macaw, toucans, king vulture, red footed tortoise, yellow footed tortoise, yellow eared slider, green iguana, tegu, boa constrictor, anaconda, rattlesnake, jararaca, coral snake, bushmaster snake, caimans, toads...

19. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Brasilia zoo, which is the national zoo of Brazil has 2 species of howler monkeys, 2 species of saki monkeys, varoius species of tamarins and marmosets. Sao Paulo zoo has all 3 species of lion marmosets,and varous brazilian marmosets off exhibit, as well as varoius interesting capuchin and spider monkeys species. Rio de janiero zoo has astounding primate collection, including 2 howler monkey species and a great marmoset and tamarin collection. You really have to look for the brazilian zoo websites with patience and they are in portuguese. I have visited all 3 collections and posted pictures on the zoochat galleries.
    Most Persons in Europe or the US do not really understand the great damage that the pet trade has done to Latin American wildlife populations. It has devasted many otherwise viable populations. Strict controls are really necesary. Export of native wildlife should not be encouraged, only of those animals that are bred in recognized zoos or wildlife centers. Even then, this must be strictly regulated. Do not expect this situation to change in the near future. I can underderstand similar restrictions in other countries, such as Australia, to defend endemic or native species.

20. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Although ZTL does indeed list one collection - Zoo de Guyane - as holding Guayanan Red Howler, the collections to which Nikola was referring *are* listed as holding Venezuelan Red Howler. Neither, however, are in French Guyana :p