Join our zoo community

Dallas Zoo What could Dallas Zoo do with the site of the Monorail?

Discussion in 'United States' started by StoppableSan, 5 May 2021.

Tags:
  1. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In light of the Dallas Zoo permanently closing its monorail due to COVID-19, what are some ideas that could do justice to the space? Given that they already have a multispecies savanna, maybe they could do something like another walking trail/expansion going through the original biomes? (Mountain, Woodland, River, Desert, Grassland, etc.)

Corbett477 and Jambo like this.
  2. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

I think a walking trail would be the most practical option for the old monorail, and the one that they seem to be going for in the near future. As much as I loved the old monorail, I would probably prefer a walking path, as it would make it much easier to see the animals, and take pictures of them. I imagine it being close to what my home zoo is doing with its old monorail tracks. The only problem is that one side would likely be walled off due to that side exposing behind the scenes areas, which could take away from the emersion a bit, but honestly it probably would stand out that much.

3. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

An elevated path with a wood fence on the side blocking the off exhibit areas could work.