Join our zoo community

What are your favourite bands?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by HungarianBison, 5 Dec 2020.

1. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

Mine are Queen, Depeche Mode and Guns'N Roses

2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

My favourite is Radiohead

Others I like are : The Smiths, Kate Bush, Goldfrapp, Led Zeppelin, Aphex twin, David Bowie, The Arctic Monkeys, The Cure, The Yeah, Yeah, Yeah's, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bjork, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, PJ Harvey, Ottis Redding, The clash, Bat for Lashes, The Stranglers, The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, The Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, Depeche mode, Blondie, The Kinks, Oasis, The Verve, Jimmy Hendrix, Brian Eno, Pink Floyd, Roxy Music, Blur, Gorrillaz, Florence and the Machine, The Who, Prince... I can't really remember anymore off of the top of my head right now but there are probably 100 more bands that I would add to that list.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2020
    HungarianBison likes this.
  3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Queen and Depeche Mode are great but I don't like Guns n' roses at all as I can't stand Axl Rose.

4. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

If you thought of Axl Rose's homophobia, I don't think that people must choose their favourite bands based on their ideology. I like the music of the bisexual Freddie Mercury as the music of Axl Rose:)

5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I didn't know he was homophobic actually, but now I know he is that is a reason to like him even less.

I don't like Axel Rose because I think he is just an arrogant pompous egotistical blowhard and I don't like people who have that kind of persona. That said, Rose's personality has nothing to do with my assessment, I just dont like the music of "Guns N' Roses", I just prefer 100 times more Led Zeppelin actually.

With me I will rarely dislike a band because of a singer who performs in that group, for example, I like "The Smiths" but I can't stand Morrissey as a human being.

It is a bit like science and conservation I guess (because science also has its primadonna rockstars).

Random example, I can admire the work of a scientist who works in the conservation of the mountain chicken and mitigating chytridiomycosis in its natural habitat in Dominica but I may truly dislike that same individual and his behaviour towards others on a personal level as a human being.

JT and HungarianBison like this.
  6. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

In mid 2018, my favorite band was Kaoma, because I liked their signature song (Lambada/Chorando se foi). Now, I don't have a favourite band or singer, but I'd like to highlight Metallica, Bon Jovi, The Clash, The Chords (bands), Alannah Myles and Bryan Adams (singers).

7. Tommy

Tommy Member 5+ year member

Probably Metallica and Black Sabbath

J I N X and HungarianBison like this.
  8. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Although I don't listen to music much anymore these days, my personal favorite bands are probably Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Rammstein, Motörhead and Slayer.

9. LowlandGorilla4

LowlandGorilla4 Well-Known Member

Top three are AJR, Imagine Dragons and Post Malone.
    On a slightly related note my favorite song of all time is Karma by AJR:

They also made my Baseball walkup song:

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  10. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Seems like I missed quite a few off of my first list:

Massive attack, Bruce springsteen, Kasabian, Death in Vegas, Mazzy star etc

11. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

I like rubber bands.

12. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Agree! I dare you to find a band that's more fun to play with.

CheeseChameleon1945 likes this.
  13. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    And you can technically make a makeshift cardboard box guitar by stretching rubber bands across it. Believe me, I've tried.

14. CheeseChameleon1945

Favorite actual bands would have to be Penguin Cafe Orchestra and that's about it. I like specific singers like Billy Joel, but really I just play music more often than I listen to it, have been playing violin for 9 years. I like fiddle music also.
    Queen is pretty nice too.

15. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Can't stand Billy Joel , just thought I'd mention that.

16. CheeseChameleon1945

Lots of people can't, So no offense taken. :p

17. PAKMan

PAKMan Well-Known Member

As a band, I'd have to go with Fleetwood Mac as my favorite. I was aware of their songs but didn't know the band's name until I saw their Behind the Music back in 1997. I've been a fan since, and actually saw them in Des Moines in the fall of 2018. It was a fantastic show. :)

Christopher Cross is my favorite individual singer. I grew up listening to him and am probably one of the only people my age (I'm 32) that even knows who he is. If COVID ever clears up, I have tickets to see him when he comes to the Chicago area.

I love music though, and there are plenty of other singers/groups that I'm a big fan of.

18. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

Being born in Los Angeles, some of the best bands started here. Not all of my favorites are from LA but here we go:

1. Metallica: started in LA prior to their move to San Francisco at request of Cliff Burton. Yes they aren’t anywhere near the aggressive, angsty young men they were. But just their first 5 albums are icons of the music scene. Kill Em All introduced the underground genre of thrash metal, a hybrid of punk and heavy metal. Ride The Lightning is a more well rounded group at this point, experimenting more and using music theory as well. Master Of Puppets, perhaps their magnum opus and was able to chart in the Billboards at 29 with very minimal radio time. And Justice For All is reeling expression from the tragic loss of Cliff Burton, along with one of the most craziest tours every endured. And The Black Album established them as music icons to the general public albeit at the change in their genre.

2. Aerosmith: mostly for their 70s discography, which seems to be overlooked often. But Toys In The Attic and Rocks are pinnacle hard rock albums that encapsulates the feel and sound of the 70’s. Steven Tyler and Joe Perry are quintessential frontman/guitarist combo along with the likes of Plant/Page, Jagger/Richards, Osborne/Iommi. They’ve been known to have “snorted all of Peru”, a jab at themselves due the copious amount of drugs they used.

3. Black Sabbath: without this band, heavy metal wouldn’t be what it is. Creating a heavy sound for the audience came with protest from parents alike, accusing of devil worship. However, they are one of the major bands of the late 60s/early 70’s that cemented their sound and you can’t confuse with other titans of the time such as Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones. Tony Iommi is one of the greatest guitarist to rip the fattest notes in regards to heavy metal.

4. David Bowie: this may be a cheat since he’s not a band but the virtuosity displayed by what I consider a musical chameleon as others would say, it’s hard to not love his music. My favorite albums, Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust, filled with iconic songs. Not a single song proceeding the next sounds like one another or a different take. And had success in multiple decades unlike many too.

5. Guns N Roses: with one of the best, most iconic, strongest debut albums, Appetite For Destruction, told you pretty much who they are and what the plan was from there on. Even at its time, approximately 1/2 or more of the songs on that single album charted on the Billboards. Not something often seen unless by the likes of other musical acts like Michael Jackson at the time. They had the scent and look of 80’s LA, being heavier and different from contemporary hair bands like Bon Jovi or Motley Crue.

19. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Muse, Stereophonics, Pulp, Blur, Kasabian, Oasis, Jamie T, The Smiths, The Clash, Squeeze, Florence & The Machine, Black Sabbath (I'm a Brummie, you have to have them or UB40 in your favourites, it's a tradition or an old charter or something!), ELO, Led Zeppelin, Metallica... But if you look at my Spotify playlist then the genres are a bit more diverse than my favourite bands would have you believe; there's indie, rock, dance, drum & bass, country, grime, hip hop, happy hardcore, r&b, classical, garage, heavy metal, and pop. A bit of everything really. :)

20. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Nomeansno
    Dead Kennedy's
    Sex Pistols
    Flux of Pink Indians
    Crass
    Conflict
    (the above was my punk stage in life, I still like it, I still like to be alternative)

Trance music
    (my nightclubbing days at Cream in Liverpool and Ibiza holidays)

I like The Beatles, Stones Roses, Queen, etc, good bands.

The rest, (being the majority) I don't like. I listen to Radio 4 to avoid music, as much of it is talentless tripe.