Join our zoo community

What does (2.4) mean?

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by Mac, 4 Jun 2023.

1. Mac

Mac Active Member

Hi there. I couldn't find anything posted previously, and being a new member I'm quite baffled. Can anybody help me understand what the two numbers separated by a point/colon mean? I usually see it when people are describing a zoo's collection, and assume it means the number of male/female members there are of that species in the collection. However, I have also seen this in reference to a particular member of a collection, e.g. 0.1 [NAME] - [IMPORT/BIRTH INFO]. Could anybody help advise me on this, and/or any other common abbreviations/similar that may pop up from time to time? Thank you all so much! Going to put this photo of mine here to give you something semi/interesting to have a look at. Again, thank you!

Kalaw likes this.
  2. Nile Hippo Expert

Nile Hippo Expert Well-Known Member

It means males to females. 1:0 means male, 0:1 means female. 5:7 for example means 5 males, 7 females.

Mac and Kalaw like this.
  3. Mac

Mac Active Member

Thank you so much for such a quick response. Great information to know, thank you!!

4. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The full convention is: male.female.unknown (1.1.1)

E.g. a troop of baboons with an unsexed infant could be 3.15.1

Mac likes this.
  5. Mac

Mac Active Member

Again, thank you SO much! I didn't think of asking that to be honest as I've only seen it a couple times and forgot. Thank you!

Zoofan15 likes this.