Join our zoo community

What camera should I buy?

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by Rayane, 11 Oct 2019.

1. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member

Hi,

I've been listing my sights in zoo for a few years now, and I would like to strat photographing the animals I get to see. I am a beginner BUT I've been shooting from times to times for the marketing department where I work, with a Canon EOS 550D.
    I have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever in photography and that's why I am asking you buys, expert photographs, what should I start with ?

Thank you

2. lintworm

lintworm Moderator Staff Member

It all depends on your budget

3. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member

Between 1 and 2000 I guess ?

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member

Just saying "what camera should I buy" is too general of a question. It would be like walking up to a group of strangers and asking what car should I buy? You would get a different answer from everyone. Since I am a published, semi-professional photographer I will give you an answer that I hope will help in your search. (But I cannot name one model and say you should buy this camera).

First you have to honestly ask yourself how much equipment you will carry around on your zoo visits. If a full size camera with changeable lenses (like the 550D you have been using) will get left home a lot because you don't feel like carrying it, then you should get something smaller like a camera with a built-in lens. Or get a new "mirrorless" system that is smaller than a regular SLR but still takes changeable lenses (Sony and Fuji are the leaders). If you do not mind carrying a larger camera then the two leading brands are Canon and Nikon. They both have a lot of lens options, but for general zoo shooting you probably want something like a 70-300 or 80-400 lens. Any model from these makers will give you outstanding results. Since modern cameras are so good, it is best to buy a cheaper camera body and spend more money on a better lens. With camera lenses the old saying is true that you get what you pay for. If there is a good camera store in the city where you live then my best advice is to visit them and explain the kind of pictures you want to take and they will help you.

twilighter, Terry Thomas and Rayane like this.
  5. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member

All good advise!

Arizona Docent likes this.